LegacyGT.com

My First Up Dp Ap Install Please Help

2006Specb122

OK guys here I go!

I'm entering the world of modification with no looking back.

I installed the Borla CBE last week with no regrets great sound and perfect fit.

I'm hoping for similar results from my Cobb DP and UP install.

I'm looking for the best walkthrough.

I'm assumign the DP is pretty straight forward and much easier than the UP.

I plan on starting tonight and going all night but I didnt' want to get half way through and find out I need something else. (and nobody is open)

Is there a good place to go where I can see a great walkthrough with pictures and a list of ALL the tools needed.

I heard you mention 14mm deep socket. I'm going to see if I have one in my garage right now.... but anything else would help.

So far my shopping list for this afternoon is as follows:

2 pair mechanics gloves. One for me, one for whoever shows up to help.

1 can of penetrating oil (I'm told WD-40 is no good so I'll have to spend more money.

14mm deep socket wrench

(snap ring pliers for STS later)

Anything else would help. Please post suggestions or links to your favorite walkthroughs.

Thanks

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

02 socket for the 02 sensor when you have to remove the heatshield around the collector. Its not a must, but it makes it a lot easier....

have a lot of extensions for your sockets since the Uppipe bolts are deap down there.

Also be prepared to slightly jack up your motor to get the uppipe out.

No walk-through that I know of ( hum...wait, I think that brother mccorry has authored one for the UP! - but I can't remember clearly, because I ---> ), so do what I did, simply do a general Forum search for UP and DP installs, and print out EVERY thread on this topic, and start cross-referencing and taking notes on the important items.

:)

This is a great idea if you can devote some time to prep. The reason is because every person will have something different and valid to add - some kind of nifty little tip or specific situation that *they* individually ran into that others may not have come across.

It's a great way to be "prepared for anything." ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If you're local I'd stop by... but search nasioc, wrxfanatics for walkthroughs too because the UP on those cars is basically the same thing as on ours. Like they said above, a few extension lengths and maybe a universal joint or so would be helpful since the UP bolts are sometimes a pain.

theres a walk through in the walkthroughs section, and i managed to get the up pipe out without jacking up the motor, you just got to twist it and turn it to get the right angle, than when you put the new one it, it will be alot easier since it dont have all that heat shield crap. i also needed the 02 sensor socket i couldnt find a way around it, maybe others can give some input on that. good luck on the install!

i also needed the 02 sensor socket i couldnt find a way around it, maybe others can give some input on that. good luck on the install!
unplug it from the harness and leave it in the manifold ;) Did that the first time then said F this and bought an 02 socket

I have a few great walkthroughs favorited at home that i'll post when I get off work but here are a few tips that helped me out. I will also post up some of the pics from my install.

- Make sure you have all of the recommended tools. Deep sockets help. Also, swivel head gear wrenches helped with some of the weird angles and limited space getting to the heat sheild bolts. 02 sensor tool is optional but helps greatly. A 22mm wrench didn't really work for me. You could also do what rclark0032 said and disconnect it up top from the harness.

- Get a friend to help. Even if they have no idea what they are doing, an extra hand helps GREATLY with this. Lifting/guiding exhaust peices back into place by yourself can be a pain.

- Take off the intercooler, its easy to remove and put back on and it'll help with visibility.

- Get PB Blaster and let the tough ones soak for 20-30 min. Wal Mart has it for about $4. Awesome stuff. It will smoke a ton afterwards :lol: but no worries.

- Getting the stock UP out can be a pain. Just take off the passengers side engine mount and jack up the engine a bit to help. This saves a lot of time and isn't as bad as it sounds, just don't jack it up too high.

- Use NEW GASKETS for all pieces you remove! And torque to spec!! Nothing is better than hearing that perfect rumble from your newly opened pipes with NO leak! :icon_bigg

- Take pictures as you go along for reference when your putting it all back together. "And this went where?" :icon_tong Trust me... It helps.

