LegacyGT.com

What cars were you considering at the time you bought your Subaru...

Volvo V70 2.5T - Too rich for my blood.

Audi A4 Sedan 2.0T - Everyone that I've spoken to that owns or has owned an Audi/VW product told me to not even consider them. Cost of maintenance was too high, in their opinions.

Acura TL - My reason for not purchasing this one was purely superficial. There are just too many of them on the road in Southern California.

Honda Accord Sedan - After driving a coworker's Accord V6 Sedan, it felt too dull.

Toyota Camry SE - After driving my father's Camry, it felt too "pillowy" and dull. Great car, but dull.

Infiniti G35 Sedan - My fiance (soon to be wife on 08/12/2006 :) ) absolutely hates the look, making it an easy decision not to purchase one. After driving my friend's, I'm glad that we didn't pick one up.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2002 S4

2005 TSX

S4 had too many problems

TSX was "too hot" so they didn't let me test drive

I looked for a 2000 '01 '02 S4 for 4 months never found a pearl white w/ cold weather, sport(alcantara inserts and aluminum mirrors) and MT so I started looking at LGT's love mine, by the way! Oh yeah all those problems you are talking about, cost more to fix than the car in the first year! They're that bad!

Well, I just bought my third Subaru. To be honest, I wasn't considering any other cars. Since I've already owned two Subarus, I just never even looked at anything else.

One of the Salesmen at Subaru of Gwinnett had lightly modded his Legacy GT which he had bought new in late 2004. He bought an STI, so he put his Legacy up for sale.

I happened to wander through the lot a week ago, spotted it, and decided I wanted it. I arranged my own financing on Monday, bought the car on Tuesday, picked it up on Wednesday, and couldn't be happier.

It's a black GT, 5-speed. It's been lowered with custom wheels. I've attached a pic with my 98 and 05 together.

Tim

Twins.JPG.288a29c2c92fe8bcacc9b8dd5b74a9ac.JPG

Cars that were in serious contention

LGT

Mazdaspeed 6

Grand Prix GXP

Nissan SE-R

Other cars driven.

Acura TSX, RSX, TL

Mazda 6 sport, 3

Nissan Maxima

Dodge Charger R/T, Stratus R/T (2 and 4 door)

Pontiac GTO, G6 GTP

Honda Accord (2 door)

Ford Mustang

Chrysler Sebring (conv and 4 door TSI)

VW R-32

Sonata V-6

Toyota Prius (the wife was freakin about mileage at one point)

Subaru Legacy 2.5i, Impreza 2.5i

Mitsu Eclipse, Ralliart

I know I am missing some.

I arrived at my Spec through a set of criteria:

1. Had to be above average in realiabilty.

2. Had to be RWD or AWD drive.

3. I wanted to downsize engine displacement and vehicle weight from my J30t.

4. Had to be a sedan.

5. Had to have better performance #s than my venerable J.

6. Had to have some cache.

7. Had to be a good transportation value.

Criterion 1 cut a lot of cars from contention leading to Japanese OEMs; 2, bye-bye Maxima, Lexus, Acura; 3, 2003-4 M45, used Q cut; 4, G35 coupe cut; 5, LGT, Mazdaspeed 6 make that hurdle but IS250 is cut; 6, Mazda & LGT cut; 7, Hello Spec. B.

It came down to the G35 (I didn't want to spend the bucks for the new platform M but that is a hell of a value in that division). The LGT met everything except handling which felt squishy compared to the G and interior which seemed a little on the cheap side compared to the G . As a former Infiniti owner (and I remain a big fan of that OEM), I was leaning towards some kind of G but #7 was rearing its head. Criterion #3, however, seemed to be becoming moot.

Newer used LGTs were selling at a substantial discount to used Gs yet I know from their reputation that Subarus are excellently engineered vehicles easily on par with Nissan if not more renouned in some circles. That lead me to look for used 06 MY in order to compare depreciation for "new used" Gs and LGTs. The LGT seemed a much better bargain but criterion #6 was a drag on it. That is when I became aware of the Spec. B.

The Spec. comes eqipped with a pile of fun stuff and a kick ass suspension that is better than the G, IMHO. It is a better performer and meets #3. Playing with a turbo and AWD was very appealing and I would only have to replace 4 spark plugs.

