LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver to do show on Legacy GT

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Ken S']I wonder if they'll spin a print article based on the show? [/quote] Usually, its the other way around. The hard #'s are taken like normal, only the cameras are rolling. They come back, edit the video, put together a show, and release it. Seems it takes just about as long to do a mag article as it does the TV shows. It'll get real interesting if they do some 5K+ rpm launches!!!

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='tallguylehigh'] Mind if I ask which Acura dealership gave you a hard time? Before I got the Legacy I also had an Acura and am well versed in the dealerships in the area.[/quote] I originally went to Wayne Acura here on Rt 23. Long story short, paint was flawed at time of delivery. Dealer promised fix. Paint came back not acceptable. Dealer refused to trade car for new one. Park Ave Acura in Maywood took car back no problem & gave me a new one. Great job by them. I cannot wait to go get an MDX at Park Ave & go to Wayne & say "Big Mistake".

[quote name='JessterCPA'][quote name='tallguylehigh'] Mind if I ask which Acura dealership gave you a hard time? Before I got the Legacy I also had an Acura and am well versed in the dealerships in the area.[/quote] I originally went to Wayne Acura here on Rt 23. Long story short, paint was flawed at time of delivery. Dealer promised fix. Paint came back not acceptable. Dealer refused to trade car for new one. Park Ave Acura in Maywood took car back no problem & gave me a new one. Great job by them. I cannot wait to go get an MDX at Park Ave & go to Wayne & say "Big Mistake".[/quote] Yeah, Wayne Acura is a big dealership, but I didnt get the nicest feeling going in there and trying to do business. Most of my business was done by DCH Acura in Montclair- outstanding service, small, friendly dealership, highly recommended. But glad that you found a good Acura dealership.

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='tallguylehigh'] Yeah, Wayne Acura is a big dealership, but I didnt get the nicest feeling going in there and trying to do business. Most of my business was done by DCH Acura in Montclair- outstanding service, small, friendly dealership, highly recommended. But glad that you found a good Acura dealership.[/quote] I have heard good things about DCH also. Wayne was good right up until delivery day. Then it all went downhill... Anyway, been happy with the TSX since. :lol:

[quote name='Wa-gone']The TSX wins the bang-for-the-buck by a hair. The Legacy is a close second in this area, but gets the others by a good margin and thus wins the shootout. [/quote] Huh? You're joking right? The TSX costs nearly as much as the Legacy GT, and takes mid 7's to run to 60 and about 16.0 seconds to cover the 1/4 mile. It ties the Audi A4 1.8T for having the LEAST bang for the buck. Somebody over at NASIOC said he heard it from a "good" source the Legacy does NOT win. If they give it to the TSX, then Car and Driver needs to change their name to Car and "pussies" The TSX just doesn't offer anything exceptional for the price. Sure it has great fit and finish, but that doesn't make it a driver's car. The Legacy GT is the best balanced of all those cars when it comes to performance, options, luxury, AWD, handling, fit and finish, and size. I think the LGT will only "win" the performance category, but scores near the top in all the others (except interior where it will most likely take 4th place), and based on it's most likely second lowest price (only the TSX will be slightly cheaper) that should give it the win. Even if they give the "win" to the TSX, which I wouldn't be able to stop laughing about. And if any TSX driver mumbles, "hey my car won over your car in the C & D comparo...I'll just smile and precede to waste him when the light goes green. Then waste him on a highway roll, then humilate him on a run up to the 8000 foot ski resort, then smile as I blast past on a track, then at the end of a 10 mile twisty canyon road on the way to the beach I'll wait for him at the stop sign and say, "what was that you were saying?" :D And then ask him, "maybe you want a rematch on a rainy day?" Then laugh as I roll off....

Guest JessterCPA
C&D is going to give it to the TSX or the Audi. Period. They do not like Volvo's or Subaru's. Thank god there was no 325i in there, or it would have won by default.

[quote name='JessterCPA']C&D is going to give it to the TSX or the Audi. Period. They do not like Volvo's or Subaru's. Thank god there was no 325i in there, or it would have won by default.[/quote] Yeah it seems as though C&D are always a little too excited over the 325. As far as this comparison goes. Personally I looked at all 4 of these cars just a few months ago. The audi was out for me just based on reliability issues / price. The volvo again was slightly overpriced in my opinion, and i didn't perticularly like the center console. I really liked the tsx, but still couldn't get it out of my mind that it was a renamed accord. The interior was awesome, and the 6MT is by far one of the smoothest i have ever driven. My only downside was that it wasn't powerful enough. The low torque numbers just really killed it for me. This car doesn't need to be the fastest in the group, but acura really should have beefed it up a little. That seems like its been the biggest complaint about that car... Personally i got the LGT because i felt for what i wanted it was my best bet. The power certainly is there and AWD is going to be awesome come time for snow. It may lose in the interior category to the acura as it should, but overall it think its a better car. As far as C&D's opinions i don't really care, I don't need them or anyone to tell me whether my car is "good" or not. Its all about the individual feel...

