LegacyGT.com

JDM bumper conv. count

panamajack

I just found this thread and omg! Quick question tho - when you install the bumper and go through the route where you hack the bumper beam - are there any safety implications? (i.e. airbags / frontal impact etc.)?

And muscle - where did you get in done? I'm from markham too - and I'm looking into the conversion :D

If you take a look at KDMAI's install posted above; he's used the JDM Bumper beam and energy absorber, this makes the JDM conversion a bolt-on and you don't "hack" anything.... an achievable DIY if you have the tools and the time ( and hopefully a buddy to help ya, right? )

GW

JapanpartsLLC

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
I remember you could buy the jdm spec B bumper conversion "kit" from avo. I just looked it up however and now all they have are the front and rear conversion for $1650? They also dont seem to have the jdm grills anymore.. Did they trim their inventory? Bummer..
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I remember you could buy the jdm spec B bumper conversion "kit" from avo. I just looked it up however and now all they have are the front and rear conversion for $1650? They also dont seem to have the jdm grills anymore.. Did they trim their inventory? Bummer..

It seems like ppl have had more bad than good experiences with avo, japanparts.com is the way to go

It's such a shame you guys are in USA and I'm in Australia... I want to know if I need to get a new backbeam or foam absorber, or whether I can use my standard one!

the Australian front bar is the JDM GT model. I don't know if we have the USDM-type rear bar or the JDM-type rear. Can anyone tell?

(old photo)

http://www.tangcla.com/temp/bl5/tangcla/IMG_1658.jpg

It's such a shame you guys are in USA and I'm in Australia... I want to know if I need to get a new backbeam or foam absorber, or whether I can use my standard one!

the Australian front bar is the JDM GT model. I don't know if we have the USDM-type rear bar or the JDM-type rear. Can anyone tell?

(old photo)

http://www.tangcla.com/temp/bl5/tangcla/IMG_1658.jpg

all models in the world except for the ones in the states are refered as the JDM models. the ones you get in down under are definately JDM. if you take a photo of the side of your car and compare it to one from the states, you'll see that your rear bumper is shorter, which is the JDM one.

if you intend to ever do the JDM Spec B Front end swap, it's just a direct swap for you. no need to buy bumper beams and that lot.

^ Not exactly true. Front bumpers JDM/EDM front are the same (except EDM never got the GT SpecB style, just 3.0R SpecB style).

However at least on wagons, rear bumpers are unique and specific to Japan, even Europe and Australia get fat wagon bumpers. Possibly not as fat as USDM ones, but the "rear shelf" is very noticeable.

I think that applies to sedans as well, but not really sure.

Ok anyone here know another LGT owner that has completed a front JDM STI conversion for a 2008 LGT (spec B?)? I am hearing two different answers:

1) 08 conversion require the JDM bumper beam / spoiler / grill / under tray only and everything is a bolt on or....

2) 08 conversion requires everything up top + hood and fenders because the USDM LGT's are 2 inches longer???

Please tell me that option (2) is wrong??? I don't mind spending money for the bumper kit, grill, fog lights, JDM bumper beam but DO NOT want to get a new hood and fenders. Any help on this topic would be great (only seconds away from ordering the kit for japanparts).

• 2 weeks later...

stoped under a Dodge Ram. Aparently guy was in a stolen car or expired license or something as he just kept going, which is good for my insurance! ;)

the kit contains everything minus the hood so I have to contemplate, put the JDM bumper and keep her for two years minimum (she is paid off) or repair with stock bits for less and ge the STi.

has anyone on here just done the regular spec b instead of the gt spec b? Does anyone know if this one will fit the 2005? The one pictured says 2007, but I don't know if they are the same.

http://japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middlesmall=2%3A11&maker=&volkey=107-048-001

japanparts.com has kits for the front and rear bumper for just the spec b and I think this one looks better than the gt spec b. However I don't know if this one will fit a 2005, the one in the picture says 2007.

Well, as of last night, I need a new grill, bumper, hood.

Might go the JDM route if I decide to keep the wagon.

Well I'm in about the same boat. Got in an accident last night and I'm looking into doing the JDM conversion. I'm pretty sure I will need new grill, bumper, hood, both headlights and maybe fenders. Is there an US vendor that will have the kit in stock? Or do I have to order it from japanparts? What kind of shipping time am I looking at ordering from japanparts?

10% Discount on all Parts to LegacyGT members, can't discount the Freight because that's done at Cost....

**JapanParts Offer is good until the end of December 2006**

PM or email me for a quote to destination; you'll need to advise the Year of your car, the Color/Color code and what parts y'want for the conversion

Parts link below:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=1&car=6&middlesmall=2%3A11&maker=&volkey=107-024

And Foglights:

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=107-029-003

http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=&car=&middlesmall=&maker=&volkey=107-029-004

Graham Ware

Export Manager

gware@japanparts.com

There.

If you need fenders, might as well do a 08 conversion ;)

There.

If you need fenders, might as well do a 08 conversion ;)

I thought about it but I'm not sure if '08 HID's will need harness mods. From what's on japanparts it looks like the frog lights will need some mods to the harness... I don't know of anyone that actually did a 08 conversion so not sure if I want to be the guinea pig. Looks like the safe route is the spec B bumper kit with a JDM mesh grill, still debating about the fog lights. I pm Graham already so I will see what he says.

Archived