LegacyGT.com

Subaru Select Monitor 3 Test With Accessport...finally!!!!

I'd like to know. Say, something in transmisson or engine breaks, you reflash to stock, go to the dealer, then they remember you are the one annoying customer that was bringing all these print outs from legacygt.com (about console not being aligned and what not

Hehe that is so me, but im bone stock and lots has broken, so im just glad I didnt have any mods to make warranty issues more complicated than they have been.

That said, great info, very good to know....Mmmmmmm AP

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anything can be proven. even if the ecu had the original cal id back in it after reverting to stock, they could still bust your chops and send the ecu out and the could see if it had been reflashed at all at any time. WIll they do that...NO. Will they check your CAL ID if you have tran or engine failure? 99.99999% of the time..NO. It doesnt matter if the revert to stock left a trace of itself in the ecu. Unless the ecu gives errors to the tech during regular diag, which ive proven it wont, there wont be any reason to check it, and i bet even if he did, he wouldnt know what it should be with out alot of unnecessary time spent researching it.

Ok, thanks for the explaination. Well, I would guess that if the ECU has original map with original CAL ID, even if they could tell it was reflashed they would have hard time proving it's the car owner who reflashed it.

Anyway, what CAL ID really is? How is it assigned? Is it unique to each car? Could you explain that, please?

Has anyone EVER had a warranty voided due to a flash alone?

Also, not to change the subject, since Subaru sells a cat back (new one in development supposedly) can they really void your warranty because you put someone else's catback on?

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

someone posted a while back saying that his wheel bearing claim was voided due to a stage 1 ap flash. I think that was total BS. BUt ever since that thare have been several threads about people worried over going to the dealer with an AP flash in their car. I just trying to end the debate and the false worries of some people.

Ok, thanks for the explaination. Well, I would guess that if the ECU has original map with original CAL ID, even if they could tell it was reflashed they would have hard time proving it's the car owner who reflashed it.

Anyway, what CAL ID really is? How is it assigned? Is it unique to each car? Could you explain that, please?

You think too much.:icon_bigg

Denial is your best friend

Thank you. I am just wondering then why Cobb didn't include an option to download the original factory map so one would be able to put it back.

My guess would be copyright infrindgement.

My guess would be copyright infrindgement.

:icon_conf

Why? I am talking about dumping the copy of map from your ECU (for which you paid when you bought the car). You making "backup" copy which is legal AFAIK. You're not going to use it elsewhere at the same time (analogy to copied music or software). I suspect Cobb AP does not have such capability, or perhaps even content of ECU cannot get downloaded (however I doubt that would be the case). That would be a good question to Cobb or TDC.

whitetiger -

Anyone around you with an ECUTek tune to check if the SSM3 can pick up on that?

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ LOL, no crap, bruddah, no crap! :lol:

I wasn't worried about the warranty aspect - I pay to play. :D

It was just for "academic fulfillment" - just wanted that blank filled-in, that's all. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

This is definitely cool news. Everyone listen up here! The name of the game is stealth, and don't ask don't tell. You just take your car to the dealer, and unless you are going in for an engine problem, or something super serious, just let it ride. You show up, you tell them that plastic piece A is busted, they take the car, fix plastic piece A, and you go on your way. They won't look under the hood, they won't look at your aftermarket springs, they won't plug the SSM 3 into your car to run diagnostics. The dealer works with turnaround time, the quicker they get your little plastic piece fixed, the sooner they can get you out and get someone in that will make them more $$. If you are ultimately scared about about this little cat and mouse game then don't mod, simple as that. Don't lead them on, don't ask stupid questions like "what is your stance on modding". Don't talk openly talk about your mods around dealer techs and service managers, unless you know they are partial to mods. Most techs won't go searching around your car to see all the mods they can hunt out, because honestly they just don't care. The only time they will care, is if you go in there and say your turbo leaks, and then they see your Turbo to DP connection and gasket is blown.

Whitetiger...nice PI work!

Uh-oh. I (and others) have been asking specific technical questions related to SSM3 and ECU reflashes. Let's say these are academic questions, for the sake of knowledge. It gets old to hear "don't mod if you are scared" advices for n-th time. So, calling all experts here: what cal id is?????

(font edited)

No they are not "academic" questions, you are specifically trying to figure out if your AP flash is bulletproof or not before you do it. The answer has been answered ad infinitum. No your CAL ID is not the same, it is the CAL ID of the whatever car Cobb or TDC has been using for their tuning. It gets old to keep seeing "What is the CAL ID", over and over in one thread. Obviously it hasn't been answered to your liking here, so why not start a new thread specifically dedicated to figuring out who the CAL ID's daddy is, and what does he do? Do you want to see the CAL ID in hex or binary?

