LegacyGT.com

Subaru Select Monitor 3 Test With Accessport...finally!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go to a dealer they can use their diagnostic software to read when the last flash was performed. Obviously it should be when the car was built or coencied with a servicing.

Yes they can overwrite the AP map, hell if they unplug your batter you lose the flash. It's not a big deal, you will notice a drop in Boost and then you can reflash the car.

+1 for pay to play...

if your car failed due to a "defective" part then i'd understand you wanting to warranty it. but if it fails because your over boosting or trying to powershift gears and the tranny starts to make noise then i think u should be responsible for any damages. I had this one guy come in and want to warranty an axel on a Se-R. i asked him what happend... he told me that he hit a really big pot hole at a high rate of speed. It kind of made me wonder wtf this guy was thinking. If you got into an accident and a car hit your right fender and it smashed the fender... should the manufacturer replace it????

kind of weird what some people are thinking.

when my car hit 1000 miles i did my suspension. 1500 miles i did my up and dp and ap. I LOVE every single minute that im in the seat of my car.....

Slightly off-topic, but the local dealer said that no matter what I bring my car in for ( even a regular service) and they notice a engine modification ( such as , for example my very obvious crucial DP), they will "black-flag" my car to SOA.

So if I bring it in to the dealer, say, 10K miles later with some engine/transmission issue( even if I have reflashed to stock, DP returned to stock) my car will still be in the system and "warranty denied".

Needless to say, I avoid the dealer like the plague.

This post caught my attention b/c I just went through this type of situtation. I'm cobb stg 2 with up/dp replaced, at 57K my timing belt snapped and the car had to be towed to the dealership. I did not have a chance to reflash back to stock before they started to examine the ecu to determine what caused the timing belt to snap, this was on a Thursday. Friday I got the call to tell me that my water pump had seized up and caused the timing belt to snap, also had 2 other frozen pulleys. That mentioned that they noticed something weird about the numbers the ecu was pulling and said they would get back to me Monday. Saturday I went to the dealership and reflashed back to stock, Monday I got a call asking what happened to all my diagnostic data b/c it was gone!! I said I was clueless... Long story short, water pump, timing belt, cam pulley, valves, heads and associated gaskets all replaced. Warrenty voided due to lack of diagonostic data being present, exhaust modifications, and numbers not matching up. Just got my car back and now the turbo needs to be replaced, I've sold my accessport to buy a new turbo and will probably stay stock. I can't blame SOA for voiding my warrenty, but I can say that I thought I would get away with them never detecting the AP. Played with fire and got burned!!

I am a little confused about the diagnostic history. Is this temporary history that was stored while the dealer had the car, and was testing it? Or is it a permanent storage of all the times that the dealer had to access the ECU and run diagnostics. So if I have never had any ECU problems...mine diagnostic history would be blank...correct?

And 05GTLTD...I think your situation really does suck, as it is a case of bad "timing" (no pun intended :)) At 60k you would have been out of warranty completely anyways. :(

Yes the timing did suck, aside from the mileage, I have my wedding in 2 months!!! Again, I can't say much, except you pay to play and this is the first time I had to pay. Though the dealership is pointing at a faulty water pump as the cause.....maybe I'll get a bigger turbo (maybe the stg 2 from pltek) and get an accessport again. we'll see

If the water pump was at fault they should have fixed it, bastards.

Btw, how much did they charge you for all the work?

+1 for pay to play...

if your car failed due to a "defective" part then i'd understand you wanting to warranty it. but if it fails because your over boosting or trying to powershift gears and the tranny starts to make noise then i think u should be responsible for any damages. I had this one guy come in and want to warranty an axel on a Se-R. i asked him what happend... he told me that he hit a really big pot hole at a high rate of speed. It kind of made me wonder wtf this guy was thinking. If you got into an accident and a car hit your right fender and it smashed the fender... should the manufacturer replace it????

kind of weird what some people are thinking.

when my car hit 1000 miles i did my suspension. 1500 miles i did my up and dp and ap. I LOVE every single minute that im in the seat of my car.....

:whore:, except I haven't modded my car because of a big flaw in the situation. If I were to get an aftermarket tune for my car then by all means SoA would be welcome to void the warrenty on my engine, turbo, etc. But they wouldn't stop there - they'd void the entire warrenty. They'd refuse to fix bad wheel bearings (already happend once), excessive panel gaps (still being worked on), etc. They do have the right to do so of course - the warrenty documentation lays that out very clearly, and if it bothered someone enough they could/would just not buy the car - but I think it's unnecessary and I wish SoA and other car companies would work with us instead of against us with regards to these things. I'd be THRILLED if I could mod my car, tell SoA about it, and have the warrenty on only the affected parts voided.

I talked to a tech who has a 430 whp sti, and he told me just to take off the ap (unmarry) if i went into service. Because the Tech's don't really waste there time looking for stuff like that.

I have heard horror stories and experienced positive outcomes from service departments. I would say that the end result varies from one situation / dealership to the next. At the end of the day, mod at your own risk.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

• 5 weeks later...
this is why I like the openport solution; I retain the CALID and CVN that match w/ subarus records becase the ROM image I used was the one that came with the car.

I used the openport cable to backup my ecu's rom as well.

Do you know where to see the CVN in ecuExplorer/ecuFlash? It does not appear anywhere.

;741636']You need to use any decent generic OBD-II scan tool. It's in the Vehicle Information section' date=' along with the VIN and Calibration ID.[/quote']

Yeah, I saw your earlier post in this or another thread. Strangly enough, ecuExplorer does not show it. I'll post on openecu.org about this.

Yeah, I saw your earlier post in this or another thread. Strangly enough, ecuExplorer does not show it. I'll post on openecu.org about this.
No need to post that ecuExplorer doesn't do OBD-II functions. It wasn't designed to do that and doesn't support any OBD-II protocols.

• 4 months later...

So, I was about to schedule a 30,000 mile service, and asked the service rep what the service includes. In addition to the usual, he mentioned (and I'm paraphrasing because I didn't write it all down) that the tech will recalibrate my car's computer, drive it, check for codes, test it, monitor it, and clear its memory of any errors.

Not sure what that all meant, but it sounds like there is a possibility that the tech could reflash my ECU. Has anyone received this service as part of their 30,000 service? I'm planning on unmarrying my AP tonight, seeing how it runs tomrrow with no engine management, then taking it in.

Do you guys agree that I should play it safe and unmarry the AP before the service?

Archived