LegacyGT.com

Precision Brakes big brake kit

1max2nv

I contacted Precision Brakes Company about developing a big brake kit for us. I had a very good experience with them on my other car. They made a custom 2 piece rotor to fit my AP/Stillen brake kit on my Maxima. What I was looking for was a 4 pot piston brake kit with 2 piece rotors that's under $2k. I did a search on here and I think the closest one were the AP Racing kit, Rotora or the Brembo Grand Turismo kit. I believe all were over $2K.

http://www.precisionbrakes.com/

PBC did an analysis and came up with a kit that will be around 12% improvement over stock with the 4 pot and 13" rotors. This kit might fit under the stock 17s. The rotors can be cross drilled/slotted, Plain or Slotted-Only

http://images15.fotki.com/v233/photos/5/55372/3085104/PBC_to_Stock_comparsion-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v265/photos/5/55372/3085104/precision_brakes-vi.jpg

They can also do a 14" with 6 pot or 4 pot calipers. This one will require you to have 18" wheels.

The price they quoted me was $1400.

Sounds like a good deal??

The analysis is wrong, the stock brakes have 2 pistons, so the Precision pistons are too small. The stock sliding caliper acts like 4 pistons, so with the current piston sizing and rotor sizing you lose ~20.4% of the torque on the front tires. You will spin the car if you bias that far to the rear...

Ted

:spin:

The analysis is wrong, the stock brakes have 2 pistons, so the Precision pistons are too small. The stock sliding caliper acts like 4 pistons, so with the current piston sizing and rotor sizing you lose ~20.4% of the torque on the front tires. You will spin the car if you bias that far to the rear...

Ted

mmm, trail braking at its finest ;)

Keefe

From the pics, there doesn't appear to be any dust seals? You want to have them unless you don't mind doing caliper rebuilds often. They look more like club/track brakes, similar to wilwood, and other smaller scale manufacturer's...

One other 2pc rotor, 4 piston setup is Stoptech's. They ring in about $1695 from nasioc vendors...

Do you mean the Cobb/Stoptech? Or do Stoptech sell directly?

From the pics, there doesn't appear to be any dust seals? You want to have them unless you don't mind doing caliper rebuilds often. They look more like club/track brakes, similar to wilwood, and other smaller scale manufacturer's...

One other 2pc rotor, 4 piston setup is Stoptech's. They ring in about $1695 from nasioc vendors...

1max2NV - If you're street driving the car, make sure your brake upgrade you choose is designed with street calipers. Many times companies will use "race only" or "off-road only" calipers that do not have dust seals or anti-rattle clips. These are non-DOT compliant.

That is the biggest reason why for our own BBK's we solely use AP Racing calipers; as they're one of the very few that have calipers designed specifically for street use and DOT compliance.

The kit you've posted in the picture would be very unlikely to be able to fit behind the factory 17" wheels. The profile of the caliper is too wide to provide proper clearance.

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like Stoptech is a better deal. I just got few quotes for $1600ish shipped from nasioc vendors.

1max2nv... you wouldnt happen to be a friend of "1cl2nv" would you? He mentioned once that he had a friend w/ a Maxima with those plates...

Anyhow... I had planned on getting something going with PBC for a while now. Havent had the time to come up with the proposal yet... RacingBrake doesnt seem to want to give me the time of day....

The one thing I like about the PBC kit..well, the Wilwood calipers that is... is that their pads are used everywhere... meaning CHEAP.

Look at replacement pad costs for Stoptech.. what are they? $150? Racing Brakes are what? $120?

Pads for Wilwood Dynalite pads are $50-$100 depending on brand and compound! The difference is even larger if youre talking track compounds....

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Precision Brakes, I remember them. They put together a big brake kit for the Elantra a few years ago: 13"x.810" DBA cross-drilled and slotted rotors, Wilwood four piston calipers, Wilwood Polymatrix D pads, steel caliper mounting brackets and stainless steel teflon braided hoses.

http://www.elantraxd.com/Img/left.jpg

This kit went through two owners and was used for awhile for SCCA club racing. Both guys seemed very impressed by them.

