LegacyGT.com

What cars were you considering at the time you bought your Subaru...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sold my BMW in September 2004, so that is when I started seriously shopping.

Saturn VUE Redline - What was I thinking? Such a POS, I didn't even test drive it. I think that I may have offended the saleslady....

Volvo S40/V50 - Cars were new to the market. Local dealers didn't have any with M/T. Website sucked, so I had no idea what the price would be equipped the way I wanted.

Used / CPO E46 330i 4 door with sport package + MT -- Yeah, right. Nice car, shoulda held out until I found one. Nobody within 1000 miles had one with reasonable miles.

5MT TSX -- People slam this car because it has no power. C+D says they are capable of a mid 15 second 1/4 mile, and I am old enough to remember when this was fast. Had no problem with the power, and was very impressed with the handling and "tossability", considering it is FWD. Nobody had a 5MT/Nav in any of my color choices anywhere in California. 2004s weren't being shipped anymore, and the dealers had no idea when the 2005s would arrive, nor did they know how much they would cost. I am not sure who Honduh/Acura's customer base is, but they seem to be sheep that will line up and wait 6 mos to buy cars at sticker price because they think the cars are better.....

-- Steve

2006 Saab 9-3 Aero - closest competitor to the LGT, was seriously considering it, but I got a great offer on LGT so I went for it. Only other one I would opt if not the LGT.

2006 Acura TSX - nice but engine left me looking for more power.

2006 Acura TL - at $36,000, it was too expensive for me, plus too many around.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 - I discarded due to issues with heat soaking powerloss.

My basic requirements were a manual transmission, AWD, and folding rear seats. A wagon wasn't a requirement but was preferred. I was only replacing my last car to get AWD. Only "sport" suspensions were considered when applicable. All of these cars had upsides, but since this is focusing on what I didn't buy I'm just listing the major downsides:

E46 330xi - expensive for any given year/mileage; buried in the car feeling

E46 325xit (t = wagon) - too slow (and changing that would be major $$$); kinda ugly (just the wagon - the E46 sedan & coupe look nice IMO); buried in the car feeling

E90 325xit (wagon) - not slow enough for a veto like the E46 version but only by a slim margin (and again, changing that would be major $$$); expensive; buried in the car feeling? (I haven't even sat in one yet)

B5 S4 wagon - small back seat; I don't trust VW/Audi reliability (though in hindsight my LGT has only been so-so reliability-wise); 2.7T's expensive maintenance even for zee Germans

B7 A4 2.0T wagon - expensive (unless I waited a while for lots of used ones to come on the market); same small back seat; likely same VW/Audi (lack of) reliability; buried in the car feeling

2006 WRX wagon/9-2X Aero - back seat too small; Subaru version is ugly

I'll list the 2005 LGT wagon's major downsides for comparison:

- somewhat sloppy suspension (not compared to, say, a Camry, but compared to some of the cars listed above)

- questionable build quality (How hard is it to get the center stack/console right? My 93 Saturn hand-me-down put it to shame panel gap-wise, and I've seen pics of a lot of other Legacies/Outbacks with panel gaps as bad as mine. There's even been threads about it.)

Also, all of the cars above, including the LGT, suffer from a generally distant driving feel. The WRX definately suffers the least, but they all suffer some. Yes, I'd have to sacrafice some of their refinement to get more feel, but that's a tradeoff I'm more than willing to make. I've read that the BMWs really come alive at the track, but that doesn't help me much.

I'd also like to touch on the slow acceleration I mentioned with some of the cars above. I care about both subjective and objective acceleration - the former for driving enjoyment and the latter for safe passing and merging. They're all quick enough objectively for local around-town and freeway driving, but passing safely on two lane roads without a lot of room can be another story. Especially when the two lane roads are thousands of feet above sea level with the corresponding thin air. Here's how that breaks down with the cars listed above:

LGT: Quick enough subjectively and objectively.

E46 330xi: Quick enough objectively but slightly sluggish subjectively.

E46 325xit: Too slow subjectively and objectively.

E90 325xit: They barely make the cut objectively, so between that and the price I never drove one.

B5 S4 wagon: Quick enough objectively and subjectively.

