LegacyGT.com

Got a speeding ticket today

Hey guys, seriously, grow up.

your like a bunch of higschool kids talking behind each others backs. The truth is, when you get pulled over, half of you wont do half of the silly shit you say you will. do yourself a favor. obey the speed limit and you wont have to worry about gettin pulled over.

oh and just so you all know... the 2 most dangerous things a cop does in a day is traffic stops and Domestic violence. 80% of officer deaths come from traffic stops and domestic calls.

picture it like this....

your fax machine has a bomb in it. everytime you go to fax something you run the chance of it blowing up and killing you. But hey, you have no choice, cuz if you dont fax it, someone may die, maybe even a family member. would you be a little jittery, maybe a little pissed of everytime you hit send? i think so.

that is all

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not everyone does.

Getting a ticket is never fun, and I can only speak for myself, but It doesn't occur to me to blame or curse the police for my 'indescretions' on the road. Nor do I blame Law Enforcement Officers for any dissagreement I might have with the law, as they don't set policy, they only enforce it.

There are a few of us here, I certainly hope, who have all the respect in the world for Law Enforcement, Firefighters, EMS, and the branches of the US Military who all serve the American public. (I have members of each of those groups in my family, including both of my parents.)

Any member of the above groups gets my immediate commensurate respect until that person demonstrates that they don't deserve it. (bad apples, and so on...) Which hasn't occurred often enough for me to recall.

I don't think many people wanted to turn this thread into a flame war for and against officers, and have pretty much been ignoring some of the crass responses being displayed.

But, NY's Finest, and others, please don't take the absence of rebuke as a tacit agreement by those not posting here. It isn't.

I was going to stop writing tickets for awhile, but heh thanks for reminding me as people smile to my face they're cursing me under their breath.

So you have a tough time being critiqued and called a revenue generator? I feel sorry for the next person that gets pulled over by you. If the person is nice to you and smiling you will automatically asume they ar cursing you undr their breath. Most curse because they have had bad experences in the past. Just like people give me the walk when i try to greet them at the door of my car dealership.

I've had my share of good and bad officers. I just hope next time I get pulled over it won't be an arrogant rookie that just got out of the marines ready to use his new found power to intimidate civilians.

I was going to stop writing tickets for awhile, but heh thanks for reminding me as people smile to my face they're cursing me under their breath.

How many bills have you ever gotten in the mail and thought "I can't wait to send these guys money". Sure you made the bills, but it doesn't make it anymore fun to pay them. You would be crazy to think you would write someone a ticket and they would think "Wow what a great experience that was, and he was so friendly"

Well if he as an officer says "Listen buddy, slow down. You were going 80 and you can lose your license and it is reckless driving but I will write it down as failure to obey a road sign and you will only get to pay a fine", then yeah I would say what a great experience that was, and he was so friendly.

You forget. YOU made it a bad experiance by breaking the law. Kinda like when YOU were a little kid and got caught with YOUR hand in the cookie jar.

now go to time out until you can obey the speed limit

your like a bunch of higschool kids talking behind each others backs. The truth is, when you get pulled over, half of you wont do half of the silly shit you say you will. do yourself a favor. obey the speed limit and you wont have to worry about gettin pulled over.

oh and just so you all know... the 2 most dangerous things a cop does in a day is traffic stops and Domestic violence. 80% of officer deaths come from traffic stops and domestic calls.

picture it like this....

your fax machine has a bomb in it. everytime you go to fax something you run the chance of it blowing up and killing you. But hey, you have no choice, cuz if you dont fax it, someone may die, maybe even a family member. would you be a little jittery, maybe a little pissed of everytime you hit send? i think so.

that is all

I stand by my story. The cop was a moron. I am not going to merge onto an interstate where everyone is doing 65 and me doing 55mph just because it is the speed limit. The cop didn't clock me at a specific speed he saw me accelerating faster than the car beside me. The cop was not very polite and was disrespectful by calling me "son".

I wasn't mad at the cop. He was polite to me.. I was polite to him. Its not like he got all Porky Pig on me. I'm mad at the system. If I really thought petty speeding tickets made the roads safer, I'd want cops to write more of them. I'd like to see more tickets for tailgating, red light running, road rage, distracted driving ect. Getting ticketed for going 60 on a deserted backroad doesn't make anyone safer... it just makes $$$$$.

to be honest with you all,

I have had over 17 tickets in 10 years of driving. i have more right than any of you to pissed. but you dont hear me complaining!! I was wrong, I broke the law, I payed my fine and lost my licence for 180 days.

So you have a tough time being critiqued and called a revenue generator?

The only movers I write are stop signs and those who don't have their children in a carseat or seatbelt. To me those are real safety issues that might cause a life if I dont' correct it.

Like this thread, And just like real life, the cops are never around untill it's too late .. I keed I keed. :) Respect Coppers! :)

I did have a story that kinda peeved me.. Was in a pack of cars going 45 in a 35, there were 6 of us. I got singled out. I was not happy. Why did I get singled out? I was the first car that got painted with the radar gun.

Conversley-

I was going an easy 85/90 in a 70 and came to long downhill grade. There at the bottom facing us was a copper, in the slow lane a lady in a white thunderbird who must've been going about 80 or so as well, but she had come up on a slower car. She dove out in front of me- causing me to almost rearend her, and of course the cop pulled out, but this timeguess who got the ticket? The car in front- the white thunderbird.

