LegacyGT.com

Got a speeding ticket today

Are you saying I should have just...... grown up and taken that ticket lying down?

You want an honest opinion that you might not like. Your attitude as the one displayed in this thread dictates how the traffic stop is handled by the officer. Your attitude may dictate a threat in his eyes. You have every right to not take the ticket lying down and that is what traffic court is for.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I C.

So.... (almost verbatim):

Me: "Morning Sir!"

him: "License, registration & insurance."

Me: "May I ask why I've been pulled over sir?"

him: "You know what the speed limit is on this road son?" *Answering a ? w/ a ?

Me: "Yes sir, it's 30mph."

him: "You know how fast you were going?"

Me: "Yes sir, between 32 and 35mph is where my cruise was set."

him: "I had you clocked at 52mph son."

Me: "Excuse me?"

him: "License, registration & insurance." *This time w/ a stern voice.*

Before handing him my LR&I.

Me: "I'd like to see the radar gun sir."

him: "You what?"

Me: "I'd like to see the radar gun you clocked me with, because I know for a fact I wasn't going 52."

him: "It uh....... fell off the seat and uhhhhh...... cleared its self!"

Me: "Is that right?"

Attitude still threatening? Or maybe just threatening to the quota goal? **This was right before the end of the year too!**

He had a chip on his shoulder.... as many of them do in this little town.

I can deal with being pulled over & ticketed... but what I CANNOT deal with is being falsely accused for a buck. Above that... with a cocky rudeness?

That's a negative Lima Whiskey.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Fighting or arguing with the LEO at the stop is just going to aggravate the situation. No way around it.

It is fine to ask for verification... and it is good that you remembered what his response was...

But this is something you fight in the municipal court room, NOT on the side of the road.

Plead not-guilty, go to court, and if your lucky the cop won't show (if he remembers the "radar gun fall down, go boom" response...) or if he does, you can bring it up in front of the judge. Mention the terse tone, and condescention.

Ask the department for public records for that officer's certification with the radar gun. Bring them up in court.

Bring up pictures of the railroad intersection, and where you were pulled over (proximity to intersection) and how it is not smooth enough to traverse at the speed he claims you did.

Beat the ticket in the courtroom. That is what it is FOR. Just don't treat the Judge or the Cop as if they are jerks, it will work against you. Putting people on the defensive in their "domain" (Judge in the courtroom, Cop on a traffic stop...) is almost always a recipe for conflict.

Arguing with a Cop on the side of the road is making things MUCH worse than they need to be, even if the cop was having a bad day, or happens to one of them that is less than a pleasant person.

I don't think you were out of line, and I realize it is mostly frustration talking. Take the action to court, though. If it is a less urban area (fewer police officers, perhaps only one judge...), the judge may well know that the particular officer has certain tendencies, before you even start a defense.

Attitude still threatening? Or maybe just threatening to the quota goal? **This was right before the end of the year too!**

He had a chip on his shoulder.... as many of them do in this little town.

I can deal with being pulled over & ticketed... but what I CANNOT deal with is being falsely accused for a buck. Above that... with a cocky rudeness?

That's a negative Lima Whiskey.

Looks like you have a strong case at court. Good luck. Thats what the courts are for, not what the side of the road is for.

You guys are absolutely right. I'm frustrated. I've had a clean driving record for over five years.... and I've only had problems since I moved to this city/town.... which has only been a year.

I personally see no reason for them to act like that or treat people in such a demeanor unless the person they've pulled over has brought it on.

I ALWAYS begin the conversation with curtesy & respect.... cause I know from previous experience (in the previous city I lived in) that it can get you a LONG way with law enforcement! I've been let off w/ warnings before because I was polite... so I have no reason to "act-a-fool" in the presence of LE officers!

For the record (in regards to this discussion). I just moved to this neighborhood a year ago, from the larger city (only 15 miles away :lol: ) and I've spoken to several neighbors and even people at corner stores who are having the same thoughts as I:

That the officers in charge of this town go WAAAAY overboard. I don't quite understand it!

