LegacyGT.com

Honda Del Sol's?

Thinking about selling my Maxima and getting one to use as a fun summer commuter car to save on gas and keep miles down on Legacy. I already have the Legacy so no use having 2 4 door cars anyway. Anyone know if there reliable? I would imagine they are.

Personally i would look for an old Mini or Miata or MR2 or etc... to play around with. Stock they all get decent gas mileage and after you are done with that phase they can be modded into true beasts.

Personally i would look for an old Mini or Miata or MR2 or etc... to play around with. Stock they all get decent gas mileage and after you are done with that phase they can be modded into true beasts.

Yeah I was thinking Miata but Mazda engine reliability isn't up to par with Hondas and I'd hate to have a rag top knowing my luck it'll get sliced open with a knife. I was looking into MR2's but they rust too easy especially by the rear wheel wells I had a 88 back in 91-95 and the wheel wells rusted on that car and that was 11 years ago I can imagine how bad that year model looks now. I don't like the newer model ones unless it was a turbo and that defeats the purpose of getting good gas milage. The model I'm looking into is the one with the B16a engine so don't think it'll be slow 160hp in something that ways 2300 pounds should go pretty good.

Yeah I was thinking Miata but Mazda engine reliability isn't up to par with Hondas and I'd hate to have a rag top knowing my luck it'll get sliced open with a knife. I was looking into MR2's but they rust too easy especially by the rear wheel wells I had a 88 back in 91-95 and the wheel wells rusted on that car and that was 11 years ago I can imagine how bad that year model looks now. I don't like the newer model ones unless it was a turbo and that defeats the purpose of getting good gas milage. The model I'm looking into is the one with the B16a engine so don't think it'll be slow 160hp in something that ways 2300 pounds should go pretty good.

As an owner of a Miata, I can vouch for both the fun factor, mileage and reliability. I own a 2000 SE, with just over 76k on the clock. I've had one problem in all that time (steering rack seals gave out), and it was covered under my extended warranty. Take a look around at the number of first gen Miata's still on the road. I can't speak for the whole Mazda line, but the 1.6 & 1.8s are pretty much bulletproof. I've seen at least one 1.8 push 400 rwhp on stock internals (if thats your cup of tea). I can't really knock the B series motors from Honda, but I'd say with regular maintenance, they'll deliver the same type of reliability.

When it comes to fun in the sun however, Miata is the winner hands down. Targa just isn't really my thing though. Of course, handling and RWD are also big selling points for the miata, as well as having one of the best shifters in the industry (well 99-00 at least) . Being the best selling sports car in history should give it some bonus points.

You deserve to test drive both before making your decision.

--james

Mazda b-series engines with the iron block (miata, 323, including the GTX, and others) will run forever. 250k miles is very attainable on that drivetrain, if maintained. The miata's chassis, if kept clear of rust should last that long, too.

Somehow I think the Miata, and RX7s are more robustly designed than some of their more pedestrian econo-boxes, and some of their joint-venture cars with Ford (like the MX6-Probe... ford reliability on a mazda car.)

I've seen at least one 1.8 push 400 rwhp on stock internals (if thats your cup of tea) --james

Wow, thats alot of power for a high compression 4 banger like mazdas little 1.8s. I have a 1.8 in my 626 and I couldnt see any more power than 68whp from that motor :lol: sad but true it is completly and sadly gutless!! Thats not to say that miatas dont have a good rating on the fun scale though :icon_bigg

Wow, thats alot of power for a high compression 4 banger like mazdas little 1.8s. I have a 1.8 in my 626 and I couldnt see any more power than 68whp from that motor :lol: sad but true it is completly and sadly gutless!! Thats not to say that miatas dont have a good rating on the fun scale though :icon_bigg

Yah, it was in Sport compact Car sometime in 99-00. If I remember right it was a first gen, with a motor swap (to a 2nd gen 1.8) and a monster turbo. They had done a write up on the 400 hp club. I think there was also an SR20DET in there as well. Can't remember what else. Mostly I remember the article sayin the Miata had so much power and it built so quickly they couldn't fit the dyno graph on the page correctly, so it was all skewed.

Of course, Mazda is also responsible for hte mx-3 V6. The smallest displacement V6 made. ( i think it was 1.8 litres)

I've seen a lot of late 70's RX7's on the road too.

A DelSol Si VTEC gets 170 hp IIRC, and has a helical diff, ABS & chassis reinforcement. What's not to like (other than trying to find one)?

Note, I'm on my 2nd '97 Miata.

I'd regard the '92-95 Miata engines as dead reliable, decreasing thereafter.

'90-91 also, assuming the timing belt replacement was done competently.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

A DelSol Si VTEC gets 170 hp IIRC, and has a helical diff, ABS & chassis reinforcement. What's not to like (other than trying to find one)?

The fact that I think I can walk faster then one of those :lol:

The 400 hp, pump gas, daily driver 1.8 liter engine is a great myth and very funny. :lol:

in Japan, yes. In the US, it was 160hp and open diff. Most are turds by now, except the last two years they were made and they still bring a premium on the used market for some reason. So much for saving $$

one of the del sols come with the h23 i think and can move pretty good. still slow but not a complete pig either. they are death traps though.