Works both ways..

Ahh well. Ticket free for 2 years now.

Yeah...it works both ways...just sometimes they're in the right spots...

my only ticket in the LGT was on my way back from Vegas this fall...I was only going 5 over pretty much the whole way...but then to pass a set of 3 semis I sped up to get by them fast (cause I hate driving right next to semis)...and what do you know a cop going in the opposite direction crossed the median and pulled me over...I was nice to him and everything but this cop was just an arse...I guess he clocked me at 12mph over (which I don't know if I really was or not)...but instead of dropping it 1mph to get to the next lower fine range, he kept it at 12mph over...it was an extra $50 or so for that...and then I had my empty cup with my bombilla sitting in it and he thought we were smoking some sticky icky...Come on how stupid would you have to be to leave a piece right in the open when you get pulled over...

I know not all cops abuse their power, but I have seen many cases where they do...like I've seen where cops will come up to a red light and flash their lights to get through then turn them off once their through (more than once)...Or cops flying down the road at highspeeds, and thinking oh they must have caught someone speeding only to pull up behind them on the off ramp...just stuff like that...

to be honest with you all,

I have had over 17 tickets in 10 years of driving. i have more right than any of you to pissed. but you dont hear me complaining!! I was wrong, I broke the law, I payed my fine and lost my licence for 180 days.

I have been driving since 1987 and only 1 speeding ticket to date. 2 warnings but only 1 ticket. My only speeding ticket was in a speed trap between NC and SC where the speed limit goes from 65mph to 55mph. One minute I am cruising at 5 over and the next minute I am being pulled over for 70 in a 55. The road conditions never changed. Only difference in the road was NC wanted 55 and SC wanted 65. Not sure how I was a normal driver one minute and a menace to society the next.

<RANT>

A few bullets, only beacuse these conversations really get me heated sometimes:

• Speed limits are intended for "safety" reasons, but very few are set at safe levels
    • The Federal MUTCD states that speed limits should be set at 85-percentile levels of existing traffic, yet I know that in MA, they simply refuse to do ANY traffic studies on the roads here.
    • When the National Speed Limit was repealed, the "safety nazis" said there would be thousands more deaths every year. It didn't happen, and in fact, highway fatality rates (per vehicle-mile driven) have been DECREASING every year since then.

[*]Although the police are "just enforcing the laws" that are present, they specifically choose to target speeders because it's easier, not because it's any more dangerous than other activities. Specifically, when was the last time you saw someone get pulled over for:

• Not using a turn signal
    • Not leaving the passing lane even with a trail of cars behind them
    • Not accellerating to the speed of traffic BEFORE merging
    • Not keeping a safe distance from the vehicle in front
    • Driving significantly below the speed of surrounding traffic
    • All of these are illegal and/or unsafe, yet no one ever gets caught for doing these dumb things

Read more about the truth behind today's traffic issues at www.motorists.org - they are one of the few organizations who helped remove the silly 55mph national speed limit. I joined years ago, and am still surprised by the idiocy that is our government.

In fact, if you want to take it a step further, I dropped my subscription to AAA because they are one of the many clueless organizations who continue to make it harder for us to drive safely and legally, by lobbying for laws that make no logical sense. If you have AAA, I strongly urge you to find out what they are really up to, and maybe then you will consider some other company that's not out to screw you when you're not looking.

</RANT>

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

I hate seeing mommies weaving in and out of traffic with their Suburbans while their kids are hanging out the open back windows clearly without seatbelts on or baby seats. I just can't understand why someone would sacrifice their kids lifes that way.

I feel the same way which is why that is a pet peeve of mine and I feel it is definitely my duty to correct for the lives of those children are definitely at stake.

I feel the same way which is why that is a pet peeve of mine and I feel it is definitely my duty to correct for the lives of those children are definitely at stake.

I'm glad to hear that....

It's unfortunate that this thread and others like it exist.

I personally have had my run in with cops, 3 speeding tickets in my time. But unfortunately, there will always be someone out there that is having a bad day, or is just an arse, and you might possibly get pulled over by them. Simple as that.

I hate seeing mommies weaving in and out of traffic with their Suburbans while their kids are hanging out the open back windows clearly without seatbelts on or baby seats. I just can't understand why someone would sacrifice their kids lifes that way.

I also hate when people put their dogs in open truck beds when they drive...today I saw a guy with a dog back there going 80 on the highway :icon_surp

picture it like this....

that is all

1st: Since when did defending yourself in the event you feel you've been falsely accused become childish?

2nd: Their work can be dangerous.... but since when did becoming anal about writing tickets to fulfill a rediculous quota constitute "protecting & serving?"

I admitted to the cop that I was in fact speeding. I was going between 1-5mph over the speed limit.

He claimed he CLOCKED me at 52 in a 30, just before a set of train tracks that would have blown my shocks had I taken them at anything over 30mph from a location (I asked) that had no clear line of site!

THEN.... the gun magically fell off his seat and cleared its self!.....???????

Are you saying I should have just...... grown up and taken that ticket lying down?

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Archived