LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

• 2 weeks later...

I have to get rid of DRL. The other night I was waiting by the side of the road for my wife to catch up to me and I almost got sideswiped! I wondered what the problem was (are they blind?) and then realized I hadn't turned the lights on! Either give me full auto, or don't help me. These things are gonna get me killed. They must go - now!

Thanks for the post on how to get rid of them.

Deer(L) Killer, nice job and pix. Thanks very much. Hal9e3 sums up the anti-DRL sentiment nicely. My 1996 SAAB 900 had a single fuse for DRL and the owner's manual even told you about it. Subaru.com did not particulary like it when I suggested that perhaps they could do the same. Oh well.

My driveway is on a slant, when I drive up the DRLs nail the neighbor's windows. Used to turn the headlights off at the bottom of the driveway. DRLs shall go this weekend!

Also turned off the auto-off lights feature when the ignition goes off. Getting too used to it, will be leaving lights on other cars in no time, hehe.

On the subject of electronics, is there anyway to keep the power outlets hot when the ignition is off?

-B

aight so i got a q

if i want to do the mod, instead of leaving the connector out of the original place it should go, can i take liek a plastic bag or some sort of cloth, wrap it around the connector, and put it back in, so there is no rattling but it still wont connect?? or is that a afire hazard or somthing?

If Subaru and other manufacturers are concerned about safety, why not just turn on the tail lights as part of the DRL feature? :confused:

Nobody ever got blinded by a tail light--except maybe for those laser-bright rear fog lights in Europe.

I tried to do it myself but I was unable to unplug it. How do you do it ? Do you actually just pull it ? There is no screw driver to be used...no little snap-on harness to worry about ? Is it as simple as just pulling the white connector out ? Please help ?

I tried to do it myself but I was unable to unplug it. How do you do it ? Do you actually just pull it ? There is no screw driver to be used...no little snap-on harness to worry about ? Is it as simple as just pulling the white connector out ? Please help ?
Just push the tab with your thumb.. it may be very, very tight.. Just keep wiggling.

I'm next in line to disable mine. I hate DRL's for all of the previous reasons stated especially the motorcyle thing. If they want DRL's they should use than dang parking lights for it, that still keeps you visible. I need to disconnect mine because they get pissed up at the observatory when you pull in the parking lot with lights on (and rightly so).

I'm next in line to disable mine. I hate DRL's for all of the previous reasons stated especially the motorcyle thing. If they want DRL's they should use than dang parking lights for it, that still keeps you visible. I need to disconnect mine because they get pissed up at the observatory when you pull in the parking lot with lights on (and rightly so).

I had to disable mine in my last car because I was driving through military checkpoints in Germany several times a day. Teenagers with guns getting nervous because I'm wiping out their night vision didn't seem like a good idea. Of course I tried using my parking lights, but after the first dead battery from leaving them on all day, I needed a better solution.

At least with the Subaru, it'll be easy if I decide to go that way.

DRL by Subaru it's a funny thing -they used hand brake switch to enable or disable DRL , right? .......So I was standing up-hill on pretty intersection and used a hand brake to prevent car from backing up, and suddenly my light went off - what a crap ........After that made decision DRL are going out.

I,m glad and thankfull for an idea with the connector- otherwise I was ready to start play with hand brake switch:lol:

There is sort of pin or snap-on in front of connector, I pull it by flat screwdriver bit . It's exectly in the center .....try it;)

• 2 weeks later...

Did this on OBi. Wasn't quite as easy as I thought it would be since there was about 372 other connectors under there and it's not exactly the most comfortable place to access. It was also quite hard to pull the connector out.. tab lock required good amount of force.

Thanks for the write-up and pics!! :)

DRL's save LIVES....Proven.

They make you more visible to pedestrians and other motorists....Proven.

Subaru, by NOT having auto headlamps has you often forgetting to turn on your headlights when it gets dark.

Solution (and it's easy and a real good one) .....Keep your headlights turned ON all the time. They go OFF with the ignition.

People SEE you, and at night, your headlights are already ON, so you don't forget to turn them on.

Ours have been ON since it was new.

Of course, our RED car is about the most visible color out there, but any hair of safety that I can get is GREAT.

As a person who works along side roadways, I can personally vouch for DRL's effectiveness FIRST HAND. There have been several times where if the oncoming vehicle wouldn't have had DRL's, you wouldn't be reading this post from me!

End rant.

If a pedestrian isn't paying enough attention to what's happening on the road they are walking on/next to then they shouldn't be near roads in the first place. The only person responsible for your safety is YOU, not the drivers on the road or the police or the fire department. Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be ok.

DRL's save LIVES....Proven.

They make you more visible to pedestrians and other motorists....Proven.

As a person who works along side roadways, I can personally vouch for DRL's effectiveness FIRST HAND. There have been several times where if the oncoming vehicle wouldn't have had DRL's, you wouldn't be reading this post from me!

End rant.

As a person who drives along roadways, I can personally vouch for DRL's peril. there have been several times when other vehicles have been invisible. Light emitting object against a light emitting background. Like that one time I looked both ways, zero cars, pulled out, and a black jetta with DRL's almost rear ended me. Now that I realize there is actually a car there, still very hard to make out with the sunset behind the car with it's lights on.

The army has done experiments with camouflaging equipment in the daytime with an array of lamps aimed at the enemy, which works astonishingly well.

So if by proven you mean not proven and by visible you mean invisible, you are right sir.

• Like 1