LegacyGT.com

What cars were you considering at the time you bought your Subaru...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TSX- good looks, great interior, great price, but didnt like the FWD or the only 200-hp

WRX/STi- soon lost its luster when the Legacy was cheaper to insure, bigger, faster, and better looking

RX-8- the horrid fuel mileage, rotary reliability concerns and shrinking horsepower numbers didnt interest me.

G35- was just a little out of my price range, and with the Legacy being such a nice package, I wouldnt justify the premium.

All these I considered... USED!

1. Audi A4 or A6

2. Mazda P5

3. Mazda 3 hatch (new)

4. Toyota Matrix

5. VW Jetta wagon

Glad I got my LGT Suby... NEW!

Realised I really wanted/ needed a wagon, so that narrowed the list.

Then after checking reliability and crash rating... then after the test drive!!!... Here I am!!:)

1. Evo

2. STI

3. BMW 330xi (Used)

Chose the Legacy because I wanted something a little bigger and more luxurious than the Evo and Sti and I could get it for $7k less (in addition to considerable savings on insurance.)

Used 330xi was still overpriced and the eventual test drive in the LGT sold me. It delivered the most for the money.

Though I haven't bought anything yet, here's what else I'm considering:

'03 G35

'04 Accord V6

'03 TL type S

But really, it's not much of a competition. The Legacy is the only one with AWD and performance in a package I can afford. The Accord is just too slow, though 29 MPG is tempting. The TL has transmission troubles, seems most modern Honda autos do. The G35 is RWD, which honest I'd like to avoid (can't afford the G35x, too bad :()

1) 06 Mustang GT - Fast and Fun. I love america and really wanted to buy american but the interior blew and I am not satisfied with the direction ford motor company is heading.

2) 06 Dodge Charger R/T - ^ See Above. (substitute chrysler)

3) 06 RX-8 - Was within $500 bucks of getting it. It had an appearance packange and was black like I wanted. Fun to drive but not as fast as I wanted and heard the rotary engine had problems. Also, there were these two college chicks behind me who said they would

buy it if I didn't. So they weren't willing to work with me enough. I am happy though :D

4) 06 S2000 - Fun Fun Fun. But my wife and I are going to start having kids and even though we have a tribeca I still wanted to be somewhat practical :)

5) 06 Mazda Miata - ^ See Above

6) 06 STI - After missing out on the rx-8 we went to the subaru dealer and got the plates for our new tribeca. While I was there I walked around and saw a blue sti. My buddy who works there wasn't able to get me enough off on it because they were so popular so I looked around and saw the LGT. Love at first sight!

TSX & Mazda6 were on my short list as well as the LGT (all with manual tranny's). Going in, I though the TSX was going to be the winner hands down. Drove it first, was mildly impressed but not bowled over. Then drove a LGT, was very impressed with how solid it felt. Then drove a Mazda6, it did better than I thought, but clearly the TSX and LGT were more refined (they cost more, so they better be). Then drove an automatic TSX which confirmed for me why I'd much rather have a manual, the auto took all the fun out of driving, may as well get an Accord. I did drive the TSX over the same roads that I drove the Mazda6 and LGT over, which confirmed that the LGT was quieter and rode smoother. I'd recommend this to anyone test driving vehicles: Drive them over the same roads! Anyways, I then drove another LGT and fell in love with the midrange torque, the Mazda6 and TSX don't have torque compared to the LGT.

I'm hearing the same things over and over again about the LGT...I remember I was at a light once and someone in a white LGT kept up with me and then just punched it and I saw it fly right by. It looks very clean. Turns out it was just a test drive from the Subaru dealer when I went to go talk to a salesperson. :)

In any case, Looks like all I need to do is put a down payment on this car and get it over with...sounds like a winner to me. :)

Honda Accord V6: The ride was too sudtle and mushy feeling for me. Don't like FWD that much either.

Acura TL: Transmission problems like crazy with these cars scared me too much.