The J was a rare car and so is the 06 Spec. B. I watched a good price on a Spec. for about 2 weeks and the car wasn't selling. Time to make a lowball offer and see if I get a hit. I did. Went, test drove it and the rest is history.

Getting 24.6 mpg (as per NAV) in mixed driving. Better than my J. Cheap to insure. Safe. Reliable. Cache. 4 doors. Excellent performance numbers.

A lot of thinking led to a no brainer. I am the proud owner of lovingly respected new-used by its former owner/break in guy, #101 of 500 produced, 06 Subaru Legacy GT Spec. B.

It took me a while to respond to this thread because I took a theoretical approach to defining my car wants (not needs). I set up a proposition and used a process of deduction to arrive at a conclusion. I am familiar with many of the Spec. B's competitors either having driven examples or spent serious time in them over the years to at least be familiar with their design and engineering philosophies.

If I had the patience, Id sit here and figure out how many of you said Acura TL and Infiniti G35

Yeah, I'm sure it would probably be pretty high percentage.

But really, those cars slot right into the same general price / luxury / performance category.

-01' audi s4 avant

-bmw 325xi wagon

-05 forester Xt

-Oscar Meyer Wiener-mobile

The LGT wasn't even on my list. I went to the dealer to buy one of the last 05 leftover Forester Xt's and the LGT was sitting there on the showroom floor, i drove both out of curiosity, and drove home with the LGT, i never even knew the LGT existed before that day.

04-06 TSX

03-04 G35

02-03 330/325 Xi

06 Accord V6MT

06 LGT Limited

The TSX was a real performer and had great lux features, but too many on the road and elevated price/attitude drove me away.

The G35 was nice with good ride, acceleration and interior, but just didn't fit.

You want how much for a used BMW?!?!?!?!?!?!

06 Accord V6MT is a nice car. I liked the handling, power, interior, mod-ability, etc. I would have bought except for one thing.....it's an Accord. How much more bland can you get.

I'm going to buy (hopefully) my LGT limited MT today. Performance is outstanding and I can mod-in some of the luxury features it lacks. When it all boiled own, I wanted performance over luxury and the LGT offered the best fit. Oh yeah, and a couple of carseats fit in the back!

Audi A4 3.0 (exp. to maintain)

BMW 330Xi (over priced)

Volvo S80 (ugly interior)

Silverado SS(gas hog)

Had looked at the Legacy's before but didn't drive them. Was planning on getting a BMW but my brother convinced me to go look again and drive the GT. I liked the price tag much better and more power. I was really surprised that it had that much power from a Subaru. Signed the next afternoon after work. 29k out the door with 100k warranty, versus 45k for the BMW. On my way home from the dealership I went to pass someone and almost rear ended them because I forgot I wasn't in my Passat 1.8T. I'm planning on purchasing 2008 B4.

I was waiting for a Mazdaspeed 6 but it didn't show up in time and, on paper, seemed too heavy for a turbo 2.3liter. I drove the Mazda RX-8 (based on the handling and the "distinctive" design) but couldn't wait for the motor to show up in traffic. At a pricier level, I considered the Infiniti G35 sedan but couldn't justify the extra money. The Audi A3 was nice but felt small and overpriced after ala carte pricing. The Altima SE-R was probably the closest competitor with a nice torquey responsive motor and excellent handling. It did have pronounced torque steer on hard throttle but it could be managed with a softer "traction control" right foot. The interior materials were about 70% of the Subaru's quality levels. Nevertheless I strongly considered it. The fatal flaw was that it felt too big to be tossable. It was hard to rotate on the brakes (maybe a little more rear sway bar would help). The '05 Legacy GT wagon that I got instead was very tossable, somewhat on the brakes and incredibly on throttle (with the current sway bar set up it might make a good drifter). The car's negatives have been fuel mileage (15city/22hwy - still trying to figure that out) and the OEM Bridgestone tires (being replaced with 225/45-17 BFG G-force KDW2s). I might change the rear sway bar slightly to improve rotation on the brakes without losing the ability to toss the rear end with the accelerator (ah the alchemy...).

Archived