LegacyGT.com

My First Up Dp Ap Install Please Help

2006Specb122

+1 on what Allen said.

The leak (if you have one...) is going to be pre-turbocharger.

You can re-snug 3 of the 5 nuts on the top up-pipe connection very easily.

I'd do that. Then... pull the plastic under cover off and snug all the manifold and flange connections you messed with.

Then.... just go enjoy the car. You're not going to hurt anything.... ;)

I know... it is hard to enjoy the car. I am worried that something bad will happen.

I have good news though. THE 14 MM botl came out of my engine.

I was giving my sister a test drive the other night. I pushed the car hard for the first time. I nearly redlined it through first and second. Car was raising up like a horse. It was like something out of the Fast and the Furious when they were drag racing and the car blew up. All of a sudden I heard the scariest sound of metal banging around in my engine and then drop to the ground and bounced away. It must have been that bolt! Yeah!!!

what about checking the O2 sensor and EGT sensor?

Wonder if they could get loose to the point where they would seal up under heat.????

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SpecB - I think the noise you're hearing is normal & is not a leak. I don't have a leaking car to compare to, but from what I've read, it's loud and noticable. I think I'm hearing the same thing you are, same conditions, etc. As the car warms up, it combusts differently too and I think you're simply discerning a change in the exhaust note as it goes thru your turbo & upgraded pipes. As long as you've retorqued, just enjoy it for a couple weeks and try not to think about it.

I think all of us are just so paranoid about leaks after upgrading that we're oversensitive to the issue.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

OK... I'm going to retorque ONE more time then be done with it for a while.

I bouth an actual O2 sensor socket so that will help ensure a GOOD seal.

I'll check both 02 Sensors and the EGT again as well.

THEN ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY.....

If I loose to a Neon in a race then I'm going to start worrying again.

(track only of course)

We got down about haflway down the Down Pipe and found that it was very tight and not alot of clearance near one of the large black brackets under the car (near the passenger seating area.)

Good call. I finally decided to check on my "popping" noise, looked in the area you described, and found that I had barely 1/4" between the edge of the brace (for the transmission) and the downpipe. I moved the downpipe over a bit, but I wasn't satisfied. I didn't want to get under the car again if it didn't move enough... :p So, I took the brace out, notched the area where contact was occuring with my Dremel, put some black paint on it, and bolted everything back together. No more noise. :)

-Mike-

Good call. I finally decided to check on my "popping" noise, looked in the area you described, and found that I had barely 1/4" between the edge of the brace (for the transmission) and the downpipe. I moved the downpipe over a bit, but I wasn't satisfied. I didn't want to get under the car again if it didn't move enough... :p So, I took the brace out, notched the area where contact was occuring with my Dremel, put some black paint on it, and bolted everything back together. No more noise. :)

-Mike-

Awesome!!

Now if someone could just post about a noise on the first three pulls that goes away after that.... hmmmm..

I've tightened the graphite donut flange.

I coudl do about 10 more turns so i thought this was it.

WASN"T

I also tightened some of the clamps on the Borla Catback istelf.

Although I had the borla for a week before the UP/DP/AP install so Im 99.999 percent sure it has nothing to do with the borla.

I also took off the lower heat shield and checked all the botls on teh exhaust manifold to engine, UP to exhaust manifold...

Everything is tight...

I'm ready to take it in somewhere..any suggestions?

I'm ready to take it in somewhere..any suggestions?

Only places I know of are in the bay area. Heard good things about LIC Motorsports. Gruppe-S has a good rep to. Pretty sure there are countless other shops in the bay that know subaru.

Sacramento area is another story. I haven't heard of anyone local, nor had anyone refer to any shops. If you're taking it in, you might have to make a 2 hour trip to the bay.

If it was me, and I tried everything I knew of, I'd take it in also. Call me OC, but I couldn't stand hearing that sound during the first 2-3 pulls. Any sound that goes away and comes back like that is not normal, even for stage 2.

Heard good things about LIC Motorsports.

