LegacyGT.com

COBB sway problems getting solved!

LittleBlueGT

Cobb specified 55 lbs/ft for all ten bolts

After searching around, this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11454

says the torque should only be 44 lbs/ft.

For the rear bar, I would also recomend not putting the bushings on the bar until you have the bar in place, as I got the grease smeared around on the bar when the bushings were moving as I wrestled it into place.

good info, thanks.

ignore him, he'll go away.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I put mine in earlier in the week. After a 400-mile round-trip, and a partial track day in cold weather on a wet track, they have worked fine.

Only issue that I've seen (and I need to write Cobb about this) has to do with the torque specs for the front subframe brace. Cobb specified 55 lbs/ft for all ten bolts, and I believe that I have stripped two of them (a pair that go into the subframe, not the ones with the nuts).

After searching around, this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11454

says the torque should only be 44 lbs/ft. I think I'm screwed on two of them if I ever need to pull that brace again.

For the rear bar, I would also recomend not putting the bushings on the bar until you have the bar in place, as I got the grease smeared around on the bar when the bushings were moving as I wrestled it into place.

I stripped a couple of mine too. At least they won't be too hard to drill out and put a different nu bolt in there.

Installed mine and no more clunking at all!

Weird thing I noticed. I had this problem with my Whiteline RSB, when I accelerate hard in first when it is cold outside I get a weird almost like grinding noise. When I took off the Whiteline RSB the problem went away. With the first COBB bar never noticed that as a problem. But now with the new bar it has come back. I jacked the car up and looked all over the RSB for signs of contact and found none what-so-ever, just clean blue powdercoat.

So I am not 100% sure, but it seems as if the problem is from the RSB but I don't know why.

Any ideas?

Anybody else notice this? Remember you have to accelerate pretty hard in first to notice it.

I just installed mine on Saturday. Anybody else get too large of bushings for the rear bar? I checked all 4 that I recieved and they all fit loose even after tightening the bar up. They are the right size for the larger diameter front bar though. I am pretty sure that this isn't right, just wanted to check if anybody else had this problem. I will probably be calling them today.

On a brighter note, they are absolutely incredible! The steering is so much more precise feeling, and the car feels like it actually handles around a corner rather then just lumbering around it. Well worth it! Perfect mod for sombody like me that winces at the idea of new springs and/or struts due to rough roads and the occasional deep snow on my daily commute.

Nic

Installed mine and no more clunking at all!

Weird thing I noticed. I had this problem with my Whiteline RSB, when I accelerate hard in first when it is cold outside I get a weird almost like grinding noise. When I took off the Whiteline RSB the problem went away. With the first COBB bar never noticed that as a problem. But now with the new bar it has come back. I jacked the car up and looked all over the RSB for signs of contact and found none what-so-ever, just clean blue powdercoat.

So I am not 100% sure, but it seems as if the problem is from the RSB but I don't know why.

Any ideas?

Anybody else notice this? Remember you have to accelerate pretty hard in first to notice it.

I am still experiencing the same problem. I have removed all after market suspension mods (cusco f/r sways, ion springs, and 18"). When did you remove the whiteline? Was it in the summer months (temp about?)? The reason why I ask is because the sound was not obvious in warm temperature (above 60). But when I put everything back to stock I couldn't hear the grinding sound. But now its a lot cooler out I am experiencing the sound again.

I had Dave Brown from MSPT take a look at it and the other mechanics there. He even replaced my rear diff and swap the axles but no one can figure out whats causing the grinding sound under hard accleration. I can tell you it's not the sway bar! He was hoping to have a subaru rep to come and listen to it.

Sorry for hijack. I just wanted to comment I don't believe it has anything to do with the sway bars. But I could be wrong.

I am still experiencing the same problem. I have removed all after market suspension mods (cusco f/r sways, ion springs, and 18"). When did you remove the whiteline? Was it in the summer months (temp about?)? The reason why I ask is because the sound was not obvious in warm temperature (above 60). But when I put everything back to stock I couldn't hear the grinding sound. But now its a lot cooler out I am experiencing the sound again.

I had Dave Brown from MSPT take a look at it and the other mechanics there. He even replaced my rear diff and swap the axles but no one can figure out whats causing the grinding sound under hard accleration. I can tell you it's not the sway bar! He was hoping to have a subaru rep to come and listen to it.

Sorry for hijack. I just wanted to comment I don't believe it has anything to do with the sway bars. But I could be wrong.

Sorry to hear of your problems, but it is nice to know someone else has the same issue. You are likely right about the cooler temps, and I only get the noise in first gear.

Please update, as will I, if I learn anything.

yes, no clunking! :)

i don't know what kind of grinding you hear, but i had my rear ball bearing replaced because it was so annoying! it kept getting louder and louder when it was wet outside and since we've had so much rain this summer, it's been loud and driving me crazy. combined with the clunking from the RSB, argh!!! but now... no more! both fixed this weekend!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

yes, no clunking! :)

i don't know what kind of grinding you hear, but i had my rear ball bearing replaced because it was so annoying!

?? Do you mean wheel bearing? If so, I had the same issue, as have several others on the board. The rear wheel bearings seem to be a common point of failure on the Legacy.

I don't believe this sound is coming from the wheel bearing. I have had several people look a it (including Dave @ MSPT). Their first reaction was the diff or the rear axle. But didn't end up being either of them.

To get back on the topic once this gets resolved I will most likey install the cobb sways since I have been hearing positive comments on their revised bars.

I don't believe this sound is coming from the wheel bearing. I have had several people look a it (including Dave @ MSPT). Their first reaction was the diff or the rear axle. But didn't end up being either of them.

To get back on the topic once this gets resolved I will most likey install the cobb sways since I have been hearing positive comments on their revised bars.

I looked back at your previous posts from like a year ago, and it seems that the sways are not at fault, the springs are not necessarily at fault (The rear of my car is very stiff now and only 3/4 inch lowered), but the OEM bushings or something (when cold) causes this "grinding" noise.

Wish I could definitively find it.

Update:

I just took another peak under the car and I will definitley say that the RSB is AOK! No rubbing marks anywhere on it.

I have a feeling that the grinding noise under hard acceleration is from the rear-diff bushings. When they are cold I guess they transmit a lot more vibration. I wonder how hard it would be to replace them with HD ones? They look very wimpy.

Rubbing marks? Hah! Just swapped the old Cobb RSB for the replacement and it looks the like the old bar is being "forged" by the lower control arm. I knew it was making contact but didn't realize the extent until I got the old bar off. Time for the revenge with a hacksaw!

?? Do you mean wheel bearing? If so, I had the same issue, as have several others on the board. The rear wheel bearings seem to be a common point of failure on the Legacy.

LOL. well, it was some kind of bearing!

got it fixed and now it's all good.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread...I have Cobb bars and have been having clunking issues. I am lowered in the rear (was Swifts now JDM Spec B springs...) the Tech could not find out where the clunking was comnig from but did see marks on the Cobb bars from where they were hitting the control arm. Funny things is I had the bars on for 6 months before I heard ANY clunking. Any soluition to this? The Tech thoguht maybe longer ELs would give the bar more clearence.

I am thinking about going to Coilovers so maybe I can adjust them just enough to gove the bars clearence?

Any help?

Rehab is for quitters.

I have new els. Stickers but new. The Tech said there are marks on the bar from where it looked to be rubbing the control arm.

New end-links have made noise in the past.

At any rate, if it is not hard to tell if the bar hits the control arm. If in doubt put a bit of paint on it, drive then look again.

FWIW the new bars that COBB produced (forever ago) show no signs of ever rubbing on my car.

Archived