[quote name='JessterCPA']C&D is going to give it to the TSX or the Audi. Period. [b]They do not like Volvo's or Subaru's. [/b] Thank god there was no 325i in there, or it would have won by default.[/quote] they went pretty nuts over the wrx iirc

[quote name='jk'][quote name='JessterCPA']C&D is going to give it to the TSX or the Audi. Period. [b]They do not like Volvo's or Subaru's. [/b] Thank god there was no 325i in there, or it would have won by default.[/quote] they went pretty nuts over the wrx iirc[/quote] And the Forester XT, and the Forester STi, and the actual STi. Wow, a three-page thread about an event that hasn't occurred. Kevin

I always thought they were pretty hot to trot about the new Subarus. They liked the last generation Legacy models too, they just thought they were rather underpowered. Volvo, well, I really don't see a reason to like them after driving one last weekend. ...Makes list of cars starting from bottom up, yup, Volvo is way down there... :lol:

[quote name='GT Guy'] Wow, a three-page thread about an event that hasn't occurred. Kevin[/quote] We've all been waiting so long for one of the Big 3 auto mags to include the Legacy GT in a comparison. They haven't included the TSX in many comparisons yet, either. The A4 is over-exposed. They should have left that one out and thrown in the Saab 9-2X. My faith in C&D will be tested with this comparison. My subscription is expiring, so this will determine whether or not it is renewed.

[quote name='Driver72']Huh? You're joking right? The TSX costs nearly as much as the Legacy GT, and takes mid 7's to run to 60 and about 16.0 seconds to cover the 1/4 mile. It ties the Audi A4 1.8T for having the LEAST bang for the buck. Somebody over at NASIOC said he heard it from a "good" source the Legacy does NOT win. If they give it to the TSX, then Car and Driver needs to change their name to [b]Car and "pussies"[/b] The TSX just doesn't offer anything exceptional for the price. Sure it has great fit and finish, but that doesn't make it a driver's car. The Legacy GT is the best balanced of all those cars when it comes to performance, options, luxury, AWD, handling, fit and finish, and size. I think the LGT will only "win" the performance category, but scores near the top in all the others (except interior where it will most likely take 4th place), and based on it's most likely second lowest price (only the TSX will be slightly cheaper) that should give it the win. Even if they give the "win" to the TSX, which I wouldn't be able to stop laughing about. And if any TSX driver mumbles, "hey my car won over your car in the C & D comparo...I'll just smile and precede to waste him when the light goes green. Then waste him on a highway roll, then humilate him on a run up to the 8000 foot ski resort, then smile as I blast past on a track, then at the end of a 10 mile twisty canyon road on the way to the beach I'll wait for him at the stop sign and say, "what was that you were saying?" :D And then ask him, "maybe you want a rematch on a rainy day?" Then laugh as I roll off....[/quote] Thanks, I needed that laugh... :lol:

The TSX is a nice car--nice interior and a handsome car in my opinion. But the nearest dealer to me is almost 2 hours away, and they have a rep for lots of squeaks and rattles and bad transmissions. If I wanted another car with a nice interior and crappy reliability I'd go VW/Audi...

[quote name='Driver72'][quote name='Wa-gone']The TSX wins the bang-for-the-buck by a hair. The Legacy is a close second in this area, but gets the others by a good margin and thus wins the shootout. [/quote] Huh? You're joking right? The TSX costs nearly as much as the Legacy GT, and takes mid 7's to run to 60 and about 16.0 seconds to cover the 1/4 mile. It ties the Audi A4 1.8T for having the LEAST bang for the buck. Somebody over at NASIOC said he heard it from a "good" source the Legacy does NOT win. If they give it to the TSX, then Car and Driver needs to change their name to Car and "pussies" The TSX just doesn't offer anything exceptional for the price. Sure it has great fit and finish, but that doesn't make it a driver's car. The Legacy GT is the best balanced of all those cars when it comes to performance, options, luxury, AWD, handling, fit and finish, and size. I think the LGT will only "win" the performance category, but scores near the top in all the others (except interior where it will most likely take 4th place), and based on it's most likely second lowest price (only the TSX will be slightly cheaper) that should give it the win. Even if they give the "win" to the TSX, which I wouldn't be able to stop laughing about. And if any TSX driver mumbles, "hey my car won over your car in the C & D comparo...I'll just smile and precede to waste him when the light goes green. Then waste him on a highway roll, then humilate him on a run up to the 8000 foot ski resort, then smile as I blast past on a track, then at the end of a 10 mile twisty canyon road on the way to the beach I'll wait for him at the stop sign and say, "what was that you were saying?" :D And then ask him, "maybe you want a rematch on a rainy day?" Then laugh as I roll off....[/quote] Umm, I would hardly consider the TSX to be the worst bang for the buck. Without a doubt that distinction goes to the Europeans. Like someone over at C&D said about the standard kit for the TSX, that it will shine a light on what they mean in Europe about "base price." The TSX is very well appointed on the interior end, and it presents an amazing value considering the premium service Acura dealerships provide. Is it FWD? Sure. Is it the fastest thing in the category? Good heavens no. But what it does provide is entry level luxury with an excellent car. But like subie02 said, they have had some problems with rattles and such.

