LegacyGT.com

Stop/Start Disable

Installed Autostop Eliminator and after a week it is performing as advertised.

Install location was unusual as it plugs into the eyesight system after removing the sunglasses holder/overhead console.

Now always off (disabled).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did this months ago and couldn't be happier. Start-stop in the Legacy is rough and jarring. Another "mod" I highly recommend is a piece of electric tape over the driver monitoring nanny Big Brother Eye - disables the darn thing after a minute. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, silverton said:

Jesus.  Wish I'd come up with a silly $100 device to sell to people. One day...

Obviously you see no value in this (in which case, why bother posting at all? Just move on) - Or...- do you have a better solution? $100 is well worth it to me for what this mod accomplishes. I paid more for ODB11 dongle to code this Start-stop off my Audi (which has a way smoother iteration of start-stop than the harsh/jerky Subaru's - still did not want / need it). Obviously, ODB11 can be used for much more, but you still have to pay for the credits to use it - but if it allows me a driving experience that I prefer, will gladly pay for them as well. Sure, I could keep manually turning it off the start-stop every time I start the car, just like I can turn off the DMS - having to toggle through menus. This is a set-and-forget solution that permanently disables the annoying start-stop - and one I can remove easily anytime I wish if I was to sell/trade/service the car and needed it stock. 

Edited by dohturdima

1 hour ago, dohturdima said:

Obviously you see no value in this (in which case, why bother posting at all? Just move on) - Or...- do you have a better solution? $100 is well worth it to me for what this mod accomplishes. I paid more for ODB11 dongle to code this Start-stop off my Audi (which has a way smoother iteration of start-stop than the harsh/jerky Subaru's - still did not want / need it). Obviously, ODB11 can be used for much more, but you still have to pay for the credits to use it - but if it allows me a driving experience that I prefer, will gladly pay for them as well. Sure, I could keep manually turning it off the start-stop every time I start the car, just like I can turn off the DMS - having to toggle through menus. This is a set-and-forget solution that permanently disables the annoying start-stop - and one I can remove easily anytime I wish if I was to sell/trade/service the car and needed it stock. 

I think you misunderstood him.

He meant "silly" as in simple device that solves a problem that people are willing to pay for; not "silly" as in you were silly to buy it.

I'd buy one too if I had a newer model with start/stop, but I also wished that I can come up with the solution that people would be willing to pay for to solve this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

I think you misunderstood him.

He meant "silly" as in simple device that solves a problem that people are willing to pay for; not "silly" as in you were silly to buy it.

I'd buy one too if I had a newer model with start/stop, but I also wished that I can come up with the solution that people would be willing to pay for to solve this.

I think I understood him just fine... and IMO what IS truly silly is manufacturers forcing unwanted / questionable "safety" electronic nanny and "environment-saving" start-stop features upon customers, who have to then resort to these workarounds just to get rid of them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What is disappointing is that every car I have owned with an ASS has always set the ASS to default to the last setting.  So if you shut it off, it stays off until you activate it again.  I am guessing Subaru will do this at some point in the future since very few people opt to use the ASS, myself included.  I do not mind turning the ASS off manually as I find  the cost of the wire harness, at $99 excessive, given that the manufacturing cost is probably around $5, if that.

• Like 1

I only have had two cars with ASS (Legacy XT '22 and Audi Q7 '18), both require it to be turned off manually with every start. Yeah, these are minor inconveniences - but now two minor inconveniences less :)

4 hours ago, dohturdima said:

I think I understood him just fine... and IMO what IS truly silly is manufacturers forcing unwanted / questionable "safety" electronic nanny and "environment-saving" start-stop features upon customers, who have to then resort to these workarounds just to get rid of them. 

Infosec nailed it, but if you want to double down, so will I.

I think it's silly you bought a car with a feature you don't want. Stick to the old stuff buddy.  I'd love for my 3.6 to have auto stop start. I understand that the savings are minimal, I just think it's neat.  The grass is always greener amiright?

I have been looking at the autostop eliminator, but don't like the idea of plugging something into the eyesight camera module...  also - while I try to remember to turn it off when I get going in the car, more often than not I make it all the way home without it ever triggering - you have to push the brake pedal down pretty far before the system kicks in (I tend to brake then as you are coming to a complete stop, lift up a little on the brake pedal so that you don't get the abrupt "hard stop" (not sure how to describe it - it's something I have always done when stopping so that it isn't jarring when the brakes finally grab at the end)

Edited by DrD123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, silverton said:

Infosec nailed it, but if you want to double down, so will I.

I think it's silly you bought a car with a feature you don't want. Stick to the old stuff buddy.  I'd love for my 3.6 to have auto stop start. I understand that the savings are minimal, I just think it's neat.  The grass is always greener amiright?

You know, opinions are like a$$holes - everyone's got one. Since you don't have a car with ASS - have you driven a recent Legacy with one? It is harsh and jerky, but if that floats your boat then enjoy. I would have skipped it if it could not be turned off, so natural kid that disabled it completely is great for me. I would have gladly paid more for a 6-speed vs CVT, an engine with slightly less turbo lag but it is what it is. Still love my ride. 

I have actually, and I don't find it to be that big of a deal. do other manufacturers do it better? sure... but subaru has never been one to pave the way so to say.  just a feature you adapt to, if you're the type of person that can, or you buy a $100 thingy.  probably akin to when abs was coming out as standard; i don't need no stinking module to work my brakes for me, i been doing it just fine for years!

I want to make something that probably costs dollars to produce and sell it to people like you. 🤣

4 hours ago, silverton said:

I have actually, and I don't find it to be that big of a deal. do other manufacturers do it better? sure... but subaru has never been one to pave the way so to say.  just a feature you adapt to, if you're the type of person that can, or you buy a $100 thingy.  probably akin to when abs was coming out as standard; i don't need no stinking module to work my brakes for me, i been doing it just fine for years!

I want to make something that probably costs dollars to produce and sell it to people like you. 🤣

The point seems lost on you, so you resort to absurd strawman argument about ABS. If ASS was such a similarly useful / popular feature, why does every major auto forum has a thread dedicated turning it off? Yep, you wish that you could have come up with bypass but you did not, whereas someone else did for multiple makes / models and is now raking in the $$$ from all of us rubes, who could have just pushed a button 😂

OP,

I am in a rental practically every week.  All the cars I rent have ASS.  I just turn it off. Yeah it goes back on when I park and shut the engine down for the day.  But I have found it an issue that takes 20 seconds to solve with the button in the car.  

This is across all multiple manufacturers including a seventh Gen XT I got as a rental for a week.  

I mean it could be worse.  Only option at the Airport this week for a rental where I was was a Minivan. So yeah I was stuck with a Town & Country with a lane keep assist I could not turn off so the thing kept pulling me.  

I do believe someone has a fix for this but you need to disable it from a stand alone console.  But not worth the time in my opinion.

4 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Idk, I respect silverton’s practicality and knowledge just about as much as anyone on this site. Good luck

No argument from me, I am relatively new on this forum- but no one is 100% right all the time 😀.

Silverton's point was that ASS eliminator is a worthless mod, given that we can turn it off with a touch of a button - that paying $100 for it is stupid, and he wishes that he had ASS in his car and operational. My point was that not having to remember to do it every single time I start the car was worth it to me, that I find ASS (not just in this car, but in any car I've ever driven thus far) an annoying and useless feature and there are plenty of others who share this opinion (which is why the sellers of Autostop eliminator have a number of cars listed, and would have folded shop a while ago if the demand wasn't there). My point is, not every new feature is necessarily going to be a winner: ABS was and still is, ASS is not - at least, not yet. The negative impact the ASS has on your starter, the timing chain, the fact that now we need to pay extra for an AGM battery does not seem to phase the manufactures fighting for every MPG (no matter how meager the savings) to demonstrate their committment to improving gas mileage. Ethanol in gasoline, recent push towards EVs that is now being scaled back - plenty of similar examples of "great" ideas that aren't ready for prime time.

The above is my opiniton, and it's OK to disagree and argue your point, but try to do so without ad hominem (calling another's choice "silly", telling them to stick to buying old tech, and posting that Youtube video certainly was).

Lastly, I'm aware that Subaru owes me nothing, just as any car manufacturer - and they can add, remove features or make them more nagging - without warning. When I test drove the Legacy, I noticed the intrusive and half-baked Driver Monitoring System - the Salesperson simply shrugged his shoulders and showed me how to turn it off, and "it will stay off it you want it to". Well, it did stay off - until I installed a software update, which caused DMS to turn on with every start, with me hunting though the menus to turn it off (along with ASS). Thankfully, a piece of electrical tape solved that problem. The ASS bypass solved another. 

• Confused 1

Dude.  All I did was call the device silly, the silliest part is that it's $100 for $5 worth of electronics.  You for some reason took that personally like you had a stake in its creation.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

• Like 1

What is really at issue here is the failure of Subaru to offer a soft wear update that allows one to change the default from "always on" at start-up to “last setting”.  There is no need to buy a non-EOM wiring harness to defeat the ASS.  It can be done with a simple soft wear update.

The issue with car companies is the ASS gives them a 3% - 5% bump in fleet emissions reduction which, in the competitive automotive world is significant. So, they stick us with a feature very few of us want, to keep their fleet emissions competitive.

My previous car, a BMW, defaulted the ASS to last setting automatically and I never had to bother with it.  Prior to that I had an Audi which like the Subaru, was always on at start-up, until I had someone with a Carly OBD device reprogram the ECU.  All of the German cars, or at least most of them, allow for after market OBD devices to reprogram the car’s electronics.  But you have to be very careful because once you tap into the car’s ECU anything can happen if you are not technically proficient.  I am not aware that there is a similar device for the Japanese cars.

4 hours ago, silverton said:

Dude.  All I did was call the device silly, the silliest part is that it's $100 for $5 worth of electronics.  You for some reason took that personally like you had a stake in its creation.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

Dude, you should know as well as anyone it's not the electronics but thought behind the bypass and the supply /demand. Some pay 1k for a set of chrome rims, others think it ridiculous waste of $. As for the rest, "an insult is only an insult if accepted". 

3 hours ago, fourD2 said:

What is really at issue here is the failure of Subaru to offer a soft wear update that allows one to change the default from "always on" at start-up to “last setting”.  There is no need to buy a non-EOM wiring harness to defeat the ASS.  It can be done with a simple soft wear update.

The issue with car companies is the ASS gives them a 3% - 5% bump in fleet emissions reduction which, in the competitive automotive world is significant. So, they stick us with a feature very few of us want, to keep their fleet emissions competitive.

My previous car, a BMW, defaulted the ASS to last setting automatically and I never had to bother with it.  Prior to that I had an Audi which like the Subaru, was always on at start-up, until I had someone with a Carly OBD device reprogram the ECU.  All of the German cars, or at least most of them, allow for after market OBD devices to reprogram the car’s electronics.  But you have to be very careful because once you tap into the car’s ECU anything can happen if you are not technically proficient.  I am not aware that there is a similar device for the Japanese cars.

Could not agree more. The problem is, manufacturers are deliberately taking these choices away. I can still code using OBD11 in my '18 Audi Q7, but as of '23 the coding is no longer possible. 

On 3/17/2024 at 11:30 AM, fourD2 said:

Great point.

It is part of the cafe standards.  I mean yeah quite a few engines say use 0W 20.  Will anything really happen if you put in 5W20 no.  But its all about Cafe standards so the manufacturer can say we can get 30 MPG instead of 28.  And great point on the ECU.  With the majority of the 7th Gens still under warranty this would be an instant denial in any claim.

In all likelihood, there is probably a way to disable the ASS in a manner similar to disabling the seat belt chimes (for newbies – you put the car in accessory mode and buckle and unbuckle the seatbelt 20 times within a 30 second period and they are gone for good), we just do not know the process.  My thought is someone will come up with a solution without having to shell out a hundred bucks for $5 worth of bypass wiring.  I am hopeful.

i installed the autostop eliminator on my wife's telluride to give the button memory...on the telluride others have disabled it by pushing the button down and jamming something along the edge of the button to keep it depressed so it stays off...could try something similar i would imagine...just hold the button down shut the car off and turn it back on and see if it stays disabled...i chose the plug & play route cause i didn't want the hassle should it need warranty work