LegacyGT.com

Considering a GTO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drove a 06 with a few minor mods about a month ago.

I'd be driving it now if it had 4 doors;)

You can get a 06 with the optional wheels for about 32k....for another 2.5k you have a car that puts down 400 to the wheels & about 425ftlbs:)

Yes the looks are a little blah....but wasn't the original GTO?

Car is much tighter than a SRT8 charger. Driven it.....still typical Chrysler!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

you would speend more in gas with a V8. Pluse GM will probable be one of the first america car to go out of business, they all suck!

First of all, it its rather silly to say all GM cars suck. While they may not be up to par yet with current offerings from foriegn mfgs. They are fairly dependable, however mostly boring cars. GM has come a long way since the 80s and if they get the union leaders to get their heads out of their asses and keep pumping out new and improved products they stand a chance.

Also the 6MT GTO gets 17 city and 25 highway EPA compared to 20 city and 26 highway EPA of the LGT

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

If you need it to drive in snow - get a LGT

If you don't need it to drive in snow - get the GTO

This is a very good point. I am so happy with my LGT -- partly because I live in Boston. About a month ago I went and visited my buddy out in LA, and I was immediately struck by how few subarus I saw (they're all over the place here). It occured to me that if I lived in a warmer climate, I would most probably not have gotten this car .. don't really need the awd out there.

I think gas guzzler tax applies too, but that might be the new Charger SRTwhatever.

You only get the guzzler tax on the GTO with the Automatic, the manual doesnt get the 1300 tax ding..

BOO

The Charger R/T dodges the bullet but the SRT-8 gets a whopper 2100 gas tax

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

• 1 month later...
Great car but discontinued. A redesign is in the works. Cool car, and for once the drive wheels are where they belong. In back. GM here in the states still hasn't got an affordable rear driver with a V8 we can enjoy. The GTO is the only hope for now.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

you would speend more in gas with a V8. Pluse GM will probable be one of the first america car to go out of business, they all suck!

Doubtful, my Legacy sucks down gas like a big old SUV - I average 13.3 mpg city. I will get 24-26 highway, that is, if I granny drive it.

Its not a pontiac, its a Holden Monaro

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=12001

the next GTO instead of being a re-badged beast will actually be a co-op between GM US and Holden AU and should at least be somewhat different ;)

I drove the GTO at the GM event last summer, its a nice car it has decent power as long as you get a newer one with a 6.0L

If you are looking at a manual trans model keep in mind the clutch in the GTO is like stepping on a a rock pushing into thick mud, its really heavy so if you are looking at a manual and do any sitting in traffic on a regular basis its something to think about.

I tell you one thing, if they sold this here

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4009

id be driving it instead.

A Commodore SS or SV8?? HAHAHAHA I am sure you and a good portion of our fellow americans!!!

I tried so much to drive/rent one of this when I was in the Aussie land, but couldn't. It is indeed an awesome vehicle!!!!!!

The GTO they sell here? Hmmmm the 6.0 maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe, but again I am more into small, turbo powered cars, instead of huuuge engines...

I know there is nothing like the sound of a V8, but again, not really into that...

Good luck, if this is what you shit your pants with, go for it man!!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

The biggest thing I disliked about the GTO (I considered one before I got the LGT) was the back seat. COMPLETELY USELESS. God help you if you need to put a person or items in the back seat and it is raining outside.

You have to push a button on the side of the seat and wait for the drivers/passengers front seat to electrically move forward (and it isn't fasy, BTW) so you can even access the rear seat compartment. TERRIBLE design.

My co-worker has a GTO, 05. It's pretty nice, although I can deffinetly take him in the corners, and I can keep up with him with my Stage 2 setup on the straights for the most part. I'd say stick with the LGT its a better car overall. But if you do get a GTO, make sure its a 05 or 06, don't bother with the 04, there were so many changes. Engine is completely different, tranny's different. Don't get a 04.

My co-worker has a GTO, 05. It's pretty nice, although I can deffinetly take him in the corners, and I can keep up with him with my Stage 2 setup on the straights for the most part. I'd say stick with the LGT its a better car overall. But if you do get a GTO, make sure its a 05 or 06, don't bother with the 04, there were so many changes. Engine is completely different, tranny's different. Don't get a 04.

I agree on the '05 '06 recomendation. I disagree with you on the other points some of which are just wrong.

The '04 is an excellent very fast car with an LS1 5.7L 350 (350hp), 6-speed MT or 4-speed auto . The '05-'06 switched to the LS2 6.0L 362cu SB (400hp). Almost everything else is the same (including transmission choices). They are not completely different engine or tranny wise.

I'd he happy with either an '04 which can be had pretty cheaply these days or an '05-'06. I can also tell you that Chevy SB's including the GTO line are easily, easily, mod'able to make extreme power. For example, an LS1 with exhaust, pulleys, chip, and headers (maybe a $1500 investment) can easily make 400hp. Same bump for the LS2 with those mods - about 450hp. Throw in an STS turbo or Vortech supercharger, and you're looking at about 30 - 50% increase on either of those engines. Amazing bargains if you ask me.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

BTW, the 6MT's have something GM calls CAGS. Below a certain RPM, it automatically pushes you from first to 4th gears in order to conserve fuel (so they say). This is reason the MT avoids the gas-guzzler tax.

Buy a $20 mod to disable it. It's easy. Jack up the car and plug in a small cable between the ECU and tranny.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

At least it has an independent rear end.

I think the 05+ Mustang can be made to look better, and they are both heavy. The mustang doesn't have a "last generation" suspension, it has a "last century" suspension. For a "Tuned" Mustang, new GTO, etc.. pricerange, I would be sorely tempted to get a G35 6-speed coupe, and maybe save toward a 4.5 liter V8 swap, or forced induction. Or maybe wait for the refreshed G35 coupe that is coming.

I'd not consider many coupes if the the rear seats need to be used, either, BTW... Not just the GTO would get the hack for needing rear seat access.

A freind of mine bought an 04 holdover GTO for a SCHMOKIN' price, even though he was all geared up for a WRX STI. Now he loves the GTO, but he isn't the most avid of car freak. He likes the power and sportyness, and isn't caught up by the technical details of how the power is made.

I would be tempted, if given a GTO, to re-hash the badging BACK to Holden, or HSV, instead of pontiac... Just to be somewhat unique in the US, and not try to hijack a classic name for nostalgia's sake. Plus, if I were to choose a GTO, it would be a 288 GTO.... as in FERRARI.

I think the pontiac bumper covers are kind of bland, even compared to Holden/Vauxhall variants. The only thing about the car that can't be changed, that I don't like, is the sagging side window belt line. It makes the car look a little soft and "inflated" rather than crisply linear. (I like the fact that the legacy has a strong and straight beltline)

Other than that, the GTO can probably be made to look pretty good, but probably hard to make it a real show-stopper.

It doesn't have the presence of the camaro concept (which I don't like entirely) or the F-body pontiac Firebird/TA, that is for sure, but the drivetrain and suspension is probably much better than an F-body, which isn't difficult.

So what are you going to get if you dont get an LGT due to colors, interior, etc. etc.? Any other cars in the hopper so to speak?

I really wish Ford sold this car here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36194

Within the 25-30K range, it would be really interesting to see it sold in the States...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

GTO interior design and materials > Charger srt/8 sh1tty interior

+LS1 proven reliablity

+Available 6MT

+No Gas Guzzler tax with 6MT

+Better Handling

+Sometimes annonimity can be a good thing

Archived