LegacyGT.com

Stop/Start Disable

1 hour ago, Point37 said:

i installed the autostop eliminator on my wife's telluride to give the button memory...on the telluride others have disabled it by pushing the button down and jamming something along the edge of the button to keep it depressed so it stays off...could try something similar i would imagine...just hold the button down shut the car off and turn it back on and see if it stays disabled...i chose the plug & play route cause i didn't want the hassle should it need warranty work

I would take that device off that Kia ASAP.  With the issues I am seeing with the engines on the Tellurides and The Palisades now popping up Kia will blame you if they find it and decline any warranty claim.  Had to go through the Kia Oil Burning rod bearing issue myself on my daughters car.  Kia gave us every excuse in the book to not fix even though it has the KSDS update and regular oil changes with factory filter.  In the end they declined the warranty due to me not putting down an oil change I did myself.  Thankfully I was able to get 5k out of the thing and got her a used Lexus at the same dealership.

And yes the rod bearing issue is on the 2.0's, 2.4's, and even the new 3.8's now.  

But back to topic.  Take it off or they will decline anything for a warranty thats big.  Kia really does not care at all.

2 hours ago, Point37 said:

i installed the autostop eliminator on my wife's telluride to give the button memory...on the telluride others have disabled it by pushing the button down and jamming something along the edge of the button to keep it depressed so it stays off...could try something similar i would imagine...just hold the button down shut the car off and turn it back on and see if it stays disabled...i chose the plug & play route cause i didn't want the hassle should it need warranty work

How hard is it to get to the connector on the back of the button?  You could probably just run a jumper across the right pins and accomplish the same thing without wedging something in place...

2 hours ago, MoleMan said:

I would take that device off that Kia ASAP.  With the issues I am seeing with the engines on the Tellurides and The Palisades now popping up Kia will blame you if they find it and decline any warranty claim.  Had to go through the Kia Oil Burning rod bearing issue myself on my daughters car.  Kia gave us every excuse in the book to not fix even though it has the KSDS update and regular oil changes with factory filter.  In the end they declined the warranty due to me not putting down an oil change I did myself.  Thankfully I was able to get 5k out of the thing and got her a used Lexus at the same dealership.

And yes the rod bearing issue is on the 2.0's, 2.4's, and even the new 3.8's now.  

But back to topic.  Take it off or they will decline anything for a warranty thats big.  Kia really does not care at all.

not taking it off...takes 5 minutes to install and 5 minutes to remove...will remove if i have to take it in...i do all my own oil changes...and i do know what you mean, kia sucks...i am 100% sure this will be our last kia...i'm not dealing with the bullsh!t they pull just to get warranty work done...i have my own first experience where they wanted to charge me $130 "modification fee" for a fumoto valve when i asked them to replace the oil filter housing under warranty cause it was leaking...they couldn't locate the leak and did nothing but they still wanted to charge me the modification fee....didn't pay it...so i decided to pay for the part myself and install it myself vs have to go through the process of removing the fumoto and wasting oil or trying to find a dealer that is farther from home and isn't going to penalize me for having something on my car that makes my life easier and clearly isn't the cause the leak since it's totally dry inside the valve port but everything else around it is drenched in oil...so on top of the autostop eliminator i would have to remove the fumoto as well if i actually bring it in to kia which i hope to never do again but judging by their reputation i'm guessing i will have to

1 hour ago, DrD123 said:

How hard is it to get to the connector on the back of the button?  You could probably just run a jumper across the right pins and accomplish the same thing without wedging something in place...

very easy actually...i have seen people install a jumper too but i didn't want to have to go back in there if it came loose...this is a much more solid install

Edited by Point37

On 3/15/2024 at 10:50 AM, dohturdima said:

I think I understood him just fine... and IMO what IS truly silly is manufacturers forcing unwanted / questionable "safety" electronic nanny and "environment-saving" start-stop features upon customers, who have to then resort to these workarounds just to get rid of them. 

No, you misunderstood him. All I'm gonna say. 

On 3/16/2024 at 3:46 PM, dohturdima said:

The point seems lost on you, so you resort to absurd strawman argument about ABS. If ASS was such a similarly useful / popular feature, why does every major auto forum has a thread dedicated turning it off? Yep, you wish that you could have come up with bypass but you did not, whereas someone else did for multiple makes / models and is now raking in the $$$ from all of us rubes, who could have just pushed a button 😂

Lighten up. Don't take life so seriously.

On 3/15/2024 at 6:45 PM, dohturdima said:

You know, opinions are like a$$holes - everyone's got one. Since you don't have a car with ASS - have you driven a recent Legacy with one? It is harsh and jerky, but if that floats your boat then enjoy. I would have skipped it if it could not be turned off, so natural kid that disabled it completely is great for me. I would have gladly paid more for a 6-speed vs CVT, an engine with slightly less turbo lag but it is what it is. Still love my ride. 