+1 for LIC Motorsports (licmotorsports.com). They did my header+uppipe install, and no leaks. :) I'm sure they could take a look at it for you...

-Mike-

:iam::lol: Don't obsess?

Mccorry... I started obsessing about 48 hours ago...make that 72:lol:

:lol::( :( :(

I know... I'm sorry. I wish you were closer so I could help ya out with it.... its really hard to diagnose stuff over teh interweb. :lol:

Don't obsess about it?
+1 I'm tellin ya. I have the same pipes, same noise you describe, same conditions, same thing exactly. I really don't think it's a leak - but I hear ya...it's hard not to be paranoid about new noises. Still - try to chill and enjoy for awhile.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I had a squeel after a few weeks of going stage 2. I finally got it fixed after 5 months of the squeel. Mine also went away to an extent after a few pulls.

I spoke to Dave at MSPT a few times and we fixed the problem together.

I changed all three gaskets from the header to the uppipe. Uppipe to turbo and the turbo to downpipe. On the header to uppipe we took the one that was on the car and paired it up with a new one and tighten the crap out of it.

I cannot believe how much that small leak changed the performance and the sound of the car.

SPT/Bosal has the best sounding aftermarket cans by 10 fold/

My vote is to start from scratch and double up the header to uppipe gasket.

Hats off to Sam and the boys at Canyon Moter Subaru. I have been in a few times and they could not figure it out until we worked together to solve the problem.

I always bring the shop huge muffins and scones and give he boys a little cash for lunch or something. They will take good care of me and warranty my stage 2 rocket.

Maybe if you guys tried to butter up your Subaru shop you might get a little better warranty service on your modded cars.

Wait, you guys are not smart enough to do that. No wonder you get shut down all the time at the dealer. You make the dealer your enemy not your friend.

REAL SMART

WOW... PRAISE GOD!!

I finally fixed my leak!!!!!! Now let's pray it doesn't come back!

I still can't believe the noise is gone. I still hear it in the back of my mind sometimes:lol: but I've asked others to confirm and yes it is gone. I'm just having a hard time believing it after I've gone through so much.

Ok here is what I did.

After hours of research and discussion I decided to tackle the UP again. This time I wanted to make sure everything fit well as it was going in. I also doubled up the gasket on both the downpipe and lower UP flange.

I cleaned all surfaces and even used a little scotch brite to get some of the gunk off the flanges. There was some goop from the sealant used earlier.

It is totally possible I used too much sealant last time as well.

This time I hardly used any.

So I took off the Heat Shields, Down Pipe, UP, and passenger side exhaust manifold.

I was able to leave the intercooler on which saved me a ton of time.

I found a smaller wrench to use on the Turbo Heat Shield which didn't interfere with the intercooler. NICE!

Then I doubled up the gaskets mentioned earlier.

I put the exhaust manifold bolts to mount it against the cylinder heads and just barely put the bolts on.

Then I lined up the UP to exhaust manifold. Fit was great this time. I also put the gasket on the other side of the exhaust manifold and put those two bolts into the flange there.

There was a large gap here that was abnormal. So instead of just bolting it down I moved everything around until fit was better. Then I bolted the UP to the lower flange and tightened it up.

Then I tightened the other locations of the exhaust manifold.

After that I tightened up the UP to the turbo.

Then the DP went back on.

After all this I was amazed that my noise was gone.

What a relief....now to tackle the STS.

Hope that goes on more smoothly.

Thanks again to all who helped!!! I am so happy!

now that you know what taking your time, and doing the install in the correct order will do, you can do it again...which you'll probably have to.

Doubling up the gaskets is NOT a long-term solution. They will loosen up, corrode, leak, and rust - which will make them leak. Retourquing may help, but again, not permanent.

Just be glad it's done for now, and tackle it next year!

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• 2 months later...

I did my UP and DP install last weekend. One thing I did that I have not read here yet is:

Spray brake cleaner on the nuts, bolts and studs that got soaked with PB Blaster/WD40 then wipe dry while still wet. This will remove the oil/grease in them and hopefully prevent them from loosening in the future.

Archived