- Most important... Have a lot of patience. If you get frustrated, take breaks!

GOOD LUCK!

Ok great ... I'm in northern CA I already have a friend coming by I was joking about needing someone from here to join me....

I'm off to walmart for PB Blaster, gloves, and other possible tools.....

deep socket 14mm.... probably be back there later.

good thing it is open 24hour!!!!!!!!!

Ok great ... I'm in northern CA I already have a friend coming by I was joking about needing someone from here to join me....

I'm off to walmart for PB Blaster, gloves, and other possible tools.....

deep socket 14mm.... probably be back there later.

good thing it is open 24hour!!!!!!!!!

Heck I'm in NorCal (specifically SF). Haven't done an install yet. Let me know if you want help.

HEY GUYS!!!

I'm in the midst of the install UP/DP COBB!

My buddy has a question. Initial thoughts he thinks that the plastic cover under the car should be taken off. To me it looks tight but that I should be able to get the stock UP-pipe out without taking off the cover under the car.

Any thoughts?

Also will the UPpipe come out from the bottom of the car or the top of the car?

THANKS!!!

I'm sitting here waiting for the PB blaster to take effect and for someone to respond about the cover under the car...on-off.....????

thanks

My buddy was right.... MUST TAKE OFF COVER>.....guess it was obvious I was just stumped because it was nowhere on the instructions...maybe I should write a 90 page write up on how to unscrew every freaking bolt:lol:

UNDER CARRIAGE COVER-------COMING OFF.........

thanks guys...

So nice to have people right here with me during the install...you are all great!!!!

(oh yeah one set of inscructions did say to remove the under carriage cover but it was a WRX... so I didn't know......

thanks again

OK... I can't get the lower portion of the UP to mate with the exhaust manifold...where there are TWO bolts and nuts to seat.

I can't get them ligned up. I'm trying to free something up top where the UP is attatched to the Turbo. I must be missing something.

If anyone is awake please help!!

You're doing it right, if you have a solid UP (i.e. no flex sections) - free up some play up top, which will then get you some play below.

If the pipe's out, check to be sure that the flange is flat.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

OK I finally got the UP bolted together. It was a freaking nightmare but I finally spotted two bolts in the very very back that were holdin the turbo to the engine. I broke one of those bolts free but while attempting to get a handle on the very far back bolt the 14mm deep socket fell right off into the engine bay never to be seen again. My budddy and I must have looked for two hours tried all sorts of stuff. It fell behind the turbo and I heard it hit about halfway down to the ground but them stopped. I'm hoping it falls out when I lower the car off the stands and take a few turns out in front of the house.

I'm almost done I have one stupid question.

I have two heat shields left to put back on. The one big heat shield that goes over the turbo will not be used again as I have the Cobb heat shield to install.

There is a smaller heat shield that I have no idea where it attatches to and I can't for the life of me remember where it went.

I already put back the heat shield for the exhaust manifold.

HELP where does this little triangle looking heat shield go back to?

thanks

"EDIT" I think I realized that this smaller heat shield was originally on the top of the Down Pipe. From what I've read or seen most don't use or CAN"T use the small heat shield on the new Cobb DP. Is that the case?

I got the car down on the ground. I don't even want to talk about it. Seriously.. I don't.

I am too tired, too frustrated, too sore, and I'm even bleeding. I haven't even opened the access port yet. I have to take a nap I've been at this for what seems like eternity.

If I get the strength I'll post some positive results at some point but right now i'm really not feeling it.

My greatest fears is that I'll have an exhaust leak somewhere and one, not be able to locate it, and two it will take me two years to get the car back up on blocks aond take all the covers and heat shields off and then torque the bolts again.

Does anyone have NO leaks from the beginning?

Does anyone leave the install how it is and never mess with the re-torque?????

I just have no desire to ever see the underside of my car again.

Archived