I've seen some info on an H22A (prelude motor) swaps into a del sol, but I'm not familiar with an H23. The most oft heard comment was that it made a great drag machine, but handled for crap.

--james

Thinking about selling my Maxima and getting one to use as a fun summer commuter car to save on gas and keep miles down on Legacy. I already have the Legacy so no use having 2 4 door cars anyway. Anyone know if there reliable? I would imagine they are.

As has been mentioned in other posts, there is the 1.6 DOHC VTEC 5-speed that can be fun in a Del Sol.

Anyway, we (my wife's car) is a '95 Del Sol that we bought new in '95. Still only has 43K on it. It's the Si VTEC automatic (SOHC 125 HP). At the time, she also looked at the Miata (albeit with an automatic) and the Del Sol felt better to her, has more passenger space, as well as a VERY usable trunk. I have fit two shopping carts of groceries in the trunk of it. And, it still have a lot of space with the top stowed back there.

Ours is still stone stock but I actually don't mind driving it. Wth the auto, it's doggy off the line, but runs fine once you get up in the revs (7K redline), as well as being decent on the highway.

My wife gets 30 mpg around town when she drives it. The car has been very reliable for us. It only went to the dealer for a buzzing rear speaker in the first year. Since then, it as only needed a new battery after 5 years, and a new muffler after 6 years (the car sits a lot!!).

I would recommend it as a good commuter car. Handling is good, and could be easily upgraded for more, it have good interior space (I'm 6' and I easily fit), plus the trunk is a very usable space.

Ron

The DelSol is nice...for a woman, but not for a guy IMHO.

Maybe look into a Toyota Celica, or if you want to stay in the Honda family a Prelude?

Better choices than the DelSol.

X

---

The 400 hp, pump gas, daily driver 1.8 liter engine is a great myth and very funny. :lol:

I assume you're refering to the Miata I was talking about. I meant it more as an example of the strength and reliabilty of the engine. I doubt it was a daily driver, and doubt he was running pump gas.

Of course daily driver is really going to be whatever the particular driver is willing to do every day. I'm not willing to try and put 110 octane into my tank for driving to work, but hey, maybe someone out there does. *shrug*

--james

As has been mentioned in other posts, there is the 1.6 DOHC VTEC 5-speed that can be fun in a Del Sol.

Anyway, we (my wife's car) is a '95 Del Sol that we bought new in '95. Still only has 43K on it. It's the Si VTEC automatic (SOHC 125 HP). At the time, she also looked at the Miata (albeit with an automatic) and the Del Sol felt better to her, has more passenger space, as well as a VERY usable trunk. I have fit two shopping carts of groceries in the trunk of it. And, it still have a lot of space with the top stowed back there.

Ours is still stone stock but I actually don't mind driving it. Wth the auto, it's doggy off the line, but runs fine once you get up in the revs (7K redline), as well as being decent on the highway.

My wife gets 30 mpg around town when she drives it. The car has been very reliable for us. It only went to the dealer for a buzzing rear speaker in the first year. Since then, it as only needed a new battery after 5 years, and a new muffler after 6 years (the car sits a lot!!).

I would recommend it as a good commuter car. Handling is good, and could be easily upgraded for more, it have good interior space (I'm 6' and I easily fit), plus the trunk is a very usable space.

Thanks for the response your opinion was greatly appreciated. I looked up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times and the SI version is still quicker than any Miata up to 97 and I'm not going to be able to spend enough for a Miata that year anyway. The Del sol DOCH Vtec just flat out smokes the Miata. I'll see what happens. I found a DOHC Vtec Del Sol in NH but theres a SOHC one with only 53000 miles on ebay now alot closer so I may just get that one granted on how high it goes.

I assume you're refering to the Miata I was talking about. I meant it more as an example of the strength and reliabilty of the engine. I doubt it was a daily driver, and doubt he was running pump gas.

Of course daily driver is really going to be whatever the particular driver is willing to do every day. I'm not willing to try and put 110 octane into my tank for driving to work, but hey, maybe someone out there does. *shrug*

--james

I was talking about the Honda, but it is applicable to the Miata as well.

Either motor is very durable and both of the cars have proven to be very reliable.

I was talking about the Honda, but it is applicable to the Miata as well.

Either motor is very durable and both of the cars have proven to be very reliable.

When I first bought my Legacy (heh. 3 weeks ago), I found it was a little hard to drive. Mostly because of coming from a normally aspirated vehicle. I'd be chugging along and then, out of nowhere, comes the boost and pinches me in the ass. I shudder to think of someone with a car weighing ~2300 pounds (del sol/miata) with more than 250 whp. That would not be a comfortable drive. Its kind of the same thing as my feeling about lightened flywheels. Sure it takes off fast but in daily driving, it slows down fast too.

I'm thinking that around 300 awhp, is probably the sweet spot for a legacy. Enough power to get the job done, but not so much that it makes driving in the city difficult, and not (hopefully) enough to kill your motor.

:D of course, if we're willing to compare apples to oranges, I thing there is a GT35R kit for the 3rd gen rx-7 that puts out around 400 hp@15psi on pump, and thats out of 1.3 liters.

heh.

--james

Archived