LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

I'm fully aware the lights go off with the ignition. That's a good feature. It's when I get back in and go somewhere the next morning, it might be 5 or 10 mins before I realize the lights are on. The dash indicator doesn't help (blocked by comfortable steering wheel/seating position), and I don't always realize the guages are dim.

between the gauges being dim and the green light indicator on the dash, I usually notice the lights are on pretty quick. However i see no real problem with driving around with them on all the time anyways.

For the most part that is what i do, i just leave the lights on all the time and never turn them off. If it's bright outside, i push the snowflake button the make the gauges light up at full brightness.

as for a bell if the lights are left in the 'on' position after the car is turned off... i imagine some sort of relay and buzzer type thing could be custom made and rigged up - however i know nothing about what it would actually take to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
I was initially against disabling the DRL's, but after seeing my friend driving home form work behind me (red LGT sedan) and how annoying the drl's are, coupled with the new bulbs I put in, I yanked that connector out after work tonight! Thanks DK!

I was initially against disabling the DRL's, but after seeing my friend driving home form work behind me (red LGT sedan) and how annoying the drl's are, coupled with the new bulbs I put in, I yanked that connector out after work tonight! Thanks DK!

Not to get back into the safety/freedom argument again... but I think that's the point with DRL's. They're supposed to be annoying so that they're more noticeable!

<goes back into cave>

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not to get back into the safety/freedom argument again... but I think that's the point with DRL's. They're supposed to be annoying so that they're more noticeable!

<goes back into cave>

You're right-that's how I felt, but I saw the "light" :lol:

this was great. took 10 mins just like you said. thank GOD. I hated those stupid things. no reason to have them on. more likely not to turn on the real headlights at night
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

That middle attachment is so difficult to get off.. how did you guys get it off so easily?

You just pull the panels apart, but support both so that nothing tears. Use your fingers to pry as near to the plastic rivet as possible. It will pop off, and you just pop it back in when done.

I just did this today, like the first reply in this thread says it can only take 10 seconds if you just reach up. Basically there is a box on the fire wall and if you really look it will say Daytime Running Light Unit, or something to that effect. There is a black plug and white plug. White one is on the left side, grab it and push the button in the middle to unlock the connection and pull it out. Note: You do not need to remove the plastic panel like it was indicated in the original post, unless you plan on ziptie-ing stuff up there. The plastic panel is flexible enough to get your hand up there and do the job. If you insist on taking the plastic panel off, to save some time you can just take off the screw on the left side and that should give you enough panel flexibility to get to the DRL box.

I too also noticed a couple of plugs dangling under there that were not connected. Any ideas as to what they were for? I think they were both female plugs and looked liked the DRL plug. Maybe not as many pins.

If its anything like a wrx, i believe those extra dangling connectors are for a 'test mode' they need to be plugged together when using the obd II port. I know for the wrx when using an ap to reflash they need to be connected. Maybe someone on here with an AP can chime in.

Im not against disabling the DRL's, but you are 40% les likley to get in an accident if you have them....... food for thought.....

Really? 40%??? I'd say you were at least 39% less likely had you been paying attention to what was going on before the accident.

That's to say that 40% of accidents are caused by people not seeing each other. Add to that the high number of rear end collisions (by far the most common) and this statistic is as asinine as the the person who made it up on the internet. :rolleyes:

Really? 40%??? I'd say you were at least 39% less likely had you been paying attention to what was going on before the accident.

That's to say that 40% of accidents are caused by people not seeing each other. Add to that the high number of rear end collisions (by far the most common) and this statistic is as asinine as the the person who made it up on the internet. :rolleyes:

ahhhh ye of little knowledge....

here's an idea, dont argue with an accident investigator. I dont tell you how to flip burgers......

Do a search for "last possible point of perception" thats an industry term.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Daytime Running Lights: The Studies

This page lists any studies for and against the government mandating Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and DRL in general. Anything in [ ] and italics are rebuttals from the other side. Please fell free to send me additions or rebuttals for this page by using this form or by emailing me. I can be reached to kevina@clark.net

