LegacyGT.com

What cars were you considering at the time you bought your Subaru...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know a couple of people who have them, that's why we looked at it... But I just really didn't like it... I mean Reallllly didn't like it...:nono: and I am a fan of some of the Volkswagen products... I do like the Taureg (spelling?) and jetta's... But the passat.... shudder....:icon_mrgr

It would be interesting to know exactly why you didn't like it. (Certainly, "smilies" don't really add anything useful to the discussion.)

If hot acceleration is very important to people (and I think it's way overrated), they aren't going to like the diesel VW much. Not every car is going to appeal to everybody.

The current Jetta TDI (too bad there's no wagon) has a very nice driving character (really). And a better appreciation of these vehicles will come with $6 a gallon fuel.

Another thing, is that having wierd cars around (and the TDIs are a bit wierd, at least in the US), is interesting. And there is, also (oddly), a fair amount of interest in modding of the TDIs (just like the Subarus). And they have some of the same pragmatic appeal that the Subarus have.

I'm sort of surprized at the strong emotion people have about cars. Especially, concidering that a car is just a car (and for their essential purpose, there are many that statisfy this purpose very well).

Anyway, the TDIs (in any form) don't really any sense unless you drive many miles per year (+20k miles a year.

Your Legacy 2.5i Sedan is a really good balance of cost/quality/size/safety/driving/fuel economy. (All that it is missing is the practicality of the wagon!)

If that is how you feel, why are you on an enthusiasts' website? :confused:

Maybe, because it might be a reasonable place to learn about the cars people are enthusiastic about! Heck, one of the good things about the Subarus is that people like the things!

It's OK (really) to be enthusiastic about things but, in some cases, it appears that a few people become irrational fanatics (which isn't, in my opinion, a good thing).

All 2006 Model Years

Acura TL

Saab 93 SportCombi Aero

Legacy 2.5 GT Limited (non Spec B)

Mazda 3 all decked out -- figured I'd save about $10-15 Grand...until I tried to go test drive one...and realized that I did not even come close to fitting in that car.

got my Spec B about a month ago, and have zero regrets. Absolutely LOVE the car, and would not trade it in for anything else on the road.

BTW, Yukonart -- Nice STi! Sorry you got rid of it...I don;t usually care for the Sti styling, but yours looked very nice!

I'm sort of surprized at the strong emotion people have about cars. Especially, concidering that a car is just a car (and for their essential purpose, there are many that statisfy this purpose very well).

Yes but the car is man's closest creation to being human.

Its moves, some talk, mine has two eyes (headlights), a mean smile, and a unibrow(bug deflector). They can get pissed and not start or impress your friends.

06 Vw passat 2.0t value edition.

06 Infiniti G35

06 STI

06 Mazdaspeed 6

then i bought the legacy.

After i bought the legacy i realized that i could have gotten an EVO 9 for the damn same price.

I was interested in:

05 Subaru WRX wagon

05 Subaru WRX

Mazdaspeed 6

Mazda RX8

Legacy GT

My trade-in: 1997 Subaru Outback Sport (98K miles)

The wife picked out the LGT, while car shopping with her dad. Next weekend I was at the dealership to test drive it. I immediately fell in love with how refined and graceful it drove compared to the Impreza-base cars. Then I flew to Maui for a vacation, came back and bought the LGT. It wasn't hard for her to sell me on the Legacy. I've always like them.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

^--- I am with you. I am all subaru's (tribeca and lgt right now, had a wrx and outback) then I plan to go to bmw's :D Let's hope a bachelors and masters pays off :)

Now why would you want to go and do a thing like that? BMW's are overrated. They are good cars, but Maintenace is expensive, parts are expensive, and you can't work on them yourself. They all look the same, even when they make changes, they still look the same. And will they ever change that damn grill?

Sorry but no thanks. My Subaru LGT has eveything a BMW 3 series has for $10K cheaper, plus it looks a helluva lot cooler!:icon_cool

But can you get a m3 in a subaru? They have no competition to that. Can you get a 5 series style subaru, no. Can you get a 7 series style subaru, no. Can you get a roadster or hard top coupe... no :)

I am not dissing on Subaru's, but if I want a two door sports car in the future I am going to have to leave Subaru regardless of how much I love them.

I agree, the models that match up to BMW that Subaru offers are awesome and some could find them better (I think the LGT is better than all 3 series models except for the new twin turbo). But it is what Subaru doesn't offer that would make me move to BMW! :)

Lately I've just lost my love for BMW's (probably right after the body-style change in 04-05). My parents drive BMW's (they have since the early 90's). They have a 2004 7-series, and a 2004 X5 right now. I've driven both vehicles on many occasions (and all of the other ones they've owned in the past). As always, they are solid performers and they drive great. But so does my Subaru.

If you want M3 times, then just flash your LGT to a stage 1 (or 2):icon_wink

The wife is talking about buying a 3-series for her next car, I said "no way":lol:

I hear ya on the 2-door coupe point though. You have to go somehwere else for that (unless you wnat a used SVX lol).

