LegacyGT.com

Eww.. gas mileage!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Altitude will make a difference for some I would wager. Thinner air versus denser air. All I know is that I knew about the gas milage before I bought the car. Nobody who read the sticker has bitching rights about the gas milage after they bought the car. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd like to know how they do it also, it just dosn't make sense how some get over 20 in town and I cant achieve above 17 no matter how easy I drive. The number is usually lower.

I drove over 80 Highway miles today at 75 MPH and barely broke 20 MPG.

Thats stock with the "stuck fan" issue. I cant imagine the fan drawing that much power.

I understand AWD will suck gas, but come on this is rediculas. My Z28 and 350Z both got better numbers.

Sorry...just not feeling the love today.

Same here. Is there that much of a difference in the wagons vs. the sedans on mileage?

I am at ~7700mi. I can directly compare my LGT wagon (5spd, stock) with my friend jerami1981 here on the board (he has a stg2 sedan). He continually gets much better mileage both hwy and city. We are talking on the order of 5-7mpg more.

I can live with the mileage being low, especially if an upgrade in performace parts helps. Heck, I can live with the gas mileage being below par in the city and right at the manufacurer's number of 25mpg - as long as nothing is wrong with my car!

What would cause this lower mileage? Please refrain from suggesting that it has to do with my right foot - that makes sense in the city, but not on cruise on the hwy. I always use 93 and have changed my oil religiously with Castrol GTX every 3k. Should I be concerned?

Can't speak for the GTers but anytime you keep the RPMs below 3K, you'll get the very best mileage in any car. My Pasat got ugly mileage in town because of the turbo, but if I kept the rpms below 3K, I got about 25K average. I'm doing the same in my NA Legacy.

I am at ~7700mi. I can directly compare my LGT wagon (5spd, stock) with my friend jerami1981 here on the board (he has a stg2 sedan). He continually gets much better mileage both hwy and city. We are talking on the order of 5-7mpg more.

Hey bro,

It actually might be attributable to the fact that he is indeed "Stage II."

As long as he keeps his right-foot out of the meat, it's been speculated - and cited with real-world numbers - by many LGTer's here that the "freer flowing" modifications typical of "Stage II" hardware, combined with a better tune, should/will net better highway cruise mileage.

I've actually noticed this on my own LGT, which is in typical "Stage II" trim.

However, once we tip into our revised powerband, it's GAME OVER for fuel-economy. :lol:

----

Other things to check - your air filter and, of course, your tire pressures. These factors can all affect fuel-economy to the extent that you've cited.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

This past weekend did 450 miles highway driving averaging about 60 mph. Got 33 a gallon for the trip. Mines been awesome on highways, city I'm getting more around 21 a gallon. I fairly gentle with the gas pedal though...

For sure.

We're not driving civic hybrids over here! LOL

wait....that's not what I was told! my sales guy told me that thingy on the hood took in air, converted it to water somehow and WHAMMO! hybrid!

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Better mileage does accompany a Protune..... not huge but it does happen! For me it was about 1.5 MPG better than my 1.15 Stg II map!

Thats right....modding increases your mileage:)

Contact TDC & get a E-Tune;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Hey bro,

It actually might be attributable to the fact that he is indeed "Stage II."

As long as he keeps his right-foot out of the meat, it's been speculated - and cited with real-world numbers - by many LGTer's here that the "freer flowing" modifications typical of "Stage II" hardware, combined with a better tune, should/will net better highway cruise mileage.

I've actually noticed this on my own LGT, which is in typical "Stage II" trim.

However, once we tip into our revised powerband, it's GAME OVER for fuel-economy. :lol:

----

Other things to check - your air filter and, of course, your tire pressures. These factors can all affect fuel-economy to the extent that you've cited.

See, I know these things, but all it takes is you guys saying you get 30MPG on the highway to make me think something is wrong with my beloved grocery hauler (hey, its good at moving groceries around too!). Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I just need to jump on that mod bandwagon !!! (DUH)

I have no performance engine mods. I have a Perrin Filter and a home-made Cold Air/RAM Air intake. I get the fuel economy by having a light foot with gradual, uniform acceleration and changing gears 2000-2500 rpm. Also use the Cruise Control whenever possible (on the highway only - obviously).

