LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wish I could get away with cutting random parts on the mills at my work.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Make it out of tungsten. I already have the CAD drawing done, I just haven't had the time to cut it... and I haven't wanted to dump a couple hundred bucks on a chunk of tungsten that size.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The one I made is steel, powdercoated black. I haven't used it in a while, since I made the cue-ball shifter. Maybe I'll go back to using it for a bit. It's tough, because the cue ball is the best shifter I've ever had.

I'll snag one when I get home.

The final weight was around 565g, so ~1.25lbs. It was awesome. The only downside was cutting a 1" relief in the top for a gel-coat sticker that never ended up getting made. If it was full round, I would have used it for longer. It was also only 2" in diameter.

I might re-make one with the cue-ball diameter and full-round, because it's the perfect size. I'd just want to get it powdercoated in white, with a SMOOTH finish rather than the traditionally rough texture.

http://imageshack.us/m/827/5300/20110517154408236.jpg

http://imageshack.us/m/535/9940/20110517181827236.jpg

It was a good day at work today. :)

I'm not super happy with it, so I may re-make it again. It was a pain trying to get the top perfectly round...ugh.

• 4 weeks later...
Got my Prodrives on tonight. The stock mufflers were filled with water. I had my hog-zaust for less than 2 months. You guys sticking with this mod might want to do something to prevent this from rusting the mufflers from the inside out.

I did, I just removed the mufflers, had pipes made up with some nice tips.

Sounds great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the bolts from my mufflers this morning... I knew it wouldn't be easy after looking at the rusty bolts, but didn't think it would be as hard as it was...

Lots of PB Blaster and the two bolts on the passenger side two bolts came out with the help of my 1/2" breaker bar.

The drivers side bolts were too rusty for a socket to even grip so I had to break out my dremel to cut the bolt head off. I went through several cutting wheels and then switched to a grinding wheel to get rid of the rest of the head.

Then it was time to go shopping for replacement bolts... Midway through Home Depot I realized my knees hurt and looked down only to see that my legs were bright red :-(. I forgot to wear sun screen today!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My conclusion on this

I used a couple of nuts, not spacers. It's a little louder than my 3" Invidia quad tip catback

Sounded like I have a external wastegate when turbo kicks in.

Was cool at first, then it got annoying.

No water or anything got into the cans, only a couple of rocks

Used it for about 6 months?

All the nuts and the bolts were pitch black

definitely a good/cheap mod!

I removed one washer from each bolt and I like the mod much more now.

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Quick Question...

I hope the answer is yes, but will this work on my 03 legacy?!

exhaust leaks are not particular about the car they are on... Will sound different depending on the car and size of the leak.

• 2 weeks later...

^ you must have something else wrong, or your over-reving the engine.

I removed the mufflers from my SpecB back in April, no issues.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 weeks later...

When I got my 05 LGT in 05 it was the most exciting car I'd had in decades. But it was just too quiet. There were no exhaust options, and when they did come out most were beyond my budget at the time.

No problem... Hog-zawst System to the rescue! I enjoyed making and installing a variety of versions of that until I ultimately upgraded everything, including the exhaust system, as I modded for power. One of those power mods was an EL header system, which eliminated the "boxer rumble" as an unfortunate side effect. So while I had an open 3" exhaust and lots more power, I would often miss the sound of my original Hog-zawsted OEM pipes, and the Subaru Boxer Rumble.

Three Subarus later, the last two with SPT exhausts, I have both my beloved Subaru Boxer Rumble as well as an excellent low restriction exhaust in the factory SPT system. The SPT, however, costs over a thousand dollars, as opposed to pennies for the Hog-zawst. And in all honesty, I doubt there will ever be the kind of pure joy over a simple exhaust sound ever again as I felt that first time I Hog-zawsted my LGT.

That's the way jaded works. Enjoy the washers as long as you can... you will always remember them.

well, I tried this today with no luck. The dame bolts were stuck, even after I used penitrating oil. :[

Mine were too. Just cut the bolts and get new ones at the hardware store.