No they are not "academic" questions, you are specifically trying to figure out if your AP flash is bulletproof or not before you do it. The answer has been answered ad infinitum. No your CAL ID is not the same, it is the CAL ID of the whatever car Cobb or TDC has been using for their tuning. It gets old to keep seeing "What is the CAL ID", over and over in one thread. Obviously it hasn't been answered to your liking here, so why not start a new thread specifically dedicated to figuring out who the CAL ID's daddy is, and what does he do? Do you want to see the CAL ID in hex or binary?

Look, it's really off-topic what am I going to do to my car, mod it or not, etc. I searched and wasn't able to find good explaination what CAL ID is, I asked it here as the thread is devoted to detectability of reflashes using new SSM3 tool.

So if you know, we'll apprecaite if you share that information with us. As far as I am concerend your explaination can quote numbers in hex, binary or even rot13'd hex. Otherwise, please start new threard in general chat section where you can complain how paranoid it is to worry about reflash detectability and ask such unappropriate questions what CAL ID is on an ethusiast forum.

But I will take your advice to heart and indeed start a new thread, if noone chimes in here. I hope you'll do the same with mine.

:wub:

The point is that I was trying to get the thread back on topic. I think it is you that needs to start a new thread to figure out what the CAL ID is. Whitetiger went and found out that all the paranoia we have when going to the dealer is unfounded. Common sense obviously says reflash back to stock if you need something serious looked at. And if you need to reflash back to stock, whether or not the dealer can detect it is a moot point. So really it still comes back down to modding and you always run the risk of getting the shaft. Nothing is fool proof, so it really doesn't matter what the CAL ID means/does. Yes it is off, and that should be the end of it, if not, create a new thread.

The point is that I was trying to get the thread back on topic. I think it is you that needs to start a new thread to figure out what the CAL ID is. Whitetiger went and found out that all the paranoia we have when going to the dealer is unfounded. Common sense obviously says reflash back to stock if you need something serious looked at. And if you need to reflash back to stock, whether or not the dealer can detect it is a moot point. So really it still comes back down to modding and you always run the risk of getting the shaft. Nothing is fool proof, so it really doesn't matter what the CAL ID means/does. Yes it is off, and that should be the end of it, if not, create a new thread.

If one could put the original map with original CAL ID back to the ECU then in my mind it would be nearly foolproof, even if they can read ECU reflash count (if it has one). Yes, I'll start new thread on CAL ID, hopefully someone will be able to tell us what it really is and avoid comments "do not mod your car if you care what cal id is".

Cal id as far as i know is just the version of the software on your ECU. Cal ID will vary with how new the ECU is and on the latest version of the flash is. That depends on when your car was manufactured and when and if your ecu was reflashed at the dealer in order to fix any issues with the car. If you were to check the the cal id before one had the ecu replaced for the "fan stuck on" issue with the replacement ecu, the cal id's would be different. that being said, the cal id would only let a tech know which version of ecu was in the car. if one were to check the cal id of an ap flash you would still get one, and the only way to tell that is was not a Subaru cal id would be to go online and research it. the tech would never do all this in the field just to prove the car was modded. Its a big waste of time in which the tech would be working for free since he gets paid on a flat rate.

I think revert to stock put on a Subaru map anyways, it would be an older map perhaps but it would still be a Subaru cal id. That should be enough to put even the most hesitant of people to feel comfortable.

Worrying about the intricacies of CAL ID is lunacy only done by people with OCD who must have every little thing be able to be reverted back to exactly the way the car was before. No matter what you do on any level this wont happen.

just relax and mod the fricken car!

You can backup your ECU actually. I forget what the product is called, but I think it was like $75 bucks.

Edit:

I think this is it:

OpenPort

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid=ef1a1d186d1de619081cbdec65c77ec1

^ OpenPort 1.2 is just the USB -to- OBD-II interface cable that's capable of supporting reflashing, you'll need to run software such as Tari's ecuExplorer to reflash.

To this extent, I am not sure if the DBW system equipped on our '05+ LGTs will allow our ECU images to be downloaded properly with ecuExplorer. I believe that the last discussion on this, regarding the STi models, had Calvin at Tari porting the issue over to OpenEcu.org.

Hopefully, someone with better technical understanding of datalogging and such interfaces, like brothers kGreb, rallispec, or edmundu, can give us some guidance in this respect.

------

As for the Cal ID issue and why AccessPORT doesn't just rip off the current SoA data resident in our "stock" ECU - including potential copyright infringement concerns - that's been covered already in past threads. ;) IMveryHO brother whitetiger has accomplished what he'd intended to do in regard to how he specifically framed his query with SSM3 - and has done a good job doing it - and that any further discussion, such as regarding the Cal ID issue, should be pursued independently of this thread.

Archived