I suppose it is a skill to be fast (though I never go above 70 mph - speed limit here is 55 mph) yet burn less gas. Would make me a good F1 or Le Mans driver ...since I could save fuel to stay out just another lap...enough to gain on the competition. Damn...a surgeon wouldn"t be able to tell where my head ends and Michael Schumacher"s Ass begins.

my overal average after 20K kms is about 10.8L/100kms but

then again my wifey tells me to ''get it on'' sometimes lol :D:lol:

I consider the wholesome power of the LGT more of a safety

feature than anything else, except on Friday nights when

my right foot becomes heavier for some reason.... must

be the swarm of Hondas roaming about :p

Well my Canadian friend, I get about 400km to a tank of gas, whether I gas up with 91, 93 or 94 octane. There may be a slight difference in mileage between the the different octane ratings, but it seems like I get the best out of 91 octane.

I rarely take it out on the highway, almost ALL city travel.

Now, I drive my car 'spiritedly' and am usually shifting around 3500 - 4000 rpm.

If the mileage meter in the dash says 12.4 / 100km then I am pretty satisfied.

I only get it to dip down into the 11's if I have a highway trip during the duration of the tank.

If you are mostly - all city driving and you shift between 4- 5K rpm, you'll barely reach 400KM per tank, I am pretty sure about that.

(I also have about 13,000 km on my car now after 13 months of driving, so my avg's have pretty much been unchaged for the last 6 months.

GI

All highway, 60 mph for a couple of hundred miles. I can get around 25 mpg in those cases, otherwise - I'm looking at 12-18 mpg.

actually the optimal speed for 5EAT is 75MPH @ 3000 RPM, 5th gear, should get you 30MPG or so.

This Space For Rent

is it odd to be getting 22.8 mpg with only 1500 miles on my LGT limited 5EAT? and i definitely have not been holding back the last 500 miles. and im usually always in the manumatic mode shifting at around 4-5000 rpm

I put in a full tank in my legacy and i've gone 300km and its already at the 1/4 mark! I looked on MSN auto's and they tested the car at 21 miles/galon with a 15.9 gallon tank! That means I should be able to get 530km on a full tank of gas....

maybe I should say that I was driving rather aggressive for a few days when I got my car but if I drive sanely and not shift at 5000rpm everytime, will my gas mileage get better? :(

Try this; cold weather; 50 l = 250 km, 290 in the summer; 20 l/100 km all city driving with several traffic lights. Somewhat spirited driving at times. The fuel economy is terrible. Love the car except for the fuel economy:(.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I come to this web-site for five reasons:

1) buy stuff

2) sell stuff

3) gain info

4) give info

5) rant

rant....this car gets s**** gas milage for no good reason;

and no, it's not a sports car

it's not a big a** sedan with a big v8

and the gov est MPG on the sticker dosnt mean squat to me.

Thats my rant, I'll never speak of this again.

better gas mileage can be had by opening up the

passageways, gut that uppipe ( useless anyways and

always a threat to the turbo ) and the first cat

in the dp ( biggest restriction in the exhaust after the

turbo itself ) and get Cobb's AP. Next, try to do what has

become the hardest thing in the world to do - lay off

teh boost! :D

I really think it is down to driving style...

I call upon Night Hawk to be my witness (he's also my friend but that is just another matter).

Last Thursday we had a Subaru meeting in the center of the Universe Schaumburg IL. We met in Chicago and drove to Schaumburg together. He was always a bit skeptical of my gas mileage - given that I always report astronomical MPG #s on this website. The distance from Chicago to Schaumburg is about 25 miles.

We reseted the odometers at the same place and time ...and he drove ahead leading the way. We took a tollway...I have a transponder...he does not. So he is driving 60 (snowing) ...me right behind him. We get to the I-PASS IL Tollway gate...he pays...I follow him. Well...my transponder doesn't work (actually it was the receiver on the gate). I am stationary, idling for about 5 minutes until they enter my plates into the computer and test their system and shit. I finally get going...he calls me...he tells me that he thought I passed by...and that he is well ahead driving about 45 mph in the right lane... Well I sped up to about 70-ish and catch up with him several miles later. I resume driving behind him.

Arriving at the destination: 27.6 for me...and 25.2 for him. No performance mods (as in ECU) on either car. I idled 5 min...and than sped up to catch up with him...he drove with fuel efficient speeds...yet I burnt less gas.

I think it is down to everyone's right foot. !

PS: I do have a ram air-cold air intake (well I like to call it that way - designed and built by my father) which nobody here takes it seriously anyways. No worries...I don't take their comments seriously either.

Tires are also a factor, in that different models can vary widely in rolling resistance. I am getting 19-20mpg in mostly city/rural driving, on winter tires and winter gas, with several WOT runs during the day. When the car was brand spanking new, I was getting 25-26mpg on the freeway at 75mph.

Archived