RX-8: I liked it a lot but really needed a sedan.

LGT: Perfect combination of economy/practicality and speed/handling. Plus it was the best looking in my book.

TSX- good looks, great interior, great price, but didnt like the FWD or the only 200-hp

WRX/STi- soon lost its luster when the Legacy was cheaper to insure, bigger, faster, and better looking

RX-8- the horrid fuel mileage, rotary reliability concerns and shrinking horsepower numbers didnt interest me.

G35- was just a little out of my price range, and with the Legacy being such a nice package, I wouldnt justify the premium.

I thought the RX-8 was supposed to be quite reliable? And whats that about shrinking horsepower?

Wanted a WRX STI but was gonna settle for a WRX but then I saw a red LGT and said wow thats a pretty car, what is it? Found out it had the drivetrain I wanted, and I was sold.

I was also looking at the Tacoma, Altima SER, and the 4Runner.

Hah, the rx-8 is in about 80% of peoples choices :) The rotary engine has had many problems it seems, like extremely hot and huge oil consumption. Supposedly the AC has a tough time keeping that car cool thanks to the engine. Also, with these new SAE(?) ratings, the HP for the car is dropping I believe.

Cadillac CTS

Audi A4 & A3

Acura TSX

Volvo s40 & v50

Lexus IS250

I don't even remember how I ended up test driving LGT. But LGT won hands down on value, fan factor, Interior styling, options..etc. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the front end styling. I'm growing to like it but I still wish USDM style was same as JDM. JDM looks much nicer.

I thought the RX-8 was supposed to be quite reliable? And whats that about shrinking horsepower?

From what I've read, the horsepower ratings for the JPN version of the rotary engine were published in the US market, which was then 'corrected'. I've also heard the RX8 has had reliability issues.

Before I got my Outback, I consider a car that can haul such a big stuff.. I had Taurus sedan and I couldn't even take ONKYO Movie system... Neither for the big toy for baby.. So, I consider minivan but my wife didn't want to be looked like a soccer mom... An SUV, she doesn't like drive on high position. That's why I got outback... It can haul big stuff and drive like a sedan..

When I got LGT.. I looked for BMW 325, 330, Lexus IS, MB C class, Acura RSX...

Bimmer is bit pricy and IS is not impressive... was told C class is not a genuine MB... RSX is a coupe and it's the last year..

That's why I got LGT sedan...

From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

I considered the Pontiac G6 GTP even though I hate FWD. I figured it would be a good family car for the money. My wife and I went to the dealership and there were none to be found. They only had low-end inexpensive models.

Not only were their no GTP models, but their were no models with leather (3 months wait) and none with an MT (9 months wait!). I figured hell, if the Americans can't make the car that I want and have it on lot, then I'll look for something else.

I'd always heard good things about Subaru, so we checked it out. The salesman first showed me a WRX -- I almost decided on it until I saw the 2.5i Limited Legacy (5MT of course). I decided on the Legacy due to the leather (a requirement for us for durability reasons) and other luxury features (my wife likes dual air conditioning). I was so happy that I could get an MT sedan WITH AWD and luxury features for only $25k. Even though I really would have liked the GT Limited, it wasn't in our budget. The 163 HP (CA version) is more than adequate for regular city driving and it's great on gas.

The salesperson was an idiot -- he told me that you couldn't get leather in the WRX even though I asked about it specifically. Now I'm pissed 'cause I see that there's a WRX Limited with leather -- I'm pretty sure I would have gotten that instead if I'd known it existed.

The Legacy's bigger than the WRX and more practical, but my wife has a 2004 Camry SE (225HP - nice) to cover the "practical" territory. Oh well -- next time I'll do some more research. Getting my Legacy was an "impulse buy". I love the car (despite its quirks and that brake problem y'all experience) and I'll definitely get another Subaru when the time comes. The G.D. salesperson didn't tell me the Spec B was arriving soon (I bought my Legacy in 8/05) either -- I defintely would have saved up for it!

Archived