LegacyGT.com

Megan Racing coilovers are here!

Boostjunkie

the rate differences in front/rear might have something to do with the spring diameter.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Tein's having larger bodies, but the MR coilovers are monotubes and the Tein's are twin-tubes. Usually monotubes dissipate heat better than twin-tubes, so even though the MR's are smaller in diameter they may resist fade just as well if not better. I won't have any real idea till I hit the track or my favorite set of local twisties.

Its a design thing. DMS Has 40mm and 50mm depending on your level of abuse. GP motos are pretty beefy too with a 40mm shock rod. All are monotube.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Tein's having larger bodies, but the MR coilovers are monotubes and the Tein's are twin-tubes. Usually monotubes dissipate heat better than twin-tubes, so even though the MR's are smaller in diameter they may resist fade just as well if not better. I won't have any real idea till I hit the track or my favorite set of local twisties.

Oh I did not know this. Teins are off the list for me then. lol

Drove quite a bit today with the new MR setup. I am even happier with them now! I cannot believe how much more confortable my car rides now. Around town, on the freeway, just better all around. Probably the best endorsement would be by fiancee saying that the ride is worlds better, that and my future mother and father in-law both fell asleep while riding in the back seat. There is no way anyone could fall asleep in the car with the old coilovers. I still can't assess the at the limit handling, but there doesn't seem to be any more pitch or roll in moderate driving even with the softer springs. BIG THUMBS UP to Megan Racing!

I'll keep you guys posted. I don't have firm pricing info to pass on, but I'd expect that a roughly $1K street price would a be a pretty good guess. The only other similarly priced option would be the K-Sports, and while I don't have any direct experience with their LGT coilovers, I can say that I doubt that they would compare to the quality and performance of the Megan Racing units.

Rebuild information?

What about people living in colder, snowier and yes saltier environments. I was told by others from here in Ontario, Canada, that I shouldn't even think about them because of corrosion and poor conditions we face up here and in the nothern states.

Megan Racing isn't the type of company that will provide a shock dyno. You aren't going to find that kind of info on this board either. The market is too small.

As far as I'm concerned, they're just another generic knockoff. Nothing special about these. Probably fine for the street, but it makes me ill that they use the word "Racing" in their name.

Warren

normally when you see 36 way adjustable shocks they are universals and only valved one way.

Yes, poorly.

BTW - Lee Grimes at Koni of North America will shock dyno any shock for free. You just have to pay shipping.

Honda Tech has a nice collection of shock dynos at: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1104049

Warren

Yes, poorly.

BTW - Lee Grimes at Koni of North America will shock dyno any shock for free. You just have to pay shipping.

Honda Tech has a nice collection of shock dynos at: http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1104049

Warren

Thank you for dispensing your pearls of wisdom about a product with which you have absolutely no experience :rolleyes: I have the MR coilovers on my car, and can tell you that they are very, very nice. Are they comparable to a set of Ohlins or DMS coilovers? Of course not. They are street coilovers that will improve your car's handling, retain a comfortable ride and handle some occasional track use with ease. They will also do all that at a price that is about 1/3 or less than that of the hardcore race coilovers. The MR's are rebound adjustable only, as are practically all coilovers priced under $2000.

My frame of reference is a prototype set of Tein Flex coilovers I previously had on my car. The MR's are valved much better. If it makes anyone here feel better, I'll talk to the guys at MR and see if they'd be willing to send a set over to Koni and have them dynoed. Also, let's not kid ourselves with the "knock-off" comments. From my understanding, there are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture shocks. The MR coilovers come from a factory that makes shocks and coilovers for some other very large, big name companies.

I hope I didn't come off as combative, I just want to establish a valid frame of reference. I am very pleased with the MR coilovers on my car, and I do feel that it is unfair for someone to slander a product when they have no experience with it whatsover. I will readily admit that I was a little skeptical of Megan Racing when I first got involved with helping them bring some LGT products to market. They are a little guy compared to some of the big names out there. After talking to them and seeing some of their product in person I have full confidence in their ability to produce quality products at an attractive price point. They have a few more LGT products coming soon and I hope they will stack up nicely to some higher priced options.