And wait...did you say BMW is coming out with a twin turbo 3-series? Ok, forget everything I just said...:lol:

Lately I've just lost my love for BMW's (probably right after the body-style change in 04-05). My parents drive BMW's (they have since the early 90's). They have a 2004 7-series, and a 2004 X5 right now. I've driven both vehicles on many occasions (and all of the other ones they've owned in the past). As always, they are solid performers and they drive great. But so does my Subaru.

If you want M3 times, then just flash your LGT to a stage 1 (or 2):icon_wink

The wife is talking about buying a 3-series for her next car, I said "no way":lol:

I hear ya on the 2-door coupe point though. You have to go somehwere else for that (unless you wnat a used SVX lol).

And wait...did you say BMW is coming out with a twin turbo 3-series? Ok, forget everything I just said...:lol:

Yep, a twin turbo model. It will be called a 335i. 300+ HP

Yep, a twin turbo model. It will be called a 335i. 300+ HP

Awesome! I'll have to check it out and tell the wife, she is also interested in the new Lexus IS (the 306 HP F/R model). Too bad you can't get the big engine in the AWD model on these cars though:(

Awesome! I'll have to check it out and tell the wife, she is also interested in the new Lexus IS (the 306 HP F/R model). Too bad you can't get the big engine in the AWD model on these cars though:(

Here's the last paragraph from Edmunds on the IS 350. Very interesting:

But in the End

In fact, if you were to ask us, "What's the most advanced, refined and confident sport sedan under $40,000 today?" we'd very likely tell you it's the Lexus IS 350. And if you then asked us, "Which modern sport sedan would you most like to own and drive?" we'd tell you "The BMW 3 Series."

A very solid, capable and desirable luxury sedan the IS 350 is. And if you simply focus on acceleration numbers, you could even say it's "the new standard of class-leading performance." Now, where are the BMW keys?

If I had money to blow, I think the IS 350 would be an incredible car to own. My in-laws drive lexus's (LS430, SC430) and they are both wonderful cars. I, along with you Dick, wish that you could get an AWD IS 350. We can only hope I guess :)

Here is the link to the twin turbo 3 series.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futurevehicles/new3coupe/default

But can you get a m3 in a subaru? They have no competition to that. Can you get a 5 series style subaru, no. Can you get a 7 series style subaru, no.

5 series and 7 series "style?" :icon_conf You lost me there...

There are some nice things about BMWs, but style is not one of them. At least not in the current lineup. The E90 3 series sedan and wagon are pretty good looking, but they're not striking and everything else is bland (E90 coupe), ugly (5 and 6 series), or just weird looking (the rest).

Ok, let me lay down easy :) If you were to compare where the LGT stood against BMW's it would be against the 3 Series. The 5 Series offer more room and Subaru doesn't have anything that competes with that type of car. Same with the 7 Series. I am not refering to style as in looks, but more along the lines of the "type" of car it is. :)

Yes but the car is man's closest creation to being human.
Au Contraire. Have you seen some of those little japanese robots? They have opposable thumbs and everything. They make a dog now too.

Currently, I'm shopping for 3 cars..2 of which are Subarus and the other is just a plain sedan. I'm curious what other cars or even SUVs you looked at before you bought a Subaru. I have a great contact at Subaru so I don't think pricing will be an issue cause I'm putting down 50%. I hate high car payments. In any case, I just want to hear from you guys and gals about your shopping experiences. I've been to the Subaru dealer a couple times and they have always been awesome to deal with even when I'm there to poke around and ask questions. :)

Toyota RAV V6

Passat wagon

Subie Outback & Forrester

Passat wagon had the nicest interior, and by far, the best transmission (tiptronic)but the LGT wagon stole the show on acceleration, handling, winter expectations, and value. Plus VW reliability & service have been getting some hard knocks, both in the press & from friends who own one. RAV 4 was also a nice vehicle, but drove more like a truck (higher center of gravity). The Outback & Forrester were nice, but again, handling was not as firm as the Legacy (i.e. more body roll & bouncing around corners & over bumps).

Overall, if I had to think of one area for improvement in the 2005 Legacy that could benefit driving performance, it would probably be the transmission (I got the 5 speed automatic). Some Turbo lag, and occaisisonal, unexpected lags or surges in power occur, although staying in manual sportshift mode and relying on chosen shift point (RPM's) rather than throttle alone to manage acceleration around town definitely help to overcome both lag & surging. This is the first car I've owned in which the Tach has become the most important gage.

I've had the 2005 LGT wagon now for about 4 months, and have had it back to the dealer 2-3 times for routine maintainance, and a couple of minor warranty repairs. Despite a major remodeling effort causing chaos at the delaership for all who work there, service has always been prompt, knowledgeable, and courteous.

This is the first car I've ever owned that is really fun to drive, as well as being practical & versatile. Thumbs up across the board!

Archived