LegacyGT.com

Thinking about getting an 8" sub in the stock location

Deer Killer

Just a quick question. Someone mentioned that the hole in the rear deck was actually oversized for an 8-inch sub. Was the hole 9 to 9-3/8? That should fit a ten inch driver. Infinity Kappa Perfect 10DVQ An infinity driver that has customizeable Qts. With magnetic inserts, or lack of them, it can be set up for large, medium, or small boxes, or without an insert, can be used in "infinite baffle" situations. Free-air. A matched set of infinity kappa perfect sub, components, and coaxial drivers, with a good high-quality amp, like McIntosh, or Precision Power, a few square yards of dynamat, and god-willing, an aftermarket head unit, and an iPod! :D Sounds like a winner to me.

As promised, here are photos of the Macintosh sub from the OZ Liberty GT: [url]http://users.chariot.net.au/~mtarone/Liberty/sub%20003.jpg[/url] [url]http://users.chariot.net.au/~mtarone/Liberty/sub%20004.jpg[/url] [url]http://users.chariot.net.au/~mtarone/Liberty/sub%20005.jpg[/url] Cheers, Matt

All right, so here comes the question that hasn't been asked.... Is anyone willing to hack up their doors to mount a 3-way component system ltruly duplicating the Mc. unit? I have been toying around with either MB Quart QSD 216 Components up front, or, and that is a big or, trying to find a way to set-up like the Mc. unit with CDT Audio 643 6.5 3-Ways up front. The rear seat would be either a filler midreange/bass unit or a coaxial from the same company. I don't know, but I figure if I used one of the Dave Navone ([url]http://www.davidnavone.com./[/url]) converters running into a good amp (I am looking at the Alpine MRV-F540 80*4 for the car and the Alpine MRD-M500 250*1 for a sub) I would be able to use the Stock HU and get very good sound. Thoughts? Ted
:spin:

Deer Killer, If you want good free-air subs and not too picky about bling bling, check out junk yards for wrecked Lexus. They usually have a 10" pionner free-air sub in them that's pretty decent. If you're lucky, you might find a Nakimichi or Mark Levinson sub in those Lexus. Those subs has to be free air since that's how they're installed. I don't know what BMW or MB uses, but those should be good too.

Thanks for the pictures, very illustrative! Does McIntosh or Subaru post how big that sub is? Can someone measure the diameter of the hole that it is mounted through... Maybe a letter writing campaign to McIntosh will get them to sell that free-air sub in the markets that don't have access to the subie factory system... If a 10 will fit, and McIntosh continues not to sell a free-air sub to fit, I'd see about making the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" work, even if it meant flareing out the hole, or cutting it a little wider to fit the back of the driver. And from one Matt to another, Thanks again for the pics.

You know, having usinig the factory location would be nice, but a simple, properly sized box in the trunk would likely work better and be les expensive (especially if you already had an amp, box and sub in your basement from your WRX :) ) What we really need is the plate so that you can install any DIN head unit.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']Thanks for the pictures, very illustrative! Does McIntosh or Subaru post how big that sub is? Can someone measure the diameter of the hole that it is mounted through... Maybe a letter writing campaign to McIntosh will get them to sell that free-air sub in the markets that don't have access to the subie factory system... If a 10 will fit, and McIntosh continues not to sell a free-air sub to fit, I'd see about making the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10" work, even if it meant flareing out the hole, or cutting it a little wider to fit the back of the driver. And from one Matt to another, Thanks again for the pics.[/quote] It's 8", I measured the inside diameter at 7 1/8" eh.. take a look at my pic, there's a beam on one side and "divets" on the other.. there just isn't enough room. Maybe if you could raise the sub a little and fab some fiberglass to make up the difference.. Also one thing I noticed today, the rear deck cover doesn't touch the metal in that picture.. at the rear there's probably a good 2 inches of clearance. I wonder how mcintosh mounted that grill..

[quote name='rao']You know, having usinig the factory location would be nice, but a simple, properly sized box in the trunk would likely work better and be les expensive (especially if you already had an amp, box and sub in your basement from your WRX :) ) What we really need is the plate so that you can install any DIN head unit.[/quote] I'm still pretty impressed by the stock unit. Not to mention it looks nice with the integration.. Only things that concern me: Getting good quality outputs for an amp Finding some non-fm way to get mp3's in there Are there full-range signals to the fronts? Components become useless without their own crossovers.