Some people will always decide to pay more for a name they recognize. That is the power of branding. What the hell makes a pair of couture jeans worth $200-300 dollars? Are they better made than a $50 pair of jean from the GAP? Maybe. Are they 5 or 6 times better? Nope, but people buy them all the time. :iam: Call it brand snobery, but some people will pay more for a name when something just as good with a "lesser" name sells for less. My hope is that companies such as Megan Racing who previously competed purely on price will be recognized when they make good products. As much as we needle Honda around here, they make good cars. When Honda first started selling cars in the US, a low price was a big selling point. Now they can command more money than other brands for a comparable products because people associate the brand with quality.

Ok... this somehow turned into a bit of rant... sorry 'bout that!:) Back to your regularly scheduled suspension/brake discussions.:lol:

I don't care about cheap or expensive. I care about good and bad. MR has a promising FMIC and exhaust coming up. I could give a crap about their other products though. I was talking about their coilovers.

Let's take their recommended spring rates for instance. They will promote more understeer, not to mention an unnecessarily rough ride at 10k up front. You put on 6k's up front, which is good, as that's close to the stock ratio from front to rear. This doesn't make up for the fact though that the shocks themselves are not up to par. The insides of most low cost shocks are very simplistic, and you will not notice how inadequate they are until you push the limits of the car (not the driver).

I think the best solutions so far for the LGT on the street are takeoff Spec B suspension (especially if you can nab all the aluminum suspension bits), or KW coilovers. It's not about name. It's about quality. If someone can make the same thing, or better, for cheaper, go for it. That's capitalism, and I'm all for it.

Frankly, I think that your spring rates are what makes your car FEEL better right now, not the shocks. Will it handle a few bumps here and there alright in a straight line? Sure. Start booking around corners like on a track or go around a bumpy curve on the street and let's see how they do versus another setup, like STOCK.

My diesel truck rides like a friggin Cadillac. It's got 130k miles on the original shocks. Those things are dead. They're basically holding the springs in place. It's fantastic going down a smooth highway because the springs are so stiff and the shocks are so soft. It handles poorly (think relative) compared to my friends trucks with Bilsteins on them. You basically have the same combination. Soft shocks, big springs, heavy vehicle.

Want to lower your car? Make it look nicer? Fine. Though the pillowball mounts tend to be noisy, also unnecessary in the rear since it's an independent setup. Handle better? Maybe...

Warren

I don't care about cheap or expensive. I care about good and bad. MR has a promising FMIC and exhaust coming up. I could give a crap about their other products though. I was talking about their coilovers.

Let's take their recommended spring rates for instance. They will promote more understeer, not to mention an unnecessarily rough ride at 10k up front. You put on 6k's up front, which is good, as that's close to the stock ratio from front to rear. This doesn't make up for the fact though that the shocks themselves are not up to par. The insides of most low cost shocks are very simplistic, and you will not notice how inadequate they are until you push the limits of the car (not the driver).

I think the best solutions so far for the LGT on the street are takeoff Spec B suspension (especially if you can nab all the aluminum suspension bits), or KW coilovers. It's not about name. It's about quality. If someone can make the same thing, or better, for cheaper, go for it. That's capitalism, and I'm all for it.

Frankly, I think that your spring rates are what makes your car FEEL better right now, not the shocks. Will it handle a few bumps here and there alright in a straight line? Sure. Start booking around corners like on a track or go around a bumpy curve on the street and let's see how they do versus another setup, like STOCK.

My diesel truck rides like a friggin Cadillac. It's got 130k miles on the original shocks. Those things are dead. They're basically holding the springs in place. It's fantastic going down a smooth highway because the springs are so stiff and the shocks are so soft. It handles poorly (think relative) compared to my friends trucks with Bilsteins on them. You basically have the same combination. Soft shocks, big springs, heavy vehicle.

Want to lower your car? Make it look nicer? Fine. Though the pillowball mounts tend to be noisy, also unnecessary in the rear since it's an independent setup. Handle better? Maybe...

Warren

The factory shipped the coilovers with the wrong springs. They were supposed to come with 6 kg/mm springs up front, and production models will come with 6 kg/mm front/ 8 kg/mm rear springs. I had originally suggested 6F/7R to them, but their head R&D guy wanted to dial out even more understeer, so he wanted me to try 8 kg/mm springs in the rear first and report back.

