LegacyGT.com

17in Spare w/ 18's...

zildjiank

Okay, I think I backed myself into a corner, but maybe not.

Is it okay to run 18's (245/35/18 tire) with the stock wheel and tire (as a spare), if perhaps one of my 18's becomes incapacitated??? Or, do I need an18in spare?

I was under the impression that it is the overall diameter of tire and wheel that count, and I think 245/35/18 is w/in 2% of stock...does that make me okay?

My understanding is that if you have 18's on your car, then your stock spare will no longer work. Better have AAA, or some other kind of roadside assistance.....

One other interesting thing to note: It says in the manual that if you have a flat tire, when you put on your spare, there is a spare fuse in your fuse box that has to be plugged in to one of the fuse slots. When you plug in this fuse, you disable the AWD and convert you car to Front Wheel drive to use the spare. If you don't do this, it can mess up your drivetrain. I imagine for towing purposes, the AWD should also be disabled.....

Just remember to remove the fuse when you remove the spare.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

I dunno about the 4EAT, I just remember reading it in my manual. There wasn't a note that indicated 4EAT only, so I assume that it was talking about the 5EAT LGT.

I dunno about the 4EAT, I just remember reading it in my manual. There wasn't a note that indicated 4EAT only, so I assume that it was talking about the 5EAT LGT.

What page was that on? I'll have to check for 5MT...

From the 2005 owners manual

NOTE

If your vehicle is an AWD type with an automatic

transmission but is neither a Turbo model nor a

3.0-liter model, deactivate its all-wheel-drive capability

as follows: Before driving your vehicle with

the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside

the FWD connector located in the engine compartment

and confirm that the warning light

comes on. The all wheel drive capability of the vehicle

has now been deactivated. After re-installing

the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from

the FWD connector in order to reactivate all wheel

drive.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Ah, so we don't have to do the fuse thing to disable the AWD with our turbos. I wonder why? Hmmmmm......

Id be putting the fuse in and doing FWD burnouts all over the place :icon_twis

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Ah, so we don't have to do the fuse thing to disable the AWD with our turbos. I wonder why? Hmmmmm......

It's not a matter of "don't have to", it's that you cannot disable the AWD on all turbo and 3.0 models. The reason is that the AWD system is a mechanical (viscous) system, not an electronic one (like on the n/a 4EAT)... so no amount of fuse pulling will disable the AWD system.

BTW, the diameter of the wheel matters not one iota in keeping the diffs happy. What matter is the total diameter including the tire. So as long as the overall diameter of your spare is closely matched to that of your other wheels you will be fine.

It's not a matter of "don't have to", it's that you cannot disable the AWD on all turbo and 3.0 models. The reason is that the AWD system is a mechanical (viscous) system, not an electronic one (like on the n/a 4EAT)... so no amount of fuse pulling will disable the AWD system.

BTW, the diameter of the wheel matters not one iota in keeping the diffs happy. What matter is the total diameter including the tire. So as long as the overall diameter of your spare is closely matched to that of your other wheels you will be fine.

It would seem like Subaru would use the same setup for all of the legacy models, but I guess this is not the case. Thanks for the info:icon_bigg

Meh... i own a 4EAT N/A and i just rembmer that my spare is 16" :lol: how's that gonna work with my 18" wheels?

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

Archived