[quote name='Deer Killer'] It's 8", I measured the inside diameter at 7 1/8" eh.. take a look at my pic, there's a beam on one side and "divets" on the other.. there just isn't enough room. Also one thing I noticed today, the rear deck cover doesn't touch the metal in that picture.. at the rear there's probably a good 2 inches of clearance. I wonder how mcintosh mounted that grill..[/quote] Doh. I thought I had read that it was oversized from 8", and thought it might fit a 10 with some "motivation". no such luck. I did notice the topography of the rear deck structure, and unless one could fiberglass an enclosure to fit specifically to that structure, I am not sure how to get a box up there. I wouldn't want to give up the pass through, and I wish it had fold-down seats... Are there any other "cubby" areas in the sedan's trunk, to fit a box for an 8" or 10"? I for one, wouldn't want a huge system, and I don't want to give up much trunk floor space for this proposed endeavor, but rather just some high-quality toons, with low functional costs.

• 5 weeks later...
So that's what the sub hole is for. thanks for the pics mtarone!! So looking at that, most definetly the way to go is a 8" to 10" MDF adapter bottom mounted. Offset it slightly away from the springs (if you got the skills) and you'll be in business. Ain't no great 8" free air subs cause they are hard to engineer. And looking at that McIntosh, its going to be barely "good". Magnet assembly isn't deep enough for the long voice coil a Free-Air needs, my guess is 1" voice coil. There is hardly any space in the frame for downward travel, and very small diameter effective spider due to the large spider landing. Typical OEM woofer specs. Hrmm.. now my brain is thinking... hrmm hrmm...

• 3 months later...
I've been thinking about this too.. Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. It's more of an infinite baffle setup than a free air, I think. Yes, they are different. ID MAX subs usually make good subs for infinite baffle, but usually you want to go with at least a 12" sub for better sound. I have a 10" sub from my last car that I might try, but I might just go with an 8" sub. It's too bad those pics of the McIntosh stereo aren't working anymore...

[quote name='Th3Franz']I've been thinking about this too.. Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. It's more of an infinite baffle setup than a free air, I think. Yes, they are different. ID MAX subs usually make good subs for infinite baffle, but usually you want to go with at least a 12" sub for better sound. I have a 10" sub from my last car that I might try, but I might just go with an 8" sub. It's too bad those pics of the McIntosh stereo aren't working anymore...[/QUOTE] The baffle isn't very infinite :( The seats are really transparent, plus there are holes down to the seat cushions as well. I believe the mcintosh systems do make changes to the car other than just speakers, they probably have a solid backpanel to the seats, for example.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, if you're looking to conserve space and don't want to use the factory underseat subwoofer, Clarion makes a really good compact sub. The Clarion SRV-303 is self-contained, about 13 x 9 x 3 inches, has a single 7 inch driver, a 120 watt amplifier (2 channels), a remote with gain and crossover Hz cutoff, inputs for RCA connection to the head unit or for direct speaker level connection, and costs less than $200 (Mine was about $150, I think.) It works exceptionally well and added a lot of low-end punch to the Focal Kevlar components I installed in my 1995 Miata. I put mine in the trunk, but others have installed them under the glove box or behind the seats against the bulkhead. No room in a miata under the seats; it would likely fit under the seat of a Legacy. I read of a few guys on the Miatanet Forums who installed TWO of these in their cars. You may think a 7 inch sub can't go deep or give enough punch, but you'd have to hear this baby... it's really a very good buy. Alternately, the Infinity Basslink twin ten incher will fit in the trunk and take little space. It's also self powered & self contained. There are good options available.

• 4 months later...
High Q is what you want... around 0.6 - 0.8, moderate Fs (mid to upper 30's)... if you beg your JL Audio dealer, he might be able to order you an 8IB4... they're discontinued, but still available by special request. You won't need a big amp, either... 100-150 watts @ 4 ohms is plenty. Best regards, Manville Smith JL Audio,Inc.

Archived