LegacyGT.com

Modability* of 07+ SI-Drive

I couldn't come up with a legit search result for this, just a small bit of information so I'll ask it in here, Pre-Purchase.

Naturally boost is addictive, and for the 05-06 models, the Cobb AccessPORT has done the trick at making the stage 1 and 2 upgrade simple, and effective. Cobbs maps, as well as other venders selling custom maps were fine for the LGT 05-06 models which only have 1 OE-Map.

As for the SI-Drive, well I belive it is 3 different maps, for operation in all 3 featured modes. Intelligent, Sport, and Sport# (sharp.) This will present the oppurtunity for Cobb, to revise their AccessPORT to provide 2 if not 3 new maps for the 07+ SI-Drive LGT.

I assume:

1.) They may leave the Intelligent map, just as it is to provide best econmy, and upgrade the sport, and Sport# maps to "stage 1" and "stage 1.5" actually, because if you have 3 positions to dial in, you're going to want to modify the maps, so the performance still increases two times, not just once.

2.) They could simply Tune a map for Sport# mode only, and leave the other Two, Intelligent, and Sport drive alone? That would probably eliminate the need to upgrade their AcessPORT unit, because it would esentially be doing the exact same function, to alter 1 map only.

Or

3.) They could potentially alter all 3 maps, which I won't even get into, because that would be highly unlikely, but anything is possible.

I just wondered if anybody had any information on this thought, and or knowledge of possible products which will allow the 07+ SI-Driven vehicles to do staged upgrades, just as easily as the rest of the LGT crowd?

Immediatly after our 07 arrives, I'm going to want to be stage 2 via all mods associated with stage 1+2+ECU reflash w/ custom tuned map(s.) I hope Cobb has something up their sleeve which I do not yet know about?

I'm not so sure about the 3 modes being 3 entirely different maps because it does not appear that there are any actual power changes with each mode. It might be that all are running off of one base map and that the SI drive is controlling 3 real-time maps that only adjust minor things like the Throttle Position Sensor to increase or decrease responsiveness. If Cobb is able to use the SI drive to choose different maps, then I'm sure it will be possible to change all 3 of them. My main concern is how long it will actually take them to release AP's for the '07 models considering their track record for new products.

Thats basically what my concern is, how long will a product take to come out. I guess I could live with stock power for half a year or so, but if the ball isn't rolling by middle of next year, I'm going to have to find another way to make more power. STI SI-Drive swap? :) We shall see I guess.

Why do that when you can just upgrade to the JDM SI selector knob... It's 5-axis NC machined 6061-T5 aluminum, with a clear annodize. This will act as a heat-sink and help keep the circuits cooler allowing your SI drive to operate at maximum efficiency! Keep a look out for Cobb's new Water-to-knob heat exhanger for max power at the track! :lol:

I already contacted them about this. So far they do not know if they can use the knob but as soon as they get their hands on an 07 they will look into it.

I better get props for the idea... yea right. I emailed them about it as soon as I heard about the Si drive.

Just as Casopolis said, they won't know till they get ahold on an '07. Subaru is secretive and won't pre-release any models to aftermarket companies like Cobb. They have to wait just like the rest of us. So considering that, it will be quite some time till 07 mods come out.

But on the bright side, you can really get a feel for the 07 that way when you mod, you will truly know the difference. If you buy a new car and a month later mod it, you won't really get that "Oh Sh*t!" feeling. know what i mean? The mods will come, all in good time :)

You have the I or the GT ? I have seen the I not the GT on the lots.
GTs are on dealers' lots now.

SI-Drive is basicly three different sets of base maps (in Cobb-speak) for boost, spark, fuel and ETC. I doubt there's enough RAM for three different sets of realtime (in Cobb-speak) map sets. I expect that Cobb will have to chose a single mode (likely Sport #) for which their realtime maps work. That implies that realtime maps like Anti-Theft won't work as they did in the past.

BTW, I understand the Sport # is disabled until engine coolant temperature rises above a certain threshold.

']

SI-Drive is basicly three different sets of base maps (in Cobb-speak) for boost, spark, fuel and ETC.

My understanding was that the only thing that was really changed by SI-Drive was the throttle response and no much else (certainly not boost since overall power is the same!). E.g. Intelligent 100% pedal ~ 75% throttle, Sport 100% pedal ~ 100% throttle, Sport # 75%+ pedal ~ 100% throttle.

']

I doubt there's enough RAM for three different sets of realtime (in Cobb-speak) map sets. I expect that Cobb will have to chose a single mode (likely Sport #) for which their realtime maps work. That implies that realtime maps like Anti-Theft won't work as they did in the past.

+1

']

BTW, I understand the Sport # is disabled until engine coolant temperature rises above a certain threshold.

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to go test drive a GT around here...:icon_bigg

My understanding was that the only thing that was really changed by SI-Drive was the throttle response and no much else (certainly not boost since overall power is the same!). E.g. Intelligent 100% pedal ~ 75% throttle, Sport 100% pedal ~ 100% throttle, Sport # 75%+ pedal ~ 100% throttle.

The SI-Drive controls the electronic throttle system’s response and fuel and ignition curves to modify engine torque characteristics, changing the performance character of the car in each mode. With "Intelligent" mode selected, the system reduces engine torque and maximum power and switches to a more relaxed throttle response curve.
Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive)

Archived