LegacyGT.com

Coolant flush?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
I've always heard that you should flush it down the toilet.

It is biodegradable and the sewage treatment plants can easily handle it.

Just keep it away from all of your pets.

I don't think that's the case. IIRC engine coolant is nasty stuff and should be disposed of properly (i.e. not dumping down a storm drain or dumping down a sink or toilet).

Also, I believe Subie recommends a bottle of their conditioner as well when replacing the coolant. Not sure if it's really needed or not, but it was about 5 bucks at the dealer.

• 5 months later...

bumping, i just got my car back from the shop and the radiator assy had to get replaced. When i start up my car I hear water sounds like its swirling around on my dash. Is this from them possibly not burping the system when they put the new radiator + coolant in?

Thanks,

Jeff

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

have a good linky on how to burp the coolant system? Why would u not drive it like this air bubbles make the coolant less effective?

Thanks,

Jeff

06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Here is the TSB warning dealers to properly follow the fill procedure.

http://www.thel7.com/TSB/09-39-04.pdf

Here is the section on refilling the coolant from the 2007 Legacy service manual. Note that the 2005 service manual that is floating around was published in 2004 before the TSB came out. I have a 2005 JDM manual published after the TSB and the coolant fill instructions match the 2007 USDM coolant fill directions.

MSA5T0700A142914 Engine Coolant.pdf

I would not drive it like that because the air bubbles are probably near the top of the engine. By the time the thermostat gets warm enough to open, the top of the engine might be too hot.

I know some people put a funnel in the top filler and keep the funnel filled while running the engine. This seems to work.

Since SOA decided to issue a TSB and revise the service manual, I would just follow the revised service manual. Notice how they give time limits. I think that is to prevent hot zones from forming due to air bubbles.

BTW, don't forget to keep your heat in the full hot position. This is necessary to circulate coolant through the heater core. It's in the service manual. And your dealer should not have released the car to you when it so obviously had air bubbles in the cooling system.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 wetters.....

make sure you use distilled & not just spring or purified;)

Make sure not to use ANY anti-freeze......

Still trying to find a header:(:(

Trying to get a GB on the GReddy header. Also, think you can help me out on the flush thingie? Distilled? No Volvic nor Zypherhils?

• 2 months later...

This was back in the hot months....

If you are racing.... OR IN THE SUMMER.....

It is better not to use ANIT-FREEZE

Red Line Watter Wetter and distilled water does a better job.

I just usually do a mix. I'm not going to change my fluid several times throughout the year so I put one bottle of Watter Wetter then somd distilled water then some anti freeze. (Pike's Peak Anti Freeze)

It doesn't get that cold in Northern California but I do head over to Reno once in a while where it can get in the 10-20 degree range so I keep some anti freeze in there.

Hope that helps... ;)

Just did my coolant today along with steering and tranny/diff. for my 30K change i took it to an import place and it seems like they just put in good ole regular fluid. i put in the peak long life global. more of a goldish color.

Archived