BTW: This city/town (whatever they wanna call it) doesn't have a judge! :wtf: Only a DA works the courtroom. Only one too.

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

Butting in here without reading the last 6 pages, so maybe off topic by now. But riding a H.P. motorcycle in the summer time goes hand&hand with getting pulled over all the time with occasional tickets (maybe 4-5 a year). And being as young as I am and getting bent over with an enormous shaft by my insurance company, I learned quickly to find a lawyer. He charges $300 for any traffic violation and guarantees to get it dropped or I get my money back. So far he's been 9/9 with dismissals. And with all the tickets I get, its a hell of a lot cheaper to pay $300 one time rather than paying the ticket fine PLUS the rate increase for the next 3 years.

EDIT

My point being is that for those of you who like to drive fast (but safe) and get some tickets, I'd look into finding a reliable traffic lawyer to help you out.

I do plan on taking it to court.

I have every confidence that it will be dropped. My lawyer is VERY good.

Plus..... there's no judge in this town, only a DA! No plea bargain on this one... I'm in the mood for retribution! <~~~That may be overboard though. So... just a dismissal of ticket would be wonderful!

A dismissal in the FACE of that officer who tried to play me would be euphoric!

I hope you all know that the reason behind all of this are the terrorists.

and maybe the aliens, but mostly the terrorists.

Remember-EVERYONE should be considered hostile, but we all need to look out for one another.

Seriously, yesterday I got a freakin ticket in my loaner vehicle due to them having no inspection sticker on the vehicle. I told the police officer that the car was a "loaner" . He apologized, gave me the ticket, and told me that I should buy American next time.

This is not my beautiful car.

1st: Since when did defending yourself in the event you feel you've been falsely accused become childish?

2nd: Their work can be dangerous.... but since when did becoming anal about writing tickets to fulfill a rediculous quota constitute "protecting & serving?"

I admitted to the cop that I was in fact speeding. I was going between 1-5mph over the speed limit.

He claimed he CLOCKED me at 52 in a 30, just before a set of train tracks that would have blown my shocks had I taken them at anything over 30mph from a location (I asked) that had no clear line of site!

THEN.... the gun magically fell off his seat and cleared its self!.....???????

Are you saying I should have just...... grown up and taken that ticket lying down?

1. beecause its childish to say the cop was an ass cuz he gave you a ticket. Even if he was an ass, so what, dont speed, you wont have to deal with one.

2. No such thing as quotas THINK SEARCH POST AND SOMETIMES GOOGLE

3. dont argue with him. Take it to court. believe it or not the law does work on your side too. No judge I have every meet in one sided. TRUST ME. pissing him off by asking to his gun will only enhance the likelyhood you will get a ticket. Its called the Totality of circumstances., ie speed, flow of traffic, weather, lighting, driving record, and most of all YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS SAID OFFICER.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

^^ hahaha he really didn't tell you to buy american next time did he?

He did. I told him that my car was at the dealer for the past week and that I'm driving a loaner vehicle. He said "Thats what you get for buying a Japanese car". I told him that the car was assembled in Indiana. He said "The money still goes to the Japanese". They say ignorance is bliss. I was not going to get into a huge discussion with him. It is just kind of funny. His sidearm is german(Sig Sauer) his Cruiser is full of foreign electronics, and his Ray Bans and Cross Pen are made in China. In the meantime the whole domestic car market and manufacturing as we know it is or has crumbled around us. Sorry to get off topic.

I stand by my story. The cop was a moron. I am not going to merge onto an interstate where everyone is doing 65 and me doing 55mph just because it is the speed limit. The cop didn't clock me at a specific speed he saw me accelerating faster than the car beside me. The cop was not very polite and was disrespectful by calling me "son".
I have to agree I appreciate the work cops do but I don't appreciate them treating people in a condescending manner. As mentioned every traffic stop puts them at risk, it benefits them just as much as it does you if both the cop and you are polite to each other.

