LegacyGT.com

MyReview: GT --> SpecB (Traded the GT for Spec-B)

Ok ladies and gents.......I made an unexpected jump from my pimp'n GT to a spec-b, and here's my review on the differences and such.

Let me hook you first:

OLD:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/FMIC/DSC02836.JPG http://www.pimpmyauto.com/Pictures/FMIC/DSC02843.JPG

New:

More HERE

First - Why I did this

So many have questioned me, no I am not insane for trading it in, yes trading it in. Happened too fast to sell myself. My buddy is a manager at subaru, Spec-B has been there for a while....they offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on trade in/price on new one. Plus they had one buyer of the B that they said was an idiot and they didn't want him to have the car. They wanted a subie fan to have it, which was y I got the call.....PROPS to my dealer...anyway I walked out with it, $10 a month higher payment and insurance went up a buck a year.....so no big hit minus the 2k I put down. While I was there I drove the Spec-B, 2.5i, and 2.5 for fun (and by myself, lucky me.....) so I figure I'll give you what I thought.

Handle'n:

My mod'd LGT was pretty much insane with front Rear sways/endlinks, S-techs, blah, blah she was stiff fast and really low to the ground. A lil rough ride, but unreal handle'n. The Spec-B actually did better then I expected. The corners were a lil floaty in it but not nearly as bad as I expected. The porpoise is still bad on hard take off, but better then the 2.5 by a slight margin......The step from Old 2.5 to Spec-b to 2.5 was less then I had expected. That be'n said, I still think the B needs some suspension work for the speed I will put in it. As it stands, The B a perfect blend of power and steering for it's level

Drivetrain:

How the HELL do you guys drive around with this tree trunk of a shifter, the thing is ginormous...it's silly I feel like i need a ladder to get to the top of it. I had a bit of trouble find'n gears as I'm used to the tightness of the Sti Trannymount, STS, and bushings which IMHO make a HUGE diff and every car should go that route as it's not that expesive of an upgrade.

POWER:

Well to my disappointment, the stutter was instant in the Spec-B....I don't remember it being that bad in my orig LGT when I first purchased it. I felt like I was on a buck'n bronco at times (exaggeration).....it def lacks a HUGE amt of hp/tq compared to my old car and feels like a peppy snail to me. I'm curious of what stage I,II and beyond will feel like (again)....For how it stands stock, someone thats not used to the speed, this car will be a rocket but downlow it is def lack'n and in serious need of a tune and supporting mods. ;)

Interior:

Leather is awesome comfy, feels the exact same sitting in the LGT and Spec B minus the "I'm cool for having Nav and a stick which subie doesn't offer in any other model or vehicle......" the first things I noticed, obv the sweet deep red leather soooo purty, then my eyes went straight to the steering wheel controls....bonus then I saw the MP3 logo on the 6 disk changer....(insert my smile now) stock momo shift nob, nav, auto dim mirror with comp. other then that they are identical.....oh exept when I opened my trunk, my sales guy threw in the all weather mats without me know'n...I got home and there they were......BONUS

Overall:

You are pay'n for the sweet rims, leather, a lil above ave suspension and */500. Is it worth it, to some yes.......to me, My old LGT w/mods cost about as much as the sticker on the Spec-B. It is worth to get the 2.5, and mod it to the way YOU want it and get up to the 34k sticker price. But I'm Quality Engineer this is what I do.....start new, tear it down find flaws, get a new, tear it down....it's just what I do ;)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

congrats man!! No doubt the Spec B is a great platform to begin the modding again.

Some Q's for you - did you get a chance to part out your car, or did they give you enough $$ to make that unnecessary?

Congrats Scans!!! Are you going to mod this one has much as your old car?

No, I'm only gonna put and STS in it and thats it. Maybe Debadge, what do you gusy think?

......oh and window tint..................ahh hell

Bwwwahahahahahahah :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the stater pre-thought list:

K&N Typhoon Intake

Deadbolt TD06-18G or 20G

Power Enterprise-850cc injectors

Cobb AccessPORT 06-manual

Cobb Catted DP-manual

Cobb 304Uppipe w/egt

Cobb pulley-blue

Cobb Heatshields

Cobb STS and bushings

AVO Blow-off Valve

AVO TopMount I/C

AVO Fuel Pump

STI Hardened tranny mounts

I just installed the JDM 20mm Rear Sway on my Spec B last Friday and I think it made a world of difference. For the type of driving I do I am really happy with this set up.

I only have/had three major complaints with the Spec B.

1. Horrible stock shifter which I fixed with the STi STS.

2. Excessive body roll and a floaty feeling which I fixed with JDM 20mm Rear Sway

3. The annoying footwell plastic piece that made completely re-learn how I use the pedals because my toes kept hitting it. I've taken a look and I think I might rip this piece out.

I don't have stutter in my Spec B. The only thing that may resemble what you are talking about is when I don't shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd when I'm not going WOT. I'll get a very brief slipping sensation or a hesistation before it engages. When I shift and allow the gear to engage by smoothly letting out the clutch and then mash the pedal it never occurs.

I just installed the JDM 20mm Rear Sway on my Spec B last Friday and I think it made a world of difference. For the type of driving I do I am really happy with this set up.

I only have/had three major complaints with the Spec B.

