LegacyGT.com

2nd Edition Bosal Catback Review...

edmundu

I think it's interesting that Bosal would even attempt to market this system.

They were basically given all the R&D from Subaru to design an exhaust system that fit like factory, had factory like quality and a performance tone. Then, IMHO they purposely release a sub-quality exhaust with the SPT name on it that is horribly received by the Legacy aftermarket because of its questionable quality.

So Subaru halts sales of the exhaust until they can ensure the quality that they are expecting. Bosal is uncooperative and then Subaru cancels the contract and now Bosal has supposedly "fixed" the quality issues and is going to release the exhaust under it's own name?

S.O.A. should sue Bosal for releasing such crap in the first place that has now damaged S.O.A. and SPT's brand image, and for using Subaru's own R&D fitment to produce an unlicensed product.

First let me preface this with I'm no bosal cheerleader, and am a bit concerned about warranty clams with bosal products after this debauchery.

However from what I heard they didn't get that much for R&D of the system. Also I'm not sure they'll make more as an aftermarket as opposed to SPT part. I'm willing to pay a little bit more for an SPT part (that makes a performance difference) than an aftermarket one since it's one less part a dealer can hassle me about on warranty clams.

As for lawsuit, what happened with the bosal up pipe? (I don't know but I would expect the same thing will happen here.) I do believe that SOA should sue/settle for all R&D expenses plus lost SPT catback revenue as bosal failed any semblance of QC.

Bottom line regardless of lawsuit I think both SOA and bosal lost out on this deal.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did anyone hook this exhaust up to a wagon?

I'm interested in seeing how far recessed it is... or does Bosal make a different longer exhaust for the wagon?

Right now, the only real aesthetic option for me is the Greddy SP2 but I wouldn't mind quieter exhaust.

Thanks.

It's been a while since I've chimed in on this exhaust system problem. We have scraped the old tooling and have made all new tooling. I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone so lets not flame anyone. There's a lot I can't talk about but I will answer as many questions as I can. There is a 3 year warranty on our exhaust system and it covers defects and rust through, no road hazards. If you have one of our systems please fax (973-428-8856) me your invoice and I will send out brand new mufflers, both right and left. I must have proof of purchase. Any Subaru dealer that still has systems in stock I will replace those mufflers also. Again I am sorry and am doing everything in my power to get things corrected. Before, we sell these to our jobbers, I need to make sure all warranties are taken care of. As far as uppipes those will be available shortly as I'm just waiting for boxes to ship them in. If you need to contact me directly you can call me @ 1-800-631-7271 x 227

Thank you for your time and patience,

Mike

It's been a while since I've chimed in on this exhaust system problem. We have scraped the old tooling and have made all new tooling. I don't want to get into a pissing match with anyone so lets not flame anyone. There's a lot I can't talk about but I will answer as many questions as I can. There is a 3 year warranty on our exhaust system and it covers defects and rust through, no road hazards. If you have one of our systems please fax (973-428-8856) me your invoice and I will send out brand new mufflers, both right and left. I must have proof of purchase. Any Subaru dealer that still has systems in stock I will replace those mufflers also. Again I am sorry and am doing everything in my power to get things corrected. Before, we sell these to our jobbers, I need to make sure all warranties are taken care of. As far as uppipes those will be available shortly as I'm just waiting for boxes to ship them in. If you need to contact me directly you can call me @ 1-800-631-7271 x 227

Thank you for your time and patience,

Mike

Thanks Mike

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Does anyone know the material this is made of and the dimensions of the tubing throughout the system? I am interested in this and would also like to know if it will bolt to aftermarket down pipes. I am sure any down pipe that will bolt to stock exhaust will bolt to the Bosal?

Does anyone know the material this is made of and the dimensions of the tubing throughout the system? I am interested in this and would also like to know if it will bolt to aftermarket down pipes. I am sure any down pipe that will bolt to stock exhaust will bolt to the Bosal?

Yes....pick the DP and it will bolt to all of them.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Just thought I'd post an update, while I was backing into a slot in the parking deck, I distinctly noted how much better the exhaust note was bouncing off the concrete wall.

I had been so used to the leaking cans, that it took me by surprise! This Bosal catback, really does have a nice tone/note to it. Nice and burbly, but not offensive. Truly the best of both worlds!

And wow, Bosal is actually offering a much better warranty than even SOA/SPT did! 3yrs...:woowoo:

Thanks again Mike for taking care of me! It was worth the wait.

Based on information I just received...I would like to apologize to Bosal for the harsh comments I made earlier and I'm sure the details I received will be made public very soon. It is safe to say that Bosal is making things "right" regarding the SPT exhaust.

Opie, much appreciated. thank you. There are just some things that I have no control over and have to depend on others. But as you said I'm trying my hardest to correct the problem.

Mike

Rudy, sorry not at this time. If this system is put on the SW the tips will be behind the valance, not a good thing. If you know a good exhaust shop they should be able to cut the tips off and extend them by about 2".

Ohhhhh.....but it does........

Maybe not for the impreza line but for the LGT....

Look @ the data behind the SPT intake...:lol::lol::lol:

For SPT to put there name on a product & charge what they do is a joke. But wait...I keep my full warranty with the SPT line....:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Ohhhhh.....but it does........

Maybe not for the impreza line but for the LGT....

Look @ the data behind the SPT intake...:lol::lol::lol:

For SPT to put there name on a product & charge what they do is a joke. But wait...I keep my full warranty with the SPT line....:rolleyes:

Got to disagree with you here...

I've owned several SPT products over the years on several different Subaru models and until the recent exhaust fiasco had never been dissatisfied with the pricing, performance, appearance or quality of any of the SPT products. In addition to Bosal some of the top names in aftermarket also develop parts specifically for SOA; Eibach, HKS, KYB and DeeZee to name a few and SPT is the U.S. distributorship for the STi products that SOA picks to market here.

So they've had a couple of "issues" with the Legacy accessory releases, there are quite a few other companies with products for Legacy that have also had issues...some far worse (and potentionally dangerous) than the exhaust Rev.1 problems.

Are they the end all line of products for the Subaru? No, but they are usually a great alternative to some of the other brand parts that are out there.

And on the intake "data"...everyone knows that intakes on Subaru's very, very rarely produce any tangable gains. But intakes still make up for 80% of the first aftermarket purchases that young new car buyers make. So can you fault Subaru for offering one?

Opie...

As I stated the LGT line of items is a joke.....

For SPT it seems to be the Impreza line or nothing..

& we all know even even Subaru aftermarket parts guys think the LGT is a joke when it comes to performance:rolleyes:

I guess the bottom line for me is, SPT has done VERY little for the LGT owners & what they have done is sub-par:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived