LegacyGT.com

Coolant flush?

So, does anyone know what aftermarket coolants are compatible with the Subaru Long Life coolant? I didn't have quite enough premix to fill the system, so I had to add (deionized) water to top it off, so it's now below 50/50, and I'd like to add straight antifreeze to bring it back to the right concentration.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Subaru uses green and blue coolant

The color of this coolant is blue and the first replacement interval is 11 years/220,000Km (137,500 miles). The second replacement interval after that is 6 years/120,000KM (75,000 miles).

Subaru Super Coolant may be mixed with Subaru Long Life Coolant (SLLC); however when mixed the replacement interval must be followed for Subaru Long Life Coolant, 30 months/ 48,000Km (30,000 miles).

- Cars101.com

So, does anyone know what aftermarket coolants are compatible with the Subaru Long Life coolant? I didn't have quite enough premix to fill the system, so I had to add (deionized) water to top it off, so it's now below 50/50, and I'd like to add straight antifreeze to bring it back to the right concentration.

Just use any coolant that the bottle say's mixes with, or something like Peak Global, I just used a Peak premix from Ace Hardware, they had a great sale price $5.00 for a gallon. It would mix with any coolant. I used it to top off my system after the new radiator went in last month.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Don't mix the Subaru Super Long Life Coolant (Blue) with Subaru Long Life Coolant (Green)

You can put Green in with blue but your interval will go down to 30k.

In actuality the best bet is to change it every 30k with the Green coolant regardless if you have the Blue or Green in your car (They switched somewhere in the 08 model year over to the blue coolant)

Green = 30K intervals

Blue = 100k intervals

The good thing about the blue is that it can last until your Timing Belt/Water Pump change at 100K miles when the fluid is drained out anyway.

We've had folks want to put the Blue in their older cars to cut down on the interval change but you never can get all the green out when replacing with blue so it's not suggested.

DO NOT PUT the COOLANT CONDITIONER in TURBO cars. It is essentially a stop-leak fluid and can become coked up in the coolant lines leading to the turbo due to the excessive heat.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

TO each his own. ;) Trust me I get where your coming from. Having this shoved at us as "conditioner" to fix a design flaw is BS.

I'm still probably going to put it in there.

Because...

It probably saved me from head gasket failure earlier than it did.

Funny part is the flush performed just prior to full on HG failure was the nail in the coffin, IMHO.

So well see once the motor is back together what I decide.

Archived