As far as being tailgated by cops, I have a real big problem with this. It's dangerous and irresponsible of the cop. Obivously not every cop will behave in such a manner but I've seen just what others have mentioned. It's best to just keep your cool and the speed limit, but it would be even better if the cop did not do it.

Never had a ticket though, just sharing those experiences.

I guess I can join this elite club now :(

I got my first ticket yesterday, doing 69 in a 50 zone (Km/h). It was just after a section of highway where the limit was 70, I just didn't slow down fast enough, although I did have enough time.

He said he would cut me a break and only ticket me for 65, which means no points and a $50 fine. I had the wife and child in the car at the time, so he realised I was no boy racer. He did have to walk around the car twice and then ask me what it was though, lol. I guess the Legacy STi badge confused the poor guy.

Only afterwards did I find out that the place I got nabbed was a well known trap, I wish I had found this site sooner :

http://www.speedtrap.org

I hope you all know that the reason behind all of this are the terrorists.

and maybe the aliens, but mostly the terrorists.

Remember-EVERYONE should be considered hostile, but we all need to look out for one another.

Seriously, yesterday I got a freakin ticket in my loaner vehicle due to them having no inspection sticker on the vehicle. I told the police officer that the car was a "loaner" . He apologized, gave me the ticket, and told me that I should buy American next time.

give me his name and badge number and city he works in. if that is really what went down i will get you an apology.

Im CALLING YOU out now......

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

1. beecause its childish to say the cop was an ass cuz he gave you a ticket. Even if he was an ass, so what, dont speed, you wont have to deal with one.

2. No such thing as quotas THINK SEARCH POST AND SOMETIMES GOOGLE

3. dont argue with him. Take it to court. believe it or not the law does work on your side too. No judge I have every meet in one sided. TRUST ME. pissing him off by asking to his gun will only enhance the likelyhood you will get a ticket. Its called the Totality of circumstances., ie speed, flow of traffic, weather, lighting, driving record, and most of all YOUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS SAID OFFICER.

1: Did you even read my other posts? *Read your reply in the # 2 slot for instructions on how to do this!*

2: I wish this were a true statement.

3: It should have been more than obvious after posting the conversation that I was going to receive a ticket regardless of circumstances. Asking to see the gun when I feel I'm being harrassed is my right.

If you feel composed to lay down whenever somebody tries to walk all over you, than that's your prerogative. I prefer to stand up for myself.

I was beyond nervousness up until I turned 21 and finally hired a lawyer.

When I was 18 I was taken advantage of and harrassed for sheer amusement by 5 County Sheriffs.

I was young and didn't know what to do, nor did I know what my rights were and I paid the price.

It'll not happen again. A badge doesn't give law enforcement officers the right to treat people the way I was treated that night.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I was beyond nervousness up until I turned 21 and finally hired a lawyer.

When I was 18 I was taken advantage of and harrassed for sheer amusement by 5 County Sheriffs.

I was young and didn't know what to do, nor did I know what my rights were and I paid the price.

It'll not happen again. A badge doesn't give law enforcement officers the right to treat people the way I was treated that night.

The local paper is a good way to handle shit like that.

Does anyone know if the technology of the cars being ticketed is taken into account? In my opinion there should be a scale reflecting this as doing 80 on the highway in an old junker is very very different to me doing 80 in my legacy. Looking at the braking power and handling etc.

Maybe this should be a new thread. One of the LEO' out there may be able shed some light on this for me.

I got 3 speed camera tickets in a week ( they hide them, the cameras I mean) $900 bucks and the bus for three months. Not much to argue in court with those.

Haven't done that for a few years now so I guess I have learnt my lesson.

give me his name and badge number and city he works in. if that is really what went down i will get you an apology.

Im CALLING YOU out now......

Are you talking to me? Do you want the Aliens badge number, the Terrorists badge number or the MA. Trooper's badge number?

:lol:

Jedi: Local paper? I'm not gonna lie man.... I was too scared to even use toilet paper, let alone the local newspaper!

I only found out from a DA years later that what they did was BEYOND illegal.

Archived