PBC did an analysis and came up with a kit that will be around 12% improvement over stock with the 4 pot and 13" rotors. This kit might fit under the stock 17s. The rotors can be cross drilled/slotted, Plain or Slotted-Only

12%, that's it? Not worth the buy for me if that's the only improvement over stock...and if they only recycle wilwood, forget it...

Where can I get a set of Stoptech's? Which vendors? Do those kits require the same modification as would a set of STI Brembos, or are they direct bolt on? Has anyone done this mod w/ Stoptechs?

12%, that's it? Not worth the buy for me if that's the only improvement over stock...and if they only recycle wilwood, forget it...

Where can I get a set of Stoptech's? Which vendors? Do those kits require the same modification as would a set of STI Brembos, or are they direct bolt on? Has anyone done this mod w/ Stoptechs?

LOL. I think you guys are confusing the statements. 12% increase in "effectiveness" does not equal 12% increase in braking "power". You cant change that unless you change your master cylinder.

BBKs DO NOT stop you faster. They DO NOT shorten your stopping distances. What they DO offer is consistent feel, modulation and resistance to pad fade.

Same goes with the whole .. "I got 6pot calipers YO!" so I must have more clamping force than you! Totally not true. The same amount of "clamping power" is being used no matter how many pistons you have. In some ways, you can actually negatively effect the brake feel this way by not matching the piston area to stock.

This is no different than a Stoptech, Alcon, Brembo, or whatever brake kit you buy.

Ted was dead on in post #5... see, by changing the piston area, youre effectively changing the bias. You want that as close to stock as possible... (we've all seen the StopTech white papers on biasing). While the calculated #s are not right in POst #1... that can be easily fixed by using the correct piston area for the BBK. That part is pretty moot, the main thing you want to get out of this is that the larger rotor enables one to absorb MORE HEAT. The rotor acts as a giant heat sink.. and you want to take in as much heat as possible, then dissipate it as fast as possible before your next braking event. By having a larger rotor, you have a larger heat sink... thus keeping your pads in a recommended, optimal temperature range.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

But stopping power is enhanced with a larger disc, due to simple laws of the lever. The same idea could be applied to a bicycle. Imagine using your hand as a brake caliper. If you have a mountain bike with disc brakes and the tire is spinning, it would be much easier to stop the tire by hand by grabbing the wheel (larger diameter) than the disc. And if you grabbed the disc it might hurt real bad, lol.

I felt a substantial effect of greater stopping power when I upgraded my car to a setup that was just 0.9" larger in diameter, and with the same brake pad composition.

Of course, the Legacy doesn't necessarily need more stopping power. Like you said, it's more about being able to perform consistent, repeated stops.

But stopping power is enhanced with a larger disc, due to simple laws of the lever. The same idea could be applied to a bicycle. Imagine your hand is a brake caliper. If you have a mountain bike with disc brakes and the tire is spinning, it would be much easier to stop the tire by hand by grabbing the wheel (larger diameter) than the disc. And if you grabbed the disc it might hurt real bad, lol.

I felt a substantial effect of greater stopping power when I upgraded my car to a setup that was just 0.9" larger in diameter, and with the same brake pad composition.

Of course, the Legacy doesn't necessarily need more stopping power. Like you said, it's more about being able to perform consistent, repeated stops.

Go to Stoptech's site and start reading some of their papers. In one stop, that extra .9" did not stop you faster. New tires, yes, extra torque due to the brakes, no.

If a stock system can lock up the tires, it is already using more force than you have traction. At that point, a larger rotor, more pistons, etc. become feel and/or heat capacity mods. Only better tires will stop you quicker.

Seriously, read up on that site. A lot of BABKs increase stopping distance. This is because they shift too much bias front or rear, and the axles lock up independently, instead of at the same time...

Ted

:spin:

Archived