LegacyGT.com

Considering a GTO

Just asking people who have driven the GTO. What do you think?

I took one out a couple weeks ago and was addicted to the sound and power of the engine. The seats are awesome and the interior is decent. The exterior is fine for me.. I don't really want to grab attention.

Im actually looking at a purple one with purple interior. Its cool and unique. Im 24 and keep thinking the GT is too grown up. Kids are in the future and don't want to miss the chance of owning a muscle car before the age of 50.

Im undecided between an 04 or 05... the HP difference isnt that great and is changed easily.

I would miss the awd but I can survive the few days a year where it would come in handy.

I don't care what people say about the looks... hey I like the Tribeca.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one ate my lunch.

but still, the idea of owning a pontiac...

Its not a pontiac, its a Holden Monaro

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=12001

the next GTO instead of being a re-badged beast will actually be a co-op between GM US and Holden AU and should at least be somewhat different ;)

I drove the GTO at the GM event last summer, its a nice car it has decent power as long as you get a newer one with a 6.0L

If you are looking at a manual trans model keep in mind the clutch in the GTO is like stepping on a a rock pushing into thick mud, its really heavy so if you are looking at a manual and do any sitting in traffic on a regular basis its something to think about.

I tell you one thing, if they sold this here

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4009

id be driving it instead.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

One more thing, there quite a big difference between the 04 and 05..

First of all you are looking at 5.7 vs 6.0 L

2nd you are looking at 350/365 vs 400/400

So if boaring out an engine .3L and getting 50 extra horse and 45 lb of torque is easy, please let me know how.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I could think I could stomach a C6, C5, and yeah, the GTO is sweet with the Corvette go-power. And I do like the looks. Understated.

Yeah the 05+ up with the hood scoupes looks aight.. it still can be mistaken for a grand prix coupe but when it comes to the 5-0 that could be a good thing.

Did you notice the fuel tank is in the trunk? Probably not any more dangerous than the standard location, but I didn't like the idea of an infant child right infront of it. Not to mention the cargo capacity.

I know a salesmen for pontiac so, I took a very aggresive test drive, and was unimpressed by it. Yea it is fast, but it felt more like a hopped up 70's chevelle or something. I prefer quick and nimble.

The legacy's performance surprised me, mostly because it is not marketed as a sport or total performance vehicle.

I remember how they were giving away the 04 models. You could get one for about the same price as a srt-4 if you worked on em. Dont know how they are selling now, but the previous gen was a bomb.

On another note. Doesn't AVO have some sick twin turbo set up for the GTO?

Thats the thing you will find little to no discount on the dodges and you will be able to talk your way into a few grand under invoice easily on a gto

One more thing, there quite a big difference between the 04 and 05..

First of all you are looking at 5.7 vs 6.0 L

2nd you are looking at 350/365 vs 400/400

So if boaring out an engine .3L and getting 50 extra horse and 45 lb of torque is easy, please let me know how.

Intake and exhaust mods can take you well past the 400 mark. I've done some research. Many guys with '04s run with '05s with little investment.

The 04's are going for low 20's with under 10k on them. I'm aware of the Holden Monaro relationship and thats part of the reason I would consider one. I am thinking that holding off another year to see how they do long term.. and also waiting for the '05s to come down in price is a good idea.

The legacy does feel a lot more nimble and with Stage 2, could outrun an '04. But it still won't have the V8 rumble and torque surge. Oddly I drove 2 different '04 GTOs and their clutchs felt totally differently. One very heavy, the other felt like the GTs. Also drove an '05 automatic. This is one of the new times where getting a 4 speed is more then enough. (except for highway mpg)

We will see... subaru should take notes on the seat design though.

I sat in one, it's a cool car. The shifter is big and meaty, nice looking inside although some cheap touches but what doesn't have them. They do look good with the huge exhaust tips and 18's, badass looking car.

You said you don't want to draw attention, I think purple might not be the best color.

Good luck! It's a cool car.

I too test drove an 04 when they came out. I loved the power and the rumble, but I had some concerns:

1) fuel economy .. if I've got 400 hp under there (granted the one I drove had 350), I bet it's reeeeeally hard not to use them.

2) traction on a big ol' RWD in rain and snow

3) unsure about long-term reliability .. no experience with Holdens, no good experience with GMs (especially brakes .. )

4) insurance costs .. no way a GTO isn't considered a sports car

5) practicality/trunk space. They had to relocate the gas tank into the trunk when the brought the Monaro over (as was said earlier)

6) poser. I still sort of feel that the new goats aren't real goats in the way that the 67s were, but I definitely smile when I see them around.

If you need it to drive in snow - get a LGT

If you don't need it to drive in snow - get the GTO

One of my co-workers has a red/red 2005 gto, awesome looking car, very different in real life, but never drives it in any precipitation (at all).

I own a LGT, couldn't be happier, especially in the snow :), but if I had been down south I would probably had bought a blue/blue 2005 gto.

EDIT: Get both

Hey look. No offense meant to any owners but the Charger is possibly the ugliest car Daimler-Chrysler has ever built. Yea, it's a great performance car HEMI and call but it's BUTT-UGLY particularly the front end. Am I the only one that thinks so? Not only that it's a big-time PORKER - way too heavy. Actually that whole platform is way overweight.

I'm 34 and a classic muscle-car nut. I've owned and IROC and GN in my younger days (I drive a Suburban now - family man). I'm very close to buying and LGT - love the car.

I've been closely following the GTO since they were first released as '04s. I wanted and still want one really bad too. The fact that they're Monaros and builtin in Aussie-Land doesn't matter at all. Why should it? It's got a classic, powerful, FI, incredible sounding, effecient V8. The car has gotten WAY to much bashing over the years. It's way understated and underappreciated. Having test-driven a GTO, it's a beyond awesome ride! Given, it's a porker too. They should have and could have cut it down to 3500 lbs. Rushing it to market was also a mistake (e.g., poor gas tank design). Nevertheless, it's sweet sweet ride and handles much better than some suggest. It's no WRX canyon-carver handling-wise but very good none the less. The weight and high rear are slight issues. They really should not have named it GTO if they wanted it to be successful (Marketing folks are retarded). LeMans or something would been more appropriate.

The other thing with this car is the poor optioning. Although most everything you want is included there is no moonroof. Crappy A/V options. Not that I would ever consider an AT in this car (that would be a sin) but for the lazy, a 5 speed AT would be more modern and competitive with other offerings.

If you're weighing the Goat vs. LGT, it's apples and oranges. You really can't compare the two. They're two totally different cars aside from similar straight-line (1/4 mile) ETs. Given the choice, if I was rich and had a garage (I live in NYC) I'd get both! Being a family man, I'm getting the LGT. If I was single again and had the choice, I'd definately go with the Goat.

Either way, you'll be very, very happy! You can't go wrong.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

Archived