LegacyGT.com

Eww.. gas mileage!

10,000+ miles on the car, AP stg.I and AVO filter...generally avg. about 21.8

mpg. After reading this thread I decided to set the CC at 70mph/ 2900rpm.

I avg'd 27 mpg on rte.195 between Providence and Cape Cod. Pretty flat stretch of highway for the most part. It all comes down to the right foot!! (and maybe a few other factors...93 octane/winter gas/fat tires/stop&go, etc.,etc.,etc.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, I know these things, but all it takes is you guys saying you get 30MPG on the highway to make me think something is wrong with my beloved grocery hauler (hey, its good at moving groceries around too!). Thanks for the input, everyone. I think I just need to jump on that mod bandwagon !!! (DUH)

UPDATE: I started a ~350 mi trip on Thursday (3/16) and found out a few very interesting things (well interesting to myself anyways):

On the first part of the trip which was Hwy41N from Evansville to Terre Haute then I-70 to Indianapolis I averaged ~70mph and it was ~65 degrees outside. This netted the best mileage my car has ever seen: 28.8 when I filled up north of Indy (I had the biggest grin - my GF told me to just get over it :lol: ). The distance travelled at this point was ~200mi.

After this stop, the weather turned colder and even though my speed remained in the same zone (~70), the mileage started dropping to the point that the trip average rested at just above 26mpg. Now on Sunday, and after driving to and from Chi-town, and driving through most of Northern Indiana's small towns, my mileage sits at 24.9mpg

All this leads me to believe that anything over 70 starts sucking up much more gas on us non-modded LGTs. Also, and perhaps more importantly, the weather seems to really affect my car - accounting for the diffferance between me and jerami1981...

This is probably old news to most of you, but for me it just vindicates that I need to go to StgII and that nothing is wrong with my car :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

All this leads me to believe that anything over 70 starts sucking up much more gas on us non-modded LGTs.

liek no wai!!!!!!

Air resistance against your car at 75 mph is approximately double the air resistance encountered at 55 mph.

If you REALLY want to see great mileage in the LGT, run at 45-50 mph for a couple hours. Even in mildly hilly terrain, I was able to average about 34-35 mpg cruising at these speeds. No one ever believes it though, because they've never tried it.

I have.

It was incredibly hard to resist just kicking it up to 65-70 and just be on my merry way again, but for the sake of strong curiosity, I did it. I took what was normally a 1.5 hr drive and turned it into about a 2.5 hr drive! (spaced over 2 days).

Well if its any consolation my 2005 Mazda 3 GT gets pretty much the same damn fuel economy as my 05 LGT. I run Sunoco Ultra 94 in both.

Best ever in the Leggy was

450 km/tank city ( easy driving)

400 ( combo easy / spirited)

300 ( eating other cars)

I get average of 550-590 km all highway at 70 mph.

My M3 gets pretty damn close but is a little better in the city.

Want to hear about poor fuel mileage? Check out my thread about my whopping 12 mpg:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26881

I'm having trouble understanding the weather thing. There are people that live in Conneticut, etc. that are getting fairly decent city fuel mileage, but I'm being told that the cold weather in Illinois is responsible for my terrible mileage? Is there a lot of variation in the way our vehicles are built?

Well cold weather and ethanol enhanced fuels will drop your mileage somewhat....but not to GULP 12mpg! I understand that EtOH is not as fuel efficient as other fuels, but significantly more green. We had a huge discussion on the Kawi ZX12R and a similar situation. The Mazda 3 is in the same boat.

Just saw a great documentary on CNN Presents last night on the current oil situation...

Sidenote: Brazil is almost oil independent...they can provide enough sugan cane Ethanol to run all their vehicles......and 99% of their vehicles are FlexFuel compatible...the engine determines what fuel and adjusts....but EtOH is not as efficient as gas.

I run snows as well, so that may have some effect.

I'll see in the spring.

Hmmm...

I'm averaging 25 mpg and I have ~18,500 miles on the car. I use Chevron 91 whenever I can. The last tank I went ~380 miles and got 26.02 mpg. Of course it was mostly highway miles. And I paid $2.979/gal. Stupid California fuel prices.

Guys,

05lgt 5mt In the last week or so, the temps here have been going up and my gas mileage with them. 15,000 mile average on the computer is 24.6. Started out last saturday with 27.6 something after I did a stage 2 + uppipe. In four full boost runs thru 4th gear(just to check out the stage2<grin>)

I dropped *2+* average mpg or more.....took the rest of the week driving nice to get just 1 average mpg back.

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Hey everybody,

I’ve got a couple of questions about gas mileage and things. I haven’t gotten my car yet, hopefully picking it up tonite, a new 05’ LGT MT wagon leftover. I see the sedan has a 15.9 gallon tank, is it the same for the wagon? Also, how many miles do you typically get on a full tank before you need to refill? This is most important to me, I’m curious how many times a week I will have to fill up. I drive pretty much all highway and can cruise 60-80 most of the time.

Thanks!

Jeff B.

Hey everybody,

I’ve got a couple of questions about gas mileage and things. I haven’t gotten my car yet, hopefully picking it up tonite, a new 05’ LGT MT wagon leftover. I see the sedan has a 15.9 gallon tank, is it the same for the wagon? Also, how many miles do you typically get on a full tank before you need to refill? This is most important to me, I’m curious how many times a week I will have to fill up. I drive pretty much all highway and can cruise 60-80 most of the time.

Thanks!

Jeff B.

Nice! What color?

My owners manual calls out 16.9 for fuel capacity. I would expect with mostly highway driving that you can get over 400mis to a tank, easily. I get about 250-300mi with my heavy foot, city driving.

quit whining... your gas price is cheaper than a lot of the developed world

if you're in a LGT you have a car with high specific output from a small block... that would be the spinny thing stuck on the side. what do you expect?

if you want economy buy a hybrid or diesel.

i get approx 10km/L on a cruise and about 6km/L in the city.

by the way -- in stop and go rush hour traffic going around the DC beltway - 100 miles there and back --- i just averaged 30mpg...

i've yet to really see the horrible gas mileage that some people complain about.

30mpg in stop and go? Unless you were being pulled or pushed the whole way, are you sure yours has the turbo? :lol:

Its amazing the milege you can get if you stay out of boost. In my roomates bugeye we got nearly 40 (something like 37 - 38) on a road trip. Virginia Beach to St. Louis, no boost. It was a long, slow and BOORING road trip.

over 30 000 kms in one year, average is 13,2 liter/100 km on my OB H6.

typically 15 to 18 liter city driving and 12,4 on the autobahn here in europe.

Thirsty car

cheers

Unfortunately these numbers remain meaningless to me.

I think metric when I'm doing science & engineering, I do speeds natively in ye olde imperial, i think volume in metric much better than I do otherwise, but I think mpg not L/KM, I do engine volume in metric, and prefer it to cubic inches....

ohhh this world is messed up :lol:

Archived