Also be sure to check out Daytime Running Lights: The Arguments. Pro

Summary of Research: DRLs are Proven Effective

DRLs, at sufficient levels of intensity, increase visual contrast between vehicles and their background. Various studies have shown that DRLs can improve the noticeability and detectability of vehicles in the central and peripheral fields of view. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Reports , Vol. 110 ; No. 3 ; Pg. 233; ISSN: 0033-3549 (May, 1995); Allen, J. M., Strickland, J., Ward, B., and Siegel, A.: Daytime headlights and position on the highway. Am J Optometry 46: 33--36 (1969); Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights project, IV: Two-lane passing performance as a function of headlight intensity and ambient illumination. Technical Report RSU 76/1. Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, 1976; Attwood, D. A.: Daytime running lights project, II: Vehicle detection as a function of headlight use and ambient illumination. Technical Report RSU 75/2. Defense and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine, Downsview, Ontario, Canada, 1975; Horberg, U.: Running light--twilight conspicuity and distance judgement. Report 215. Department of Psychology, University of Uppsala, Sweden, 1977; Horberg, U., and Rumar, K.: Running lights--conspicuity and glare. Report 178. Department of Psychology, University of Uppsala, Sweden, 1975; Kirkpatrick, M., Baker, C. C., and Heasly, C. C.: A study of daytime running lights design factors. (DOT HS 807 193). National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1987.; Ziedman, K., Burger, W., and Smith R.: Evaluation of the conspicuity of daytime running lights. (DOT HS 807 609). National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, DC, 1990. International Studies

Andersson, K., Nilsson, G., and Salusjarvi, M.: The effect of recommended and compulsory use of vehicle lights on road accidents in Finland. Report 102A. National Road and Traffic Research Institute, Linkoping, Sweden, 1976.

A study in Finland conducted between 1968 and 1974 found that DRLs, when required on rural roads in the winter, were associated with a 21-percent reduction in daytime multiparty crash events (involving more than one motor vehicle or motor vehicles colliding with pedestrians or pedalcyclists).

Andersson, K., and Nilsson, G.: The effect on accidents of compulsory use of running lights during daylight hours in Sweden. Report 208A. National Road and Traffic Research Institute, Linkoping, Sweden, 1981.

In Sweden, a study based on 2 years of pre-law and 2 years of post-law data reported and 11-percent reduction in multiparty daytime crashes subsequent to the DRL law.

Vaaje, T.: Kjorelys om dagen reducerer ulykkestallene. Arbetsdokument 15.8.1986. Transportokonomisk institutt, Postboks 6110 Etterstad, N-0602 Oslo 6, Norway, 1986.

A study in Norway published in Norwegian and reviewed by Koornstra found a 14-percent drop in multiparty crashes prior to the law, during the 1980-85 period when voluntary DRL use was climbing. Elvik, R.: The effects on accidents of compulsory use of daytime running lights for cars in Norway. Accid Anal Prev 25: 383-398 (1993).

A study in Norway, covering the period 1980 to 1990, examined the effect of the country's DRL law, which applied to new cars in 1985 and to all cars beginning in 1988. DRL use was estimated to be about 30-35 percent in 1980-81, 60-65 percent in 1984-85, and 90-95 percent in 1989-90, so, as in the earlier Scandinavian studies, only partial implementation of DRLs was assessed. There was a statistically significant 10-percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes associated with DRLs in this study, excluding rear-end collisions, which increased by 20 percent. For all daytime crashes involving multiple parties, there was a statistically significant 15-percent reduction associated with DRLs in the summer but not in the winter. No significant effects of DRLs were found for collisions involving pedestrians or motorcyclists.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My argument stands. You said that running DRLs will lower your risk of an ACCIDENT by 40%. This isn't true. It will lower your risk of particular TYPES of accidents by a percentage, of which the number is debatable.

The majority of studies are also cited in Scandinavia. These countries are at a latitude where glare from ambient light during daytime is a greater concern. The same study conducted near the Tropic of Cancer might yield a different outcome than the study conducted near the Arctic Circle.

I'm not saying that Daytime Running Lamps serve no purpose, just that people who throw out ridiculous statistics do so to strengthen a rather flimsy argument.

And Mr. Accident Investigator, since you're a professional in the field, could you please show us the statistics that cite the varying percentages of accidents? I'd like to see what percentage of accidents are: Single vehicle, Multiple vehicle - rear end, Multiple vehicle - T-bone, Multiple Vehicle - Frontal collision. Just for comparison sake.

That wasn't very nice. No matter how "smart" you think you are.

-Mike-

:lol:

Furthermore, it's just silly! To assume I'm some moron working a peon job is a greater leap in logic than to assume that studies conducted near the arctic circle regarding traffic safety are applicable at any given latitude! ;)

DRLs w/o rear light are useless- people are running them at night very often thinking that everything is fine. But I saw situation when guy nailed the other one in front of him- simply didn't see him- cause no rear light, and we checked these where DRLs