I don't know where the stiff spring comments are coming from since the MR coilovers are softer than the Tein coilovers I used to have both front and rear. I can frankly say that I am irked by your assertion that all inexpensive coilovers are all built crappy and the same. Have you taken apart a set of MR coilovers? Have you taken apart any other entry level coilovers, or any coilovers for that matter? This is not a personal attack, but c'mon if you can't back up your opinion with at least a shred of proof I can't say that your opinion is worth much. I happen to know for a fact that the MR coilovers come from exactly the same factory as an offering from a large big name brand, and is functionally extremely similar.

I honestly haven't had a chance to take my car to the track or hustle around the local canyons much. In a few spirited corners around town, the balance seems very neutral. I'll offer my opinions as to the overall handling of the MR setup after I get a chance to wring it out. While I am certainly not a veteran track racer, I have run several open track days in my old cars. I do know what a good handling car is, and how to drive. The only timed competition I have ever entered was a Mazda Rev-It-Up event a year or two ago and I placed in top 50 nationwide in the club class (people with some track experience). I'm not just some guy looking for cheap bling. I like to drive. BTW, a member over at NASIOC with a 2.5RS took his MR coilover equipped car out to Willow Springs for a casting call for Best Motoring's American Touge 2. The car was severly overmatched in the power department by the high hp Skylines and such. However, the pro driver lapping the cars told the owner that his car handled fantastically, but was short on power... not bad for coilovers that you seem to think can't hold the jockstrap of some of the "name" coilovers. Here's a link: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12073683i#post12073683

BTW, if you think that the soft shocks on your truck are "holding the springs in place" you couldn't be more wrong. If your shocks were as flacid as you think they were, you would have been riding a pogo stick down the road, with the springs undulating unchecked. My old work truck had 180K miles on it with the stock shocks and that's exactly what was going on. Perhaps you misphrased your comment, but simply put, soft shocks make for a floating smooth ride over small bumps and gentle undulations, but will launch you out of your seat over sharp rises and big bumps. The MR's are a world better than the Tein's I had in this respect. They maintain firm control of wheel and body motions over high speed/high amplitude compressions while still feeling compliant over small bumps. That is good valving.

BTW, thanks for the comments on the FMIC and exhaust. I'm the one designing the FMIC for Megan Racing and the exhaust was designed around parameters that I told them were priorities to this community and it was fabbed on my car.

I happen to know for a fact that the MR coilovers come from exactly the same factory as an offering from a large big name brand, and is functionally extremely similar.

Yes, Apexi. Overpriced for what they are.

The MR's are a world better than the Tein's I had in this respect. They maintain firm control of wheel and body motions over high speed/high amplitude compressions while still feeling compliant over small bumps. That is good valving.

So, you say the Teins had stiffer springs, but the MR's feel better going over bumps? How in the world is that an apples to apples comparison? Frankly, I like Tein a lot more than the generic monotube coilovers. Some of their (non-gadgety) products are actually pretty good. You should throw those springs on the Teins and see how it does.

I've been able to drive, look at, and pick up gobs of different suspensions. I've owned and raced (real racing, not just street driving) on JIC's, Konis, and driven on many brands on street and on track. A friend of mine, who actually posts here on occasion, and already owns an LGT, used to own a tuning shop. We got to look at various suspensions as they rolled through.

I advocate that people should go and learn about this stuff and not make the same mistakes I made. Start off with that thread that I linked to H-T. It has links to presentations from Koni that has real measurements of their products and competitors.

Get MR to send shocks to Koni to get dynoed for *FREE*. People should know what they are buying.

Warren

• 3 weeks later...

So which brand/model would you suggest for LGT if I want coilovers?

Yes, Apexi. Overpriced for what they are.

I've been able to drive, look at, and pick up gobs of different suspensions. I've owned and raced (real racing, not just street driving) on JIC's, Konis, and driven on many brands on street and on track. A friend of mine, who actually posts here on occasion, and already owns an LGT, used to own a tuning shop. We got to look at various suspensions as they rolled through.

Warren

Archived