LegacyGT.com

Rallitek SSI Skid Plate Install

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from Mr. T who put in headers.

Update; The short answer is that the skid plate will clear the GT Spec Headers but, you need 3 spacers at every mounting point. I purchased some additional nylon spacers the same thickness at my local Ace Hardware. Also had to get longer bolts. I also picked up some stainless steel fender washers to give the bolts more coverage area. I also gave the passenger side "wing" a little tug to give it a bit more clearance. Also have to watch the clearance on the O2 sensor. Overall, pretty good. Certainly better then the cracked, warped piece of plastic I removed.

I know, this post is worthless without pics. If anyone wants some, I'll try to get some in the next few days.!

• 2 weeks later...
With my stock header I am getting some vibration where they touch under certain circumstances. You guys are sending me some more bushings but I think you should re evaluate the origional bushings you send out.

"Also have to watch the clearance on the O2 sensor."

Clearance on factory header is no problem. I need more information to comment about the GTSpec header.

Sean S.

With the GT spec headers, the O2 sensor is right above the "wing" on the passenger side. With out spacers, you would have the top of the wing in contact with the wires that come off of the sensor. I finally ended up using 1 1/2 inch steel spacers for the back 3 bolts (plus washers). That and a little tug on the wing and the clearance is (barely) enough...:cool:

I am not getting any vibration or buzzing now that I went to the 1 1/2 inch steel spacers.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried this up today, and definately won't fit over GT Spec headers.

It needs about some 2" spacers on the front two mounting points, and then the front edge folding up to meet the underside of the fender. Plus the passenger side 'flap' folding out some more.

I'll take it in to work next week and get it modified.

Tried this up today, and definately won't fit over GT Spec headers.

It needs about some 2" spacers on the front two mounting points, and then the front edge folding up to meet the underside of the fender. Plus the passenger side 'flap' folding out some more.

I'll take it in to work next week and get it modified.

Actually, I did get mine to fit with the GT Spec headers. I did use 4 provided spacers at each front point AND, to resolve the issue with the bottom of the bumper cover being higher than the skidplate, I drilled out 2 holes in the skid plate and pulled the 2 bumper tabs down and over the skid plate to bring the bumper cover down to nearly equal with the skidplate. I used a couple of "popits" to secure the tabs to the skidplate and it works just fine. I did have to bend the wing on the passenger side some and use the 1 1/2 inch metal tube spacers in the back but it did fit over the headers.

I am happy with the skid plate and Rallitek..

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the skidplate, and with Rallitek (although they don't want to answer my emails right now :confused: ).

I was pretty sure it wouldn't fit when I bought it, now I know :lol:

It's not a big deal to machine up some aluminum spacers and weld them to the skidplate, that way I'm not farting about trying to hold them in the right place while I fit it up.

Also going to make up some bolt on covers for over the filter and drain plug holes.

^ I believe it's "(S)uby (S)olutions, (I)nternational" - right? :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

It's not a big deal to machine up some aluminum spacers and weld them to the skidplate, that way I'm not farting about trying to hold them in the right place while I fit it up.

Good idea!

I just used double sided tape to hold the spacers to the plate.

I'm thinking about getting this skid plate. For a stock 05 LGT, does it bolt right in, out of the box?

Or do I need spacers?

You need spacers, but they come with the plate.

You actually gain ground clearance!

• 3 weeks later...
Added wire mesh on the openings for added protection. Just duct tape in place, then secure with metal epoxy (sets in about 5 minutes). Also meshed oil filter and oil plug openings...just bolted on the mesh with a rubber washer. To access, just swing the mesh away, then back in place when you're done.

268124211_IMG_2063reduced.thumb.jpg.be4825d9a4c98bdbb0d61a3e68c18e28.jpg

744846029_IMG_2064reduced.thumb.jpg.89e6c0068497fbd6b5eab2a778cb5d8d.jpg

1280447034_IMG_2065reduced.thumb.jpg.362eb6ce8f948ec04541a5eaf79674f3.jpg

Archived