B7 A4 2.0T wagon: Quick enough subjectively and objectively.

2006 WRX wagon/9-2X Aero: Quick enough subjectively and objectively.

I shopped all of these, in new and used form:

Mazda 3s

Mazda 6s

Saab 9-3

Lexus IS300

Mitsubishi Evo

Subaru Impreza WRX

Nissan Altima

Nissan Maxima

Nissan Sentra

Audi A4

Infiniti (a few of them, I forget which exactly now).

My top choices were the Mazda 3, Mazda 6, and Saab 9-3... until I drove the LGT, which dropped them all off the map. The LGT isn't perfect, as it's way too soft of a ride for me... but it was still better than the Mazda 6. Besides, with new springs, I figured that's easy enough to fix on the LGT... which had more power and better price than the 6s.

s60r,lexus is 350,g35,vw gti,gli,audi a3, still tring to make my mind up. i have it down to a 07 spec b and a lexus i350. i subaru is a nice car with a great powertrain, it just seems rough around the edges. the lexus has a sweeit interior with superior fit,finish and materials. the lexus is rwd only. the subaru is way more mod frendly and there is a ton of aftermarket support.

I was looking at the Pontiac Bonneville GT and GXP, and also the GTO.

Passed on the GTO because it was a 2 door, and my fiance loves heated seats.

Passed on the Bonneville, because the GT Limited Edition I had settled on had less backseat room.

Picked the LGT because of the reasons it was better above, the AWD, and I just liked the interior quality better.

2006 Cadillac CTS

2006 Hummer H3

2006 Hyundai Azera

2006 Lexus IS250

But I ended up picking the Subaru, because I liked the look of a stylish car, that still had a punch to it. Plus I didn't really need an suv. And from what I've read about the Subaru, it should do good in a snow storm. Hopefully people were not b.s.ing on the internet. Plus one thing I really like, is that I have not seen another one in my town. Except for one driving through but it had different plates on the vehicle. All in all, I'm very happy with my choice.

In order of likeliest to least likeliest:

VW Passat W8 6-speed

BMW 330xi (E46; probably 2 years old)

Jaguar X-type

Audi S4 2.7T (used, since they hadn't made them for a few years)

Porsche 911 C4 ('99's were going for as low as mid to high $30K's)

Audi A4 1.8T (used '01, since I preferred the lighter B5 chassis)

AWD and MT were a requirement for me. The LGT was a pretty easy choice once I discovered it, due to great power, relatively light weight, and low price. The only other car I actually test-drove was the Passat W8, which was very heavy and had a difficult clutch to operate.

Pearls before swine!

Not everybody gets these and they are not for everbody but they are actually pretty cool.

I do like Subarus!

I know a couple of people who have them, that's why we looked at it... But I just really didn't like it... I mean Reallllly didn't like it...:nono: and I am a fan of some of the Volkswagen products... I do like the Taureg (spelling?) and jetta's... But the passat.... shudder....:icon_mrgr

But the passat.... shudder....:icon_mrgr
The Passat W8 6-speed I test-drove was a very beautiful car. It was the metallic dark blue with (I think) a light-tan leather interior, and the interior was nicer than my A4 2.8. Also, the engine in that car was very nice; it was powerful and extremely smooth.

However, the car just wasn't very much fun to drive. For highway cruising, it was as nice as anything I've driven or ridden in, but it handled like a 3,900 lb. pig, and would have been a nightmare in city or stop-and-go driving.

1. STI - Couldn't fit the baby seat in the back well. :(

2. Volvo S40 - Not enough power for my taste.

3. Audi A4 - Too much $$ for what it offers.

LGT was the perfect fit:icon_mrgr

My wife's balls are delicious.

Traded-in my 2004 STi for the 2005 LGT Limited 5MT wagon. Considered nothing else except keeping the STi. Sometimes I think I should have, too. Not that the LGT is something I regret getting. . . so much as I regret letting the STi go after I had it perfectly set up for myself. :(

DAMMIT. . . now I'm getting all nostalgic on my own ass. . . .

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/2005-01-06/STiSnowRack-20050106-01.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/2005-02-05/STi-JDMfog-2005-02-05-05.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/2005-06-04/STi%2020050604-01.jpg

Archived