LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

Maybe.

But it just disgusts me when someone disables a device designed and PROVEN to save lives. Not just the lives of the driver, but the lives of innocent motorists and pedestrians.

Ever see the signs on the interstates when there is a major construction zone. Wonder why they ask you to turn your lights on.....??? So they CAN'T see you?

Wanna be cool and remove safety devices.....take your seatbelts off! Your not going to endanger other motorists or pedestrians any more with your seatbelt on or off.

But for heavens sake, keep your lights on for safety, and the safety of OTHERS!

You sound like the dorky safety patrol nerd from elementary school that used to cry all the time because people wouldn't stop running in the halls.

I have yet to EVER see a construction sign that says to turn your lights on in my travels from Florida up to Pennsylvania. If they can't see a car coming down the road in the middle of the day (when the majority of work crews are working) then having headlights on is NOT going to help them see you. And the better question is, why are they watching the road if they are there doing construction? Doesn't it put them at risk by distracting them with lights flashing by them? Maybe you could fill us all in since you seem to be a construction worker that spends his days looking for cars that don't have their head lights on because the only way to see a car during the day is with it's head lights on.

Just a few cut and pastes I found with just a few seconds of search....

EVERY State recommends "Lights on for Safety" in and around ALL construction zones.

Daylight savers

Your headlights can save your life, even in broad daylight.

Turning your headlights on during the day may save your life. Even on sunny days, unlit vehicles can be difficult to see at times. Research has found that more than half of all collisions in daylight are due, in part, to one road user failing to see the other road user in time to avoid a collision. In fact, failure to see other road users early enough is a contributing factor in four out of five daytime intersection accidents.

However, it's important that you use the right lights and use them correctly. Fog or parking lights, for instance, are of little benefit during the day, and high beam headlights can dazzle and irritate oncoming traffic. Low beam headlights are the best available option until specially designed 'Daytime Running Lights' become more widely available and accepted.

Daytime Running Lights or DRLs are in use in Europe and North America. DRLs are more visible in daylight than standard low beam headlights and are more energy efficient.

It is estimated that well-designed DRLs could prevent a quarter of all fatal daytime collisions and more than a quarter of fatal daytime pedestrian accidents. Cyclists and motorcyclists would also benefit from being better able to see approaching vehicles.

What are daytime running lights?

Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are bright white forward-facing lights designed to increase the visibility of vehicles. They are common in Europe and North America.

Overseas studies have shown that DRLs reduce daytime accidents by making vehicles more conspicuous to other road users. The greatest benefits are with more severe accidents, including head-on and intersection crashes, and collisions with pedestrians and cyclists.

Other important benefits of DRLs reported in the studies are:

• Improved driver reaction times and estimation of speed and distance.
  • DRLs make vehicles appear closer, which makes drivers less likely to launch into hazardous maneuvers.
  • The positive effects produced by DRLs do not dissipate over time.

Work zone safety tips

• Drive within the posted speed limits.
  • Dedicate full attention to the roadway.
  • Disengage from distracting activities, such as changing radio stations and especially using mobile phones.
  • Pay close attention to merge signs, flaggers, and don't change lanes within the work zone.
  • Watch out -- not only for workers in the zone, but also their equipment.
  • Turn on the vehicle headlights to become more conspicuous to workers and other motorists.

You sound like the dorky safety patrol nerd from elementary school that used to cry all the time because people wouldn't stop running in the halls.

If you feel I sound like what you just described, then your entitled to your thoughts. I was not a safety.

I have yet to EVER see a construction sign that says to turn your lights on in my travels from Florida up to Pennsylvania.

Pay better attention when your driving. The signs are out there in all States.

If they can't see a car coming down the road in the middle of the day (when the majority of work crews are working) then having headlights on is NOT going to help them see you. And the better question is, why are they watching the road if they are there doing construction?

YES, it absolutely helps you see an oncoming vehicle when they have their DRL's or headlights ON. They're watching the road so they don't DIE!

Doesn't it put them at risk by distracting them with lights flashing by them?

NO

Maybe you could fill us all in since you seem to be a construction worker that spends his days looking for cars that don't have their head lights on because the only way to see a car during the day is with it's head lights on.

