LegacyGT.com

Rallitek SSI Skid Plate Install

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to add my $.02 to this. I purchased and installed the skid plate along with all my listed upgrades while I was home from Iraq last September. The skid plate looked great and the install was cake even though I knew that I would never be putting my car in a situation where I'd really be needing the benefits of a more solid under body splash guard.

In novemeber I ordered my Albero bumper and had that installed to the tune of nearly $2,000 and the skid plate went right back on and matched up with the bumper quite nicely. A couple of weeksd ago I went to a friends house for a Christmas gathering and I was going to park the car on the side of the snow covered road when all the sudden the car just shifted sideways (I wasn't moving) and slid right into the ditch. I tried everything to get the car out but it was too steep and the surface was too slippery. One of the neighbors hooked up to my rear tie down point and dragged me out backwards and after the initial inspection, I thought the front bumper made it through unscathed however upon further review, I saw that she was actually cracked/torn about 1" on the underside of the bumper.

Bottom line is that if I hadn't had this particular skid plate, my bumper would've been completely ripped off of the car. Great product, worth the price.

This is why i got mine too. If anything ever happens il have that extra insurance insted of having to to deal with the headache of costly repairs to the frontened and possibly oil pan repalcment.

I just went offroading yesterday in my 2.5 RS. A few buddies came with me (they also have 2.5 RS's). One buddy has the Rallitek skid plate and a quick change oil valve (don't know the exact name). The quick change oil valve sticks down off the oil pan a bit and he hit some rocks that made the skid plate flex up and hit his quick change oil valve. This in turn cracked his oil pan.

Word to the wise. Don't run a quick change oil valve if you have skid plate. Just have your normal plug in.

On a side note, hows this for irony? The guy with the skid plate F'ed up his underside while the two other guys came out clean!!

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

I just went offroading yesterday in my 2.5 RS. A few buddies came with me (they also have 2.5 RS's). One buddy has the Rallitek skid plate and a quick change oil valve (don't know the exact name). The quick change oil valve sticks down off the oil pan a bit and he hit some rocks that made the skid plate flex up and hit his quick change oil valve. This in turn cracked his oil pan.

Word to the wise. Don't run a quick change oil valve if you have skid plate. Just have your normal plug in.

On a side note, hows this for irony? The guy with the skid plate F'ed up his underside while the two other guys came out clean!!

WOW! I guess don't run a quick change valve and go offroad! If there was no plate he may have ripped that valve out of the oil pan completely! Did he make it home OK?

Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/RalliTEK/nasioc-banner.gif

do you need them is there any issues of rust or corrison down there?

I don't think it is a major issue. We would have to hear from those who have had the plate for a while.

I'll get a plate either way but I was just curious.

Obviously some dirt and water could splash up into the areas that are not covered.

But the Rallitek design is so much better than flimsy plastic that is breaking all over. Plus if you ever noticed there are foam pads on the inside of the plastic cover. PRobably there for sound purposes. But they are soggy and filled with water. NO real way to drain or dry out during cold winter months.

Aluminum will not have that problem!

What about V2 for the poor 2.5i non-turbo folks? The oil filter is in the middle, V1 didn't have the right placement for the filter access hole.

Is V2 only for the turbo crowd?

No V2 is all about non-turbo, and expanded applications. Our new V2 is similar, to the V1, but with all the revisions requested here @ LegacyGT.com.

I am processing a few pics for the V2, I'll post up ASAP.

PS - There are only 12 of the V1 (less expensive, but LGT/XT specific) left. Once they are gone they are gone! Get yours CHEAP NOW! Only $129!)

Sean S.

http://www.RalliTEK.com

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/RalliTEK/Ad_Banner_05_sprgs.jpg

+1 for the plates. I put on a V1 a few months ago and really like it. I covered the openings with stainless steel mesh for some added protection (I did it from the inside before installing so it looks nice and clean from the outside).

I drive through all sorts of snow, etc., and the OEM plastic got cracked up real quick. Glad to have the aluminum.

+1 for the plates. I put on a V1 a few months ago and really like it. I covered the openings with stainless steel mesh for some added protection (I did it from the inside before installing so it looks nice and clean from the outside).

I drive through all sorts of snow, etc., and the OEM plastic got cracked up real quick. Glad to have the aluminum.

Nice work!

I had one of our skid plates our company turbo baja a few years ago... (I really liked that baja after we did a custom front tube bumper w/8.000LB winch! It went everywhere. If it did bottom out, I just winched it across whatever...

That thing rocked!

04BajaTurbo.jpg.cc77db78925736adb2cd1f83626dba4e.jpg

I had one on our company turbo baja a few years ago. (I really liked that baja after we did a custom front tube bumper w/8.000LB winch!) It went everywhere. If it bottomed out, I just winched it across whatever...

That thing rocked! (even if it looked a bit dorky!)

Sean S.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/RalliTEK/nasioc-banner1.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Are you running a header or anything on the engine that could touch the plate? Plenty of clearance? Check loose bolts too!

-Sean S.

www.RalliTEK.com

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w151/RalliTEK/Ad_banner_GCSP01.jpg

I checked for loose bolts and i stripped one of them out when tightening the plate up. Is there anyway to get a replacement long bolt? The one that goes into the cupped washers.

Archived