I chose the LGT, but the TSX is a very nice car. If it had another about 30-40hp, and 50ft/lb of torque it would be much hotter. Some of the gains can be had with the Hondata upgrades. With more power I would choose it over the Nissan, Toyota, Honda counterparts. Car handles well, quick, looks good, and is comfortable.

[quote name='bigbadboss101']I chose the LGT, but the TSX is a very nice car. If it had another about 30-40hp, and 50ft/lb of torque it would be much hotter. Some of the gains can be had with the Hondata upgrades. With more power I would choose it over the Nissan, Toyota, Honda counterparts. Car handles well, quick, looks good, and is comfortable.[/quote] If ythey gave it more HP then it would have torque steer like a Nissan Altima. Anyone that's driven an Altima knows how bad the torque steer is on those cars.

[quote name='bigbadboss101']I chose the LGT, but the TSX is a very nice car. If it had another about 30-40hp, and 50ft/lb of torque it would be much hotter. Some of the gains can be had with the Hondata upgrades. With more power I would choose it over the Nissan, Toyota, Honda counterparts. Car handles well, quick, looks good, and is comfortable.[/quote] If they gave it more HP then it would have torque steer like a Nissan Altima. Anyone that's driven an Altima knows how bad the torque steer is on those cars.

[quote name='scubie02']The TSX is a nice car--nice interior and a handsome car in my opinion. But the nearest dealer to me is almost 2 hours away, and they have a rep for lots of squeaks and rattles and bad transmissions. If I wanted another car with a nice interior and crappy reliability I'd go VW/Audi...[/quote] Hehe - my father thought I should get a BMW (he owns one). My mother called me late one night telling me how many issues he had with his. My '98 Legacy GT was pretty much problem-free. Love my 2005 GT. :)

I didn't mean my post to sound as critical of the TSX as it may have--I really like them myself. The main thing against it for me was no local dealers, whereas I have three subaru dealers within 45 minutes of me--one about 15 minutes and one a half hour, actually. The stories about the transmissions and rattles are worrisome though. I think they are great looking, though, and the interiors on them, the new accord, etc, are very nice. I like them as much or more than the VW/Audi's, actually, which were perhaps the benchmark a few years ago but are getting a bit dated looking/ ho-hum these days. There is something to be said for torque, though. I can appreciate both the high revving smaller engines and the larger torquier ones, but these days I am leaning towards the torque (probably just because I am coming from the wrx, where you had to keep the rpm's in the sweet zone and you could get caught off power too easily). Its sort of like each company comes up with things you like and others you don't on purpose so there's no ONE car you know is the one you really want ;P Now, if they could get the TSX with a manual transmission you didn't have to worry about, all the screws tightened properly so no rattles, and a nice, smooth, torquey engine...

[quote name='scubie02']I didn't mean my post to sound as critical of the TSX as it may have--I really like them myself. The main thing against it for me was no local dealers, whereas I have three subaru dealers within 45 minutes of me--one about 15 minutes and one a half hour, actually. The stories about the transmissions and rattles are worrisome though. I think they are great looking, though, and the interiors on them, the new accord, etc, are very nice. I like them as much or more than the VW/Audi's, actually, which were perhaps the benchmark a few years ago but are getting a bit dated looking/ ho-hum these days. There is something to be said for torque, though. I can appreciate both the high revving smaller engines and the larger torquier ones, but these days I am leaning towards the torque (probably just because I am coming from the wrx, where you had to keep the rpm's in the sweet zone and you could get caught off power too easily). Its sort of like each company comes up with things you like and others you don't on purpose so there's no ONE car you know is the one you really want ;P Now, if they could get the TSX with a manual transmission you didn't have to worry about, all the screws tightened properly so no rattles, and a nice, smooth, torquey engine...[/quote] God scubes, why do you continue to hate the TSX so much? :lol: I totally agree with ya about the TSX and if they addressed your recommendations about the car there would be one right out in the parking lot now. But alas, there is just a Regal Blue Leg GT. Damn! 8)

C&D will surely criticize the Legacy's tires...They criticized the RE 92's in their recent test of the Outback XT. They said it was mostly designed to help Tahoe residents slush through the mud... No doubt they will say that these tires are unworthy of the GT's chassis, and who knows how the GT would have performed with proper tires and so on... :roll: In contrast, they have in previous tests given passing marks to the Michelin Pilots MXM fitted to the TSX and Mazda6, even if this tire is not too well rated by user on Tirerack.com It is possible the tires will keep the GT from winning

Archived