1. Horrible stock shifter which I fixed with the STi STS.

2. Excessive body roll and a floaty feeling which I fixed with JDM 20mm Rear Sway

3. The annoying footwell plastic piece that made completely re-learn how I use the pedals because my toes kept hitting it. I've taken a look and I think I might rip this piece out.

I don't have stutter in my Spec B. The only thing that may resemble what you are talking about is when I don't shift smoothly from 1st to 2nd when I'm not going WOT. I'll get a very brief slipping sensation or a hesistation before it engages. When I shift and allow the gear to engage by smoothly letting out the clutch and then mash the pedal it never occurs.

I agree with all of the above staments you made about the B........I fixed those same problems with the GT in the same way so you hit it on the head :D

Trust me, we tested the stutter in my old LGT, a million times over back when it was a huge issue with the community......I know exactly how to reproduce it.....which was y i noticed it instantly.....it can be avoided with a diff driver style, I don't see it the way I drive, but I was testing for others, and my curiousity, I don't want this to be come a stutter debate :D

It'll be fixed quick with a lil flash regaurdless ;)

SWEET Ride Scans!! And I loved your previous GT!! Planet Subaru:rolleyes: ?? Just wondering. Anyway nice deal, are you gonna keep your old list of mods up on pimpmyauto for a future comparison?
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Ok, now that you've shovled a BIG pile of $h1t, what's the REAL reason you got rid of the pimpin' GT??? A PM will suffice.

The psoriasis was outta control, I couldn't stop it.....it was like be'n in a snow globe...the seats, celing, arg......passengers started wearing trash bags, I knew it was time :lol:

No really, there were no neg reasons for the trade in.....if you look in the Marketplace at cars for sale, the reasons showed there basically.....let me dig them up...they were really just lil things......I like new cars, I usually trade up every two years, this one was 1.2 years...

LOL......Nope website and all links will stay the same, I'll just add the spec-b to the list. I can make a CD of all pictures of the car and mail it to whoever buys her so you can have them all.....

If someone on these boards buys my car, I'll support it for a while...meaning help you out with whats in it, what's go'n on, ect.

The dealer bought it FULLY modded, AP INCLUDED. They wanted it all....my dealer is VERY mod friendly as I have said before.

There are a few things that need to be fixed before they sell it, or you should be aware of if you buy it.

1) Rear endlinks need to be replaced - AVO - $75

2) Shifter items

Snap Ring - 031432000

Bushing-Stay Complete (bucket) - 35035KA010

o-rings, both P/N-062620280 - prob about $20

3)The front left rim is slightly dented (not curb rash or anything, I nailed a pothole few weeks back)

4) Front left fender has a tiny dent and a few scratches, no idea how they happened came outta the store and there it was, prob some idiot in an suv back'n out. (no i don't have pics)

5) The front lip is trashed, needs some fiberglass love and some paint. But you can just pop it off!

Other then that, the engine is in perfect shape and runs like a top....everyone at the dealer is in love with the car, 2 guys actually debated trading in there new WRX's for it......LOL

If I were gonna share the mods I would've moved them over to my new ride, as they all would've fit ;) There were a lot of factors why I did this....it wasn't on a whim....I was gonna tear down the car soon anyway and redo the wholesetup with a new one....so I figured share the whole car with someone :D

Attached pics were taken on the way to the dealer, just incase I did pull the trigger.

SWEET Ride Scans!! And I loved your previous GT!! Planet Subaru:rolleyes: ?? Just wondering. Anyway nice deal, are you gonna keep your old list of mods up on pimpmyauto for a future comparison?

Yeah, old site and pictures/ref's will be left :icon_bigg

Oh and I forgot to mention, another lil ditty for me, I didn't want the stock spoiler and I couldn't get a trunk swap......now I don't have to worry......another +1 for me :icon_bigg It's all about the lil things....LOL

Did the dealership know about the old cars' mishap? Is that why you got rid of it?

Anyway, congrats on the new ride...I am sure this one will be just as fun.

Of course they did, I showed them before and after pictures when it happened, they even show my site to customers that are look'n for a LGT and seem like they want a more aggresive car....I should get commision from it...... :icon_bigg

I can't say no.......the mishap contributed approx 5 - 10%, it was one of those in the back of my mind things pushing me to say yes to the deal, but by no means a deciding factor as I got the car back in better shape then the before the accident ;)

Sure thing man.....

There steering is more responsive, but that's mainly due to the 18' wheels and rubber that's on them so instantly I could tell the diff. The Handling/suspension between the B and the 2.5 isn't really all that different. The B feels a tad more stiff and has less body roll. But by no means is it a huge upgrade....the susp. parts are an upgrade, but like I said before....you can get better performace cheaper if you buy aftermarket just for the GT.

I will let the supension break in to see how it really handles, then I'll prob upgrade the Sways, and poss springs if I wanna lower it a lil.

Don't forget these are all my opinions, come'n from a really tight, really stiff, REALLY fast car......for me this is just about a new platform to playwith and an awesome interiror with all the bling :D

Dude, you should have swapped the grille and headlights. Black mesh grille, and black angel eye headlights would look good on the Spec B.

Otherwise... nice move.

Look forward to see the mods progress. interesting to hear about the small handling margin between the GT and Spec B, over all. I'm gonna keep that in mind when I look at 07 GTs and Spec Bs... but I am gonna have to drive both to be sure... :D

Archived