I'm NOT a construction worker. My career puts me near mid-speed secondary roads on a daily basis. I make myself as visible as possible, and I would expect motorists to do the same.

BTW.....your post makes you sound like a dorky nerd from elementary school.

I'm here trying to state my point about safety. The safety of YOU, and the safety of others. If you disagree, you disagree, at least I made my point clear. If I convinced just ONE more person to drive with DRL's or headlights ON, I feel I've done a good deed.

You said they have signs that say to turn on your headlights, those are clippings from a website that I'm not going to have access to while I'm driving. They also recommend you DEDICATE FULL ATTENTION TO THE ROADWAY. You know what causes 4 out of 5 daytime accidents? Rubber necking. There are more accidents caused by rubber necking than because some one *GASP* didn't have on their headlights. They don't see the other vehicle because they have their head so far up the ass of their cell phones.

You're trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Sit back, relax and drink a beer, it'll calm you down!!

BTW.....your post makes you sound like a dorky nerd from elementary school.

OMG you just completely pwn3d me!!!!111one1!!one!:lol::rolleyes:

I don't know why you are so hyped up about this. I understand wanting to be safe when on the road but you're being overzealous about it!! There are many people that take driving more seriously than others and don't need to have these types of safety devices to be careful. Same goes for traction control and stability control systems. Too many people don't want to use their brain when driving and that's where the problem lies, with the person behind the wheel.

Pay better attention when your driving. The signs are out there in all States.

I pay very good attention when driving especially when driving through construction zones because I don't want a body flying through my windshield or bouncing off my car. I've driven through 6 different work zones in the past 9 days in 2 different states and not ONCE did I see a sign that said to turn on my headlights. They may have them where you live but I have yet to see any.

After the positive feedback this process received, I thought it would be a 5 minute job, no problem. Am I just missing something, I've got an '03 Outback and I can't find any connection or sticker that actually states DRL on it. I disconnented several of the connections that looked like the ones pictured in the walk-through, with no avail.

Any help for 2003 Outback owners? Or should it really be as easy as stated and I gave up too quickly?!? I would like to think I am more than somewhat inclined...!

Thanks for your help, the DRL's have been bugging me since the day I drove off the lot!

-Ryan

I don't about every body else' LGT but my connector didn't say DRL on it at all. When you pull the cover down look at the firewall just left of the clutch pedal and you should see a black (I think it was black) connector and a white connector that are right next to each other. Unplug the white connector and no more DRL :D I'm not sure if it's the same for your Outback though.....

After the positive feedback this process received, I thought it would be a 5 minute job, no problem. Am I just missing something, I've got an '03 Outback and I can't find any connection or sticker that actually states DRL on it. I disconnented several of the connections that looked like the ones pictured in the walk-through, with no avail.

Any help for 2003 Outback owners? Or should it really be as easy as stated and I gave up too quickly?!? I would like to think I am more than somewhat inclined...!

Thanks for your help, the DRL's have been bugging me since the day I drove off the lot!

-Ryan

TLS,

Another view to consider...

I think of myself as pretty safety conscious, I generally drive with my lights on all the time and I religiously wear my seatbelt. But, I have both disconnected the DRLs and disabled the seatbelt chime. For me it's about being able to control what the car does - not having it assume things on my behalf.

I like to be able to sit in the car while waiting for someone without the stupid seatbelt chime constantly nagging me. I like to be able to start my car at my friends' house without my lights shining in the windows of their house.

So, if they gave me a switch to disable the DRLs when I wanted to - I would have left them connected.

Power to the people.

Good LORD, TLS!!! What's next??!!! You're gonna invent a smoke detector which constantly goes off UNLESS there's a fire?!

Should we all have our cars painted school-bus yellow??

If it makes you feel better and safer that your car has DRLs that's great and that's exactly where you should've stopped... at stating your opinion. Let others make up their own minds.

You guys just don't get my point though do you?

By you disabling an important safety feature such as DRL's,(Jaycee, this is not aimed at you, as you and I go a step further by using HEADLIGHTS during the day) your not just endangering yourself, but the general public. Which I feel is just being selfish and inconsiderate of others.

