LegacyGT.com

Legacy may want to keep an eye on this competition

Volkswagen got enough positive response on their Passat R-GT, that now they are in the body-kit business, with the R-GT appearance package for the Passat, regardless of other trim level specifications.

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/rear_800.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/front_600_001.jpg

4500$, port installed body kit, under warranty, including 18" wheels, tires, exhuast trim, and the whole works, cosmetics wise, before delivery, or peicemeal from the VW parts counter.

Personally, I am not going to buy a Passat because of this, but at least VW can be said to be listening to enthusiast feedback, and throwing a bone their way with this. I wish more companies would do so, or at least show some sort of attempt... It may not be the right car for me, and I may not be 1000% sold on the styling, but I LIKE to see this sort of thinking coming out of a car company.

Design team takes a risk, shows a concept, public says "YES!", and here's where it gets nutty: then company markets product based on concept. Listening to customers, what a novel approach!

It will be interesting to see if this garners any additional attention for the Passat, like the S-line appearance package for the A4.

The Passat R GT concept and appearance package are the result of Volkswagen’s Moonraker project, a team of employees whose mission is to generate vehicles and options specifically designed for the unique trends in the U.S. marketplace.

I wonder if the Moonraker project will stir some corporate types from other companies into concentrating on what customers actually want, trying some new ideas, and getting the products out that the customers show interest in.

I wonder if the Moonraker project will stir some corporate types from other companies into concentrating on what customers actually want, trying some new ideas, and getting the products out that the customers show interest in.

as long as honda doesnt start marking body kits available from teh factory... god forbid body kits be painted the same color as the car (or painted at all)

no rice for honda

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of our own favorite, Subaru getting in the mix by livening up the Legacy's appearance a bit...

It is hard to tell a 2.5i, 2.5GT and a Spec B apart outwardly, other than hood scoop or not, 18" ten-spoke wheels or not, and if you happen to recognize the spec B's special exclusive color.

A litte variety could do Subaru some good, and it wouldn't need to cost 4500$ for a port-installed makeover, either. new plastic bumper covers and a subtle lip spoiler, and perhaps another new wheel design for all GT Limiteds (to stand out from 2.5i) shoudn't cost too much, really... probably could be done for $1k or so for the body mods. I'd pop for it, if it looked any good.

But we all know about SOA trying to cut cost and complexity of their model lines, so I am not going to hold my breath...

as long as honda doesnt start marking body kits available from teh factory... god forbid body kits be painted the same color as the car (or painted at all)

no rice for honda

acura has an aspec package that is similar to this, not as aggressive, but kit, wheels, etc...

they should put the Turbo'd VR6 with 4-motion and DSG in that car, if they don't already. the pic looks like it says 2.0T on the back...

I am under the impression that one could add that appearance package to ANY trim-level Passat, regardless of powertrain.

and THAT R-GT kit is Klaus (or whatever the character's name is...) "pimping ze auto, German-stylee" They would be unpimping some other car like a riced out accord 4-cyl with a cannon shot, or something.

Why would Subaru make something like that available ?

How long has the WRX been out and what is available for that ?

It will need a change at the top of SoA before we see somethng happen.

Its called the STI :D

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Keep in mind that about half of that is probably wheels, tires, and exhaust, and other metal trim, besides the body pieces. Probably some of that is also labor costs for port technicians to install the parts, too.

Cut the wheels and tires out of that, and you'd probably cut the cost almost in half.

And the parts are also individually available over the VW parts counter, which, IMHO is a smart move. You don't have to buy all of it, or even all of it at one time... although the body kit might make sense, so not to have to buy one part, paint it and install it, then buy another, paint it, and so on...

Archived