LegacyGT.com

17in Spare w/ 18's...

zildjiank

• 2 months later...

This thread has probalby come to an end, but any opinions on 215/45/17 spare with 225/45 tires? Tire Dimensions Made Simple - Discount Tire Co. difference is 0.35" (slightly more than 0.25"). Don't tell me I need to buy ANOTHER rim to have TWO spares. Guess not too big a deal to swap spares when I swap tire sets (I use 225 for summer at the moment (got them for a great deal), 215 for winter tires). Could mount a cheap 225 on rim, and use OEM spare during the winter...then switch back to 215 summers in a couple years.

I just like a full spare on long road trips.

mysubaru.com says 0.25in circumference.

Note, the way I read this, it's for replacing a tire (e.g. you blow one and want to buy another), not for running a spare for a few hundred miles.

Anyone measure the spare vs. stock tire height? Just curious...I'll probalby do so myself out of curiousity.

I know this is off topic, but I just feel the need to vent my anger at crappy parts...today, tried to take off my wheel, and the OEM lug nut wrench from the trunk broke while I was trying to loosen the nut...

I'm gonna have a talk with my dealership...

• 1 year later...

Bringing back this thread from the dead to find-out amount mounting a full-size spare.

Has anyone tried mounting a full-size spare, new jack and lug nut wrench in the wagon wheel well?

Wasn't sure how much space there is and I might try to make a custom bracket for the wrench and jack. I hate scissor jacks and that cheap wrench.

You can fit a full size spare in the trunk compartment, but you would need to discard the foam mold that holds the jack and lugnut bar, as the spare takes up the entire space. I have a milk carton in my trunk that holds the jack, lugnut bar, funnels, and extra oils.
enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

Yeah actually I was going ditch the foam mold and see if I can fit a lightweight (25lb) aluminum floor jack instead. Then mount a side clamp for the handle and another clamp for the lugnut wrench.

Wagons may have more space? To allow for a larger wheel well since there is no trunk.

I dunno about the 4EAT, I just remember reading it in my manual. There wasn't a note that indicated 4EAT only, so I assume that it was talking about the 5EAT LGT.

i think that option only exists on the AT, 5MT cars have to be towed with all 4 wheels on the ground or on a flatbed IIRC.

ill try and check the spare in my Spec.B this afternoon see what size it is. its not a full rim as im sure u all know but it seemed pretty big when I was putting my jumper cables, scredrivers, flares, and gloves in the little compartment

Yeah it was wishful thinking that I could fit a lightweight alum. floor jack in the wheel well. Definitely won't fit with a full size spare. Although the handle can be removed and is a 2 piece connector. Just got this from Harbor Freight today on sale for only $80.

91039.gif.ebb7033a2d65693554983d585c9e936b.gif

• 7 months later...

A huge nail found its way into one of my front tires. It was a worn out Kumho which i hoped would last the rest of the fall season. I will like to get it plugged but I am afraid I have to change all 4 (which is sort of fine cause I have the replacements already purchased).

Just checking - 27k miles on Kumhos - I cannot run 3 worn out ones and 1 brand new tire on the front ! nor can I run 2 new rears and 2 worn fronts cause the overall diameters have to be within 0.25 inches of each other ?

A huge nail found its way into one of my front tires. It was a worn out Kumho which i hoped would last the rest of the fall season. I will like to get it plugged but I am afraid I have to change all 4 (which is sort of fine cause I have the replacements already purchased).

Just checking - 27k miles on Kumhos - I cannot run 3 worn out ones and 1 brand new tire on the front ! nor can I run 2 new rears and 2 worn fronts cause the overall diameters have to be within 0.25 inches of each other ?

had the same issue this spring was planning on running the re-050s for the summer then getting new tires for the fall but I got a flat and bulged sidewall on one of them and had to get 4 Pzero Nero All seasons on it. Im interested to see how they do when the snow starts to fall as ill be commuting to my one class MWF

Tire Wear/Rotation/Replacement/Temporary Spare Tire Operation

We all know that tires wear. There are certain things you, as an owner, can do to help minimize this wear.

1. Keep your tires properly inflated. This is perhaps the single most important thing you can do.
    Information on correct tire inflation pressure is provided in your owner's manual and on a placard on the driver's door pillar. How often you check your tire inflation is up to you. As a rule of thumb, tires should be checked every time you fill your car with gas. Remember that tires should be checked when cold since tire pressure will increase as the tires warm up.
  2. Rotate your tires regularly. SUBARU recommends tires be rotated every 7,500 miles. These are recommended intervals only. Your actual driving conditions may warrant more frequent rotation. Factors such as road surfaces, driving techniques/habits, vehicle loading, and weather, to name just a few, can all have an effect on tire wear.
  3. When replacing tires, it is always recommended that you choose tires of the same type, size, construction, and manufacturer as those present on the vehicle as original equipment.

On All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, it is extremely important that the rolling or outer circumferences of the tires be within 1/4 inch of each other. This means that you must physically measure the size of the tire. This is best done with the weight of the vehicle off the tire and at the tread centerline. Also be certain that the tires are properly inflated since this can affect your readings.

If you need to replace just one tire, the same holds true. The measured difference in circumference between the replacement tire and the other tires on the vehicle cannot exceed 1/4 inch.

Depending on the vehicle mileage, it might be better to replace all four tires.

If the vehicle mileage is low and the tires have been rotated and driven at the proper inflation pressures, then you may be within the allowable 1/4-inch difference in circumference.

If the difference between the new/replacement tire and the current tires is within this 1/4-inch maximum, then the tire should be compatible. If it is not, then other tires will need to be replaced to conform to the 1/4-inch rule.

Exceeding this 1/4-inch difference in tire circumference can place unnecessary wear on drivetrain components, possibly causing them to wear out prematurely.

If your vehicle is AWD (All-Wheel Drive) with an automatic transmission and the temporary spare tire has been installed, put a spare fuse (15 amp) inside the FWD (Front-Wheel Drive) fuse holder (refer to your owner's manual for location). Confirm that the Front-Wheel Drive (FWD) warning light comes on before you drive the car. Installation of this fuse deactivates AWD to prevent possible damage to the drivetrain components that can result due to the use of the smaller temporary spare tire. After re-installing the conventional tire, remove the fuse from the FWD fuse holder to restore AWD operation.

For more information on tires and temporary spare tire usage, always consult your Subaru owner's manual.

i drove for about 50 miles on my spare with my other three regular tires on 18 inch rims with no trouble im aware of, have put about 3000 more miles on the car since them no issues

You can fit a full size spare in the trunk compartment, but you would need to discard the foam mold that holds the jack and lugnut bar, as the spare takes up the entire space. I have a milk carton in my trunk that holds the jack, lugnut bar, funnels, and extra oils.

I threw in a stock wheel as a spare. Mount it face down in the well and you can reuse the jack carrier foam. Then you can fit extra tools around the sides.

Archived