I've been preaching "headlights on for safety" ever since seeing my first Saturn back in the early 90's. It immediately became apparent to me that headlights on during the day made a vehicle MUCH more visible.

From that point on I began using my headlights everytime I got in my trucks/cars. It became habbit to hit the switch, and I never forgot to turn them off.

People in my area know who I am by "hey, your the guy with the headlights on, right?".

I then bought a '99 Chrysler 300 and, within weeks learned that there was a module that Chrylser installs in it's Canadian bound cars.

My newest truck '04 GMC has DRL's, and I go a step further by hitting my FOG light switch every time I get in, which during the day keeps the DRL's on, and turns my running lights on, as well as the fog lights. A nice broad beam pattern of the Fogs, combined with the factory DRL's.

With the Legacy, we simply leave the headlight and foglights ON all the time. It's easy, it's simple and it overcomes the problem that Subaru left out automatic headlights. Just get in and drive.

During the first week of ownership, we found ourselves getting honked at because we didn't have tail lights on. We quickly discovered the car didn't have Auto Headlights. Probably the only car in the $30K class that makes you manually turn on your headlights.

I will likely go to my grave preaching the benefits of "Headlights on for safety". So if you choose to be selfish and inconsiderate of others safety, disable them.

P.S.......Just last night, I saw a work zone sign not more than a 1/4 mile from my house. I'll try to remember my camera and take a pic. The sign states that it is PENNSYLVANIA STATE LAW that you turn your headlights on in the work zones.

So if you choose to be selfish and inconsiderate of others safety, disable them.

P.S.......Just last night, I saw a work zone sign not more than a 1/4 mile from my house. I'll try to remember my camera and take a pic. The sign states that it is PENNSYLVANIA STATE LAW that you turn your headlights on in the work zones.

No, pissin on a toilet seat in a public men's room is selfish and inconsiderate. Disabling DRLs is a choice we all have and hopefully, most of the people who choose to opt for that choice are bright enough (pun intended) to turn their lights on in situations where lights should actually be used.

People are a lot more likely to forget to turn their headlights on when necessary if they DO have DRLs, but that's just my opinion.

True about PA law.. I've driven in PA plenty of times and have seen that sign several times.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not a fan of DRL's. Seems to me that it can be very dangerous driving at night with no tail lights (done it twice in 1 week). Being military I also like being able to kill my headlights (at my choosing) while approaching check points. I don't need to directly control my air fuel mixture (not that there is anything wrong with that - lol), but lkeave the headlights to me.

That's in PA...not in SC. If people in PA would learn how to drive better, maybe they wouldn't make it a law. ;)

TRL, I'm all for safety features. If the life-saving benefits of DRL have been actually proven then auto manufacturers should employ them by default. However, they can also learn from this forum/thread that there are situations where they can be dangerous. This danger can be reduced by providing fully automatic lights (as in my other vehicle), as well as an override switch for those times when they are more of a nuisance than an accident preventer.

I also don't believe it's of value to leave your light switch on all the time since the taillights will be lit up possibly causing other drivers behind you not to notice that you have applied the brakes - thereby potentially causing an accident. People tend to not "see" what they get used to.

BadAndy,

Good jab at PA ;)

Yes it's the PA law, and yes PA drivers as a whole tend to suck the big one. They need all the help they can get! But at least up in PA, we know how to drive other then going round and round while turning LEFT! :lol:

Our headlight switch on the Legacy has been "ON" since the second week of ownership.

This car NEEDS auto-headlamps.....BADLY! Don't know of any other $30K car that DOESN'T have them.

We just keep the headlight switch ON all the time. Kill two birds with one stone. It emulates DRL's during the day, and .....guess what....cant forget to turn something ON thats already ON when it gets dark!

We just keep the headlight switch ON all the time. Kill two birds with one stone. It emulates Daryl's during the day, and .....guess what....cant forget to turn something ON thats already ON when it gets dark!

The only problem is that the dash dims down and gets hard to see when it's sunny. Auto-Lamps on my 2003 Navigator are sweet, can't figure out why in 2005 you cant get them on a 33k car.