Without trying to be too critical, your implication is somewhat "unwelcome" here.

@Dantvballcoach - Thank you for your input, and since you haven't added much on topic here - consider taking your own advice and "lighten up".

Edited by dohturdima
font size

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 11:59 AM, Point37 said:

not taking it off...takes 5 minutes to install and 5 minutes to remove...will remove if i have to take it in...i do all my own oil changes...and i do know what you mean, kia sucks...i am 100% sure this will be our last kia...i'm not dealing with the bullsh!t they pull just to get warranty work done...i have my own first experience where they wanted to charge me $130 "modification fee" for a fumoto valve when i asked them to replace the oil filter housing under warranty cause it was leaking...they couldn't locate the leak and did nothing but they still wanted to charge me the modification fee....didn't pay it...so i decided to pay for the part myself and install it myself vs have to go through the process of removing the fumoto and wasting oil or trying to find a dealer that is farther from home and isn't going to penalize me for having something on my car that makes my life easier and clearly isn't the cause the leak since it's totally dry inside the valve port but everything else around it is drenched in oil...so on top of the autostop eliminator i would have to remove the fumoto as well if i actually bring it in to kia which i hope to never do again but judging by their reputation i'm guessing i will have to

very easy actually...i have seen people install a jumper too but i didn't want to have to go back in there if it came loose...this is a much more solid install

You need to take it it!  Been a week since my post been traveling sorry for delay.  But yeah your Kia has a parking brake update that was all over the news that needs to be updated.

Just saying.  I took a chance on a Kia. Lasted two months before I got rid of the POS.  And it was a new Soul.  Thing drank oil at the rate of a quart every 200 miles.  Dealer was no help. Kia customer service is just as bad.  Probably could have got lemoned but thankfully the dealer I traded it into gave me 2k less then I bought it for.  I was glad to just get rid of it.  

Kia/Hyundai is really good with sales as they get you with all the fancy tech that a similar priced competitor would not have.  Where they fail is the engines.  Let's be real.  Go count the number of Fourth or Fifth gen Outbacks or Legacys while out one day.  Then see how many Ten to 15 year old Kias or Hyundai's you see.   They are also really funny. I have a co worker that beats the shit out of his 15 Elantra flooring it everywhere and the thing never has had an issue.

As far as the Fumoto. I had the product on several of my cars. Thought it would be easier changing oil. 

What I learned is it's really not.  I could never get as much oil out of the pan as I could with a normal oil plug.  So I just went back to the plug and washer.  Great idea.  But in the end I did it for accuracy. Nothing wrong with the product itself.  Only gripe I could not pick about is the material the Gasket is made out of. To me it should have been metal.  But that's griping.

Good luck.

Edited by MoleMan
Wording.

16 hours ago, MoleMan said:

You need to take it it!  Been a week since my post been traveling sorry for delay.  But yeah your Kia has a parking brake update that was all over the news that needs to be updated.

Just saying.  I took a chance on a Kia. Lasted two months before I got rid of the POS.  And it was a new Soul.  Thing drank oil at the rate of a quart every 200 miles.  Dealer was no help. Kia customer service is just as bad.  Probably could have got lemoned but thankfully the dealer I traded it into gave me 2k less then I bought it for.  I was glad to just get rid of it.  

Kia/Hyundai is really good with sales as they get you with all the fancy tech that a similar priced competitor would not have.  Where they fail is the engines.  Let's be real.  Go count the number of Fourth or Fifth gen Outbacks or Legacys while out one day.  Then see how many Ten to 15 year old Kias or Hyundai's you see.   They are also really funny. I have a co worker that beats the shit out of his 15 Elantra flooring it everywhere and the thing never has had an issue.

As far as the Fumoto. I had the product on several of my cars. Thought it would be easier changing oil. 

What I learned is it's really not.  I could never get as much oil out of the pan as I could with a normal oil plug.  So I just went back to the plug and washer.  Great idea.  But in the end I did it for accuracy. Nothing wrong with the product itself.  Only gripe I could not pick about is the material the Gasket is made out of. To me it should have been metal.  But that's griping.

