LegacyGT.com

Stage 2+ drivers, what clutch setup are you running?

I have a JMP VF52 turbo peaking around 20 psi at times. I have an Exedy stage 1 clutch with wrx exedy single mass flywheel. I think I noticed my first clutch slipping last week. Been 30K. Quite premature although I push it quite hard. The previous exedy stage 1 clutch (paired with lightweight flywheel) lasted about 60-70K I think; but it was on a VF40 (stage 2). For people with similar turbo setup as mine, or even slightly bigger, what clutch setup are you running?

Edited by xt2005bonbon

huh. Those are the guys that can import the famous dual range transmission I've been wanting from Australia. I'll check it out. Which flywheel are you running? How many miles on that clutch so far?

9 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

huh. Those are the guys that can import the famous dual range transmission I've been wanting from Australia. I'll check it out. Which flywheel are you running? How many miles on that clutch so far?

I use the exedy flywheel. I have less than 15k on the setup since I haven't driven the car in over a year (haven't started/finished the engine build).

I am running an act 6puck, it is overkill for my current power level, but I like the feel of it and leaves me room to grow.  I was looking at a Southbend clutch but the ACT was a much better deal at the time.

I have a friend with a spec b and he is running an Xclutch and he has a very close to OEM feel to his clutch pedal

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

thanks for the info. Could you guys post the part numbers as well if you have them?

this is what I have:

-Exedy clutch kit p/n 15804

-Exedy flywheel, I believe p/n is TYF001

Spec Stage 1 was ~$600 for the clutch + bearings. Standard kit.

Theoretically rated to hold your torque at least. I’m also still on a JMP Custom VF40, so kind of a mini vf52…

But then I have @RumblyXT’s old VF52 that might get the JMP treatment… so will it hold that?!  😬

• Haha 1

ACT Heavy duty street with STI single mass flywheel . Got something like 40k miles on it. I picked it up from a guy who bought it but never installed it, so the price was right. SB10-HDSS

I have a blouch 380xt making 360 at the wheels. Its basically a big 18g but I don't know how that compares to a vf52. I've never had an issue with slipping. Good positive strong engagement. 

I have nothing to compare it to. It's the first clutch I've put in after the stock one I bought it with was replaced. 

Edited by Bobsyouruncl

On 3/15/2024 at 6:09 PM, KZJonny said:

Spec Stage 1 was ~$600 for the clutch + bearings. Standard kit.

Theoretically rated to hold your torque at least. I’m also still on a JMP Custom VF40, so kind of a mini vf52…

But then I have @RumblyXT’s old VF52 that might get the JMP treatment… so will it hold that?!  😬

Your part number is SU251 as shown below?

image.thumb.png.ce6d3586afcae14e486e596f8e1d6e79.png

Yes.

That is the one. I chatted with the fellow at Spec on the phone, and given my use & mods, he suggested that either the Stage 1 or Stage 2+ would be appropriate. Something about the Stage 2 materials not being as friendly with a street driven car. Meant for higher heat/hard use or they do strange things...

I don't expect that a JMP VF40/52 is exceeding 300 wtq, but I suppose that depends on the tune. The Excedy OE clutch +lightweight flywheel that came the car were not slipping under hard use with my current setup, but it was certainly wearing out faster than it ought to have been.

• Thanks 1

Agh... You guys are killing me... I was under the impression that the stock 6MT clutch/gearbox was good to 450... Well I guess it also safes me from blowing cash and having to spend it again... Thank you 

My stock 08 SpecB 6mt clutch with less than 10k miles gave up the ghost with a 68Hta, 850cc and e-85 (21psi).  Never on the Mustang, but I estimate 325-350whp.  Trans intervals can take much more, but not the clutch.

Agree, do not put a stock clutch in with your mods. It will not last.

The Spec 2+ will work well and allow you to launch the car by pulling the e-brake and pre-loading the drivetrain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here