LegacyGT.com

Anybody installed their own springs?

heajerk

I've done springs on previous cars. I have spring compressors. Any potential problems with the LGT wagons that anyone has had experience with? Torque specs? Anything will be helpful. I'm not paying some goon $350 to do this. It seems any shop I call wants at least that much.

You'll need the compressors to get the stockers off (safely), the aftermarkets don't need compressed to go back on. I'd say start to finish it took myself and my brother about 1 1/2 hours with air tools. Its really easy. Just do one corner at a time and note the way its assembled before taking it apart.

No spring compressors needed. Pretty easy job except for the bottom rear bolt. Theoretically easy but a real PITA.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

Man, I've been compressing the aftermarkets to put them on this whole time. That would save me a good amount of time if I didn't need to do that.

Just by looking at it though, it looks like you need to compress them so you can tighten the top hat bolt down. :iam:

Install, torque specs, etc:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5757

I did not use the offset wrench. Also, the bottom bolt in the rears can be a PITA though it does not seem like it. Jack the shock up about 2" before tapping the bolt out (use a hammer and something narrow to tap it through). Jack up the shock with a floor jack and have someone hold the shock steady as you tap the bolt out. Once the bolt is out the shock will want to shoot downward and move a bit which can snap off whatever you are using to tap the bolt out with. Keeping it steady will keep it on the jack, I used the scissor jack and it kicked it right out after I tapped the bolt out.

GET BREAKER BARS

GET AIR TOOLS

MAKE NOTE OF HOW IT DISSASEMBLES, REASSEMBLE THE SAME WAY

DONE

You don't need spring compressors, but it will be safer if you use them (esp on the rears).

Ugh, with hand tools, doing it for the for the first time on any car, and by myself, this took me like 7 hours (with set-up, clean-up). Those lower rear strut bolts are a PITA!

Just did the install today, the back bolts were definately a pita, but everything else went smoothly. Took about 2 hours total, and it would have taken less time if those back lower strut bolts were'nt put on by godzilla. The offset wrench was a must, and also, loosen the front tophats BEFORE removing the struts. Don't loosen them entirely, just break the initial seal and then remove the struts. The Tein H-Techs did'nt drop it as much as I expected. It rides pretty much like stock, there is a little more stiffness over rippeled black-top, but not bad at all. Body roll is noticably less than stock. Putting on the Cusco rear sway tomorrow!

Just did the install today, the back bolts were definately a pita, but everything else went smoothly. Took about 2 hours total, and it would have taken less time if those back lower strut bolts were'nt put on by godzilla. The offset wrench was a must, and also, loosen the front tophats BEFORE removing the struts. Don't loosen them entirely, just break the initial seal and then remove the struts. The Tein H-Techs did'nt drop it as much as I expected. It rides pretty much like stock, there is a little more stiffness over rippeled black-top, but not bad at all. Body roll is noticably less than stock. Putting on the Cusco rear sway tomorrow!

:needpics:

The rear will settle and you will be verry happy trust me. The car looks great once the springs settle.

Archived