LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

The current issue of DRIVE addresses this point. Saying that you must look for the headlight symbol in the dash, as the Electroluminecsent gauges combined with DRL give the illusion that your headlights are on, when if effect they're not.

So SUBARU knows this is an issue, and still does NOT make auto headlights available?!

Just turn the headlight switch ON and leave it there.

DRLs w/o rear light are useless- people are running them at night very often thinking that everything is fine. But I saw situation when guy nailed the other one in front of him- simply didn't see him- cause no rear light, and we checked these where DRLs

Exactly.

This almost happened to me (and I was on the side of the road) and that's why I jerked the stupid plug! Auto or manual only please. This method doesn't make sense. Period.

The current issue of DRIVE addresses this point. Saying that you must look for the headlight symbol in the dash, as the Electroluminecsent gauges combined with DRL give the illusion that your headlights are on, when if effect they're not.

So SUBARU knows this is an issue, and still does NOT make auto headlights available?!

Just turn the headlight switch ON and leave it there.

THAT"S WHAT I DID:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

^^^

- Yes, you can reconnect your DRL's anytime, just plug them back in :)

- Your tail lights are not affected...when you turn on your headlights, your tail lights will light up just like any other car, and when your headlights are NOT turned on, only the braking lights will light up when you step on the brakes :D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I disconnected my DRL's cuz Subaru uses the low beams for the DRL. After 14K miles, the drivers side headlight blew out. I don't feel like replacing bulbs every 10 months.

Yes DRL's are probably better for safety in most situations but for me, this is the first car I've owned to have it and the hassle of changing headlight bulbs every few months is not worth it. I've survived over 15 years of driving without DRLs and I've never had a pedestrian as a hood ornament.

If Subaru were smart, they would have used the high beams for the DRL like most American cars, Toyota, Honda, etc.

Well, think about it. DRL's are supposed to be so that other drivers can see you. Well, as we all know, the LGT has projection lamps. This makes it pretty ineffective to have low level DRL's. If they can't see you coming at them, then that's their insurance company's problem.

DRL + Projection style headlight = pointless

thanks for the pics Deer Killer :icon_bigg

just disabled the DRL...had enough of wife saying "are your lights on?" referring to forgetting to turn on the lights cuz of the DRL :icon_tong .......now looking to replace the factory H7's and fogs (H3, right?) with either some Silverstars or PIAAs :icon_bigg

Just did this on a 2006 - simple and easy, due to the pics. Thanks for the writeup!

Incidentally, your picture doesn't really show the box clearly, so I was a bit confused at first as I was expecting a connector midway on a harness. After closer inspection, I noticed the connector is right on the DRL box, and that's where you unplug it from. Nothing major, just didn't "see" that in the pic...

Finally disconneted my DRLs yesterday (drives like a new car now :icon_tong ) and will install some Silvania Silverstars tomorrow...:icon_bigg

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! These things suck. You will NOT notice any appreciable difference in your headlights. Save your money, they are a scam. I paid $40 for a pair of H7s from Wally World and installed one. Side by side, you can't even tell the difference. Same yellow halogen light. Trust me, you will be sorry you got them.

Matt

edit: forgot to mention, they burn out fast as crap and Sylvania admits that they don't expect them to last longer than a year. Get regular bulbs, or pony up and get RPM's HID kit.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! These things suck. You will NOT notice any appreciable difference in your headlights. Save your money, they are a scam. I paid $40 for a pair of H7s from Wally World and installed one. Side by side, you can't even tell the difference. Same yellow halogen light. Trust me, you will be sorry you got them.

edit: forgot to mention, they burn out fast as crap and Sylvania admits that they don't expect them to last longer than a year. Get regular bulbs, or pony up and get RPM's HID kit.

I kindly disagree - side-by-side, the Sylvania SilverStars are distinctly whiter in color. Both on my LGT, as well as when compared with my wife's Rex, this is definitely the case when viewed from *within the vehicle*.

Whether or not they're "brighter," though, is a toss-up.

Thus, whether or not anyone perceives these lamps to be a benefit is totally up to individual preference. I find them more pleasing to my eyes than lower color-temperature incandescents, and still quite yellow enough to not cause scatter under inclimate-weather conditions (which I supplement with Narva Golds - further yellow - to enhance curb/lane delineations, as well as for fog).

I currently have them paired with the stock high-beams, which produce a yellower color. I prefer the yellower highs as that helps further define distance/depth-perception under conditions where I feel ambient or road-side lighting may not be sufficient. My next move will be to HIRs for the highs.

As for bulb-life, both the Osram and Sylvania SilverStars have been known to have *vastly* varied "death rates." ;) The Osrams seem to have a better report in this instance, but it's still cited by a decent number of enthusiasts. So far, my longest-lasting set of SilverStars is now nearly 2 and a half years old, and still going strong - my current set on the LGT is about a half-year old now, and has yet to burn out. Much of my driving is night-time, so these do get a good bit of use.

However, I feel that, combined with the LGTs propensity to destroy the low-beam lamps - when that's combined with the varied-lifespan reports of the SilverStars - this option should be reconsidered by fellow LGT drivers.

As for HIDs?

Even they are not a panacea..... Current technology still carries the problem of drastic foreground flooding as well as light-scatter/glare under inclimate-weather conditions. And, of course, that's only for well-designed OEM systems; with an "improper" retrofit, increased glare (to oncoming traffic) and back-scatter become major concerns.

It's still quite a game of trade-offs - certainly, HIDs will provide for benefits that incandescents cannot deliver, but the same can be said in-reverse as well. :) One thing's for-sure, though.....while incandescents have probably seen all the development it's going to see, HIDs will undoubtedly continue to see excellent strides in design and engineering, and that, of course, will undoubtedly one day lead to a truly superior system.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^^^ thanks for the write-up...the Silverstars low beams are on now, and I'm gonna see how they work later tonight (heading to Universal Studios Hollywood now..). I got them from Target and figured I have 90 days to make up my mind...:D

^ That's actually why I've gone with Sylvania SilverStars. Purchased from the "right" local retailer, as you have, you've got a way to immediately return units that are outright defective (or otherwise unsatisfactory) at the start. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

the silverstars' output are brighter than the factory bulbs...i paid $38 or so plus tax from Target...now...I'm wanting more...just a matter of time before I get some x-tech HIDs...:D

I'm on my second set of silverstars...DRLs are going off this week. They both went within 2 days of each other though.

VVV I want to say I got them last winter/early spring....so maybe 9-10 months VVV

I have Silverstars on my previous vehicle. It's a little brighter for sure, and certainly whiter. They have been fine for 2 years now, fwiw.

Incidentally, just to point out a little silliness that I see on the roads. Often I see people with blue-tinted lights. The Silverstars are more white, and slightly blueish, but not like the "blue" lights I see so often. For those that don't know, blue is one of the harder colors for our eyes to see - that's why you have heard of those Blueblocker sunglasses. So, going "blue" isn't the answer - it simply adds haziness to your vision, and doesn't accomplish much else. Yellow lights probably are better than blue, with white being the best, of course.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Does anyone know where the proximity switch on the e-brake is? I am thinking of tapping into that and installing a switch for more selective DRL removal with options.

What do you want to do? Add a switch to turn them on and off? If so then switch out the brown cable in the drl plug that gets disconnected (white plug) I am doing research to enable teh high-beams as DRL's and tonight I found some more info that I will be posting in the high beam drl thread.

X

---