LegacyGT.com

Why No 'Quiet' Exhausts for LGT?

hal9e3

Well, just installed my Lachute resonator/Y-pipe and Prodrive muffler combo over the weekend. Besides being a royal PITA to install it's LOUD! I'll post a vid or aud clip by next weekend. It might suit some folks out there just fine - very deep tone. I was looking for more of a 'stealth' setup...which brings me to the post subject.

I used to own a '95 Integra GS-R. Great car, but kinda high on the riceability scale, which is to say there are a lot of products made for it that are more for show than go. Included in that group are a lot of seriously loud and obnoxious CBEs. That's no surprise. What is surprising is that I was able to find not 1, not 2 but 3 mufflers that were barely louder than stock. The Konig Mozart was a loopback design like the Mugen (I tried both). I finally settled on a Supersprint, and for me it was the perfect setup. No drone at steady state or lift, just barely louder than stock at idle, but it produced a nice, deep but civil tone under acceleration. BTW I also tried a Comptech CBE, but found it way too loud.

If these products exist for the GS-R, which is a true sport compact, how is it that, ASAIK, no one makes anything like that for the LGT, which is an aspiring luxury sedan? I'll even bet I can find a quieter exhaust for the WRX than the LGT. In the immortal words of, well, a lot of legacygt posters, WTF?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i coudl be wrong, but i think he wants to upgrade his mufflers, but not the sound they make..and iirc, hogmeats mod is just to make things sound different by adding a washer or 2..i dont think they have the same goals in mind here. One wants louder (hogmeat), the other wants good flow from upgraded muffler but still quiet (hal9e3)

i coudl be wrong, but i think he wants to upgrade his mufflers, but not the sound they make..and iirc, hogmeats mod is just to make things sound different by adding a washer or 2..i dont think they have the same goals in mind here. One wants louder (hogmeat), the other wants good flow from upgraded muffler but still quiet (hal9e3)

Exactly. The hogmod is the exact opposite of what the OP wants. hal9e3 wants more flow with stock like sound levels.

Shameless plug, but I think that the new MR exhaust might fit the bill. If you are being fair and compare it the stock catback while running the stock downpipe, I think you'll find that it is quiet and flow well. The vid clips I posted are for a completely catless setup, so it is a bit louder, but still very civil. Honestly though, considering the exhausts mentioned that were deemed "too loud" finding something truly quiet enough might be tough.

hal9e3 - How are you set-up (or are you set-up at all) resonator-wise? Any felines? - be they aftermarket HFC(s) or factory?

---

The Borla currently seems to be the only viable ready-made system on-market.

The Bosal/SPT was very quiet, but, well, we all know how that turned out....rather unfortunately. :(

I also thought that the full Lachute system is supposed to be decently quiet, right?

While some say that the Stromung system is on the quiet side, I think that it actually is somewhat midrange-to-louder...... But this is based solely on, unfortunately, "sound clips" over the 'net. Perhaps my impression here will change once I get to hear this unit up-close and personal.

Boostjunkie, "our man inside Megan," :) as he cited above places this system between the GReddy SP2 and EVO2 in terms of loudness. Not exactly "quiet," I'd say, but definitely not overly loud, either, if that's the case. From his sound-clips, though, I'd definitely say that this system's noise-level ramps up progressively, and that it's definitely still considerably louder than my Blitz Nur-Spec Touring + Lachute Y + Magnaflow resonated ( + factory 3rd cat) setup.....

Crucial's system also had this aim in-mind, but it's final results are as-yet unknown.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Judging by the replies to this post I see I should have elaborated more on my current setup and goals. I have a Cobb DP w/ HFC and a catless UP will be going on soon, model TBD. My primary goal is higher flow for better performance and I could achieve most of possible gains by replacing only the DP-to-muffler section, but I have trashed the tips of the mufflers on my steep driveway (which is now fixed) so I wanted to replace them as well. I'll also tell you I don't mind a more aggressive looking setup and the Prodrives are perfect visually. I have read that freer flowing setups can make 'quiet' mufflers such as the Prodrives louder, and that seems to be the case here. I could put the stock DPTM section back in, but then I'd give up most of the performance gains:iam:

^ Yes, but like hal9e3 cited, the free'er, larger pipes will change both sound volume and quality.

---

hal9e3 - How big is the Lachute resonator? Run a bigger one, or run a two-resonator setup?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I had Cobb DP and AVO CBE and OMG, my head! The drone was awful. :( I swapped the stock cans back on and didn't lose any performance and sound was better than stock, but barely noticable. At best, the stock cans are worth 5hp. Hardly a difference. I would have kept the AVO y-pipe had it fit properly (hung too low and I couldn't get a jack under the rear diff).

So any opinions if this will be too loud:

Cobb DP (HFC)

Stock mid pipe & resonator

Prodrive mufflers

should be fine. Dre's car uses the same cans and has a catless DP (PDE I think). I can hear him coming down the street, but having ridden in it, it's never obnoxious.

The restriction it in the y-pipe, so that solution doesn't gain you more power....tradeoff for sure vs. stock cans on aftermarket DP and y-pipe.

should be fine. Dre's car uses the same cans and has a catless DP (PDE I think). I can hear him coming down the street, but having ridden in it, it's never obnoxious.

The restriction it in the y-pipe, so that solution doesn't gain you more power....tradeoff for sure vs. stock cans on aftermarket DP and y-pipe.

I dunno Dan,,I had the Crucial Shorty dp, stock mid with cat,stock resonator ypipe and the Prodrive cans,,It droned fr me :(

Dan(pgt) is right though, Im running a full catless setup with the stock cans and Y pipe.I'll trade the 3-5 hp loss fr the drone anytime.

BTW Some of you sedan guys are chiming in,,,wrong!,,hal9 is driving a wagon,it's a whole different ballgame soundwise.

Apparently Goldilocks has left the building:) You can't run stock mid and aftermarket Y pipe - it's all one piece on the OEM exhaust. At this point I'm thinking about sticking with the Lachute res/Y and going back to stock mufflers, but I'll need to find a different set since the tips on mine are so trashed. No problem there - plenty of other people have taken the muffler plunge.

Apparently Goldilocks has left the building:) You can't run stock mid and aftermarket Y pipe - it's all one piece on the OEM exhaust. At this point I'm thinking about sticking with the Lachute res/Y and going back to stock mufflers, but I'll need to find a different set since the tips on mine are so trashed. No problem there - plenty of other people have taken the muffler plunge.

mui01 has a set for sale

Yeah if the prodrives are too loud for you I don't know what else you can do. I mean the prodrives are some of the most quiet mufflers for the Legacy. I'd say just stick to stock if your worried about sound. Have you tried just the prodrive mufflers and the stock resenator pipe? That should be quieter.

Archived