Good luck.

i am aware of the recall but dealers won't even be notified till May so it won't be able to happen yet anyway...plus they estimate 1% of 427,407 vehicles have the defect...just engage the parking brake till then and bring it to a less slimey dealer...kia was not my choice but it's also not my daily driver...i would have went with toyota, honda, mazda and maybe subaru (if i felt like i wouldn't end up consuming oil again)...i don't trust the kia to go into high mileage but i guess we are going to find out...and if it doesn't get to 200k miles it will be the last kia we buy...i have a fumoto on the kia and on the subaru...has never leaked on either vehicle so i'm not too concerned with the gasket material...oil goes right back into the jug it came from...clean oil changes for the subaru...kia is messier because of the stupid oil filter housing...not sure how much the threads of the fumoto extend into the pan as i've never bothered to pull it back out to measure or to see if any additional oil comes out upon removal...i would also consider using valvomax https://www.valvomax.com/collections/all-products but i don't like how you need to use an additional fitting to open the valve

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V214-9846.PDF

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RMISC-24V214-6943.pdf

I would stick with the Fumoto.

With me never had an issue with the product as well and the gasket material is being nitpicky if I wanted to gripe.  The way I look at it yes it's cleaner.  But still gotta replace the oil filter.  But on the daily that had the Fumoto I did notice that 3.75 quarts came out with the filter not the four that normally came out.  I am the guy who lets the oil drain for a half hour to make sure every drop comes out and it's on ramps on an angle so it's easy to do that.   Great product just decided that for me the plug was a better way.

Depending on what engine the Fumoto makes things way easier especially if your filter is on top it's clean. With bottom mounted filters for me it's easier with the plug.  But once again great product.  

I am glad we share the same opinion with Kia.  At least yours drives without needing a quart of oil every 200 miles lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

I would stick with the Fumoto.

With me never had an issue with the product as well and the gasket material is being nitpicky if I wanted to gripe.  The way I look at it yes it's cleaner.  But still gotta replace the oil filter.  But on the daily that had the Fumoto I did notice that 3.75 quarts came out with the filter not the four that normally came out.  I am the guy who lets the oil drain for a half hour to make sure every drop comes out and it's on ramps on an angle so it's easy to do that.   Great product just decided that for me the plug was a better way.

Depending on what engine the Fumoto makes things way easier especially if your filter is on top it's clean. With bottom mounted filters for me it's easier with the plug.  But once again great product.  

I am glad we share the same opinion with Kia.  At least yours drives without needing a quart of oil every 200 miles lol.

on my subaru its clean with the inverted filter on top of the engine...on the kia i still have to make a mess pulling the cartridge filter out of this abomination of engineering (below)...it does have a lip that you can crack the cap and let it drain prior to pulling it off all the way...the kia is also consuming oil but at a lower rate which kia says is within its spec (1qt / 1k+ miles = normal)...this seems like BS to me...i have to keep an eye on it cause the low oil sensor does not come on until the engine is dry...have read this on their forums...the subaru low oil light comes on around 1qt low...the kia housing below started to leak at 41k miles recently...i replaced it myself cause they couldn't find the leak but also wanted to charge me $130 for a "modification fee" for the fumoto valve...i didn't pay it and replaced the part myself...wasn't sure if the housing was the issue or the double port gasket or there was a crack so i bought the whole housing...i knew the leak was coming from there cause it starts higher than the fumoto (which was dry inside the drain port) as well as higher than the garbage seal job on the oil pan...torque setting for the 4 bolts is 15 ft*lbs and the metal bolt sleeves don't allow it to be tightened any extra so when that double port rubber gasket compresses enough it leaks...planned failure...vs just using a can filter with a gasket that gets replaced each time...POS design

spacer.png

Edited by Point37

• 2 weeks later...

I have not yet driven a car with ASS. We pick up our 24' Outback XT the end of the month.

But I have noticed a change in how long the traffic light's now day's here in CT. Seems like only one side goes at a time, instead of passing traffic going at the same time. As I sit there, just after getting there as the light turns red... and waiting all the time for three other traffic flows to get the green light, I can see where using less fuel and fewer emissions have a place in life now. 

But now that I have been retired for almost 4 years, I look at things different now, life has slowed down. Waste and hurting the environment has become a thing now. I'm typing this at 1PM on a beautiful day sitting on my deck in the sunshine.  Retirement is better than everyone say's it is, plan for it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

3 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

I have not yet driven a car with ASS. We pick up our 24' Outback XT the end of the month.

But I have noticed a change in how long the traffic light's now day's here in CT. Seems like only one side goes at a time, instead of passing traffic going at the same time. As I sit there, just after getting there as the light turns red... and waiting all the time for three other traffic flows to get the green light, I can see where using less fuel and fewer emissions have a place in life now. 

But now that I have been retired for almost 4 years, I look at things different now, life has slowed down. Waste and hurting the environment has become a thing now. I'm typing this at 1PM on a beautiful day sitting on my deck in the sunshine.  Retirement is better than everyone say's it is, plan for it.

Your point is well taken.  I rarely use ASS as I live in a small town where ASS is largely unnecessary.  However, last weekend I was in Chicago at the Axpona Audio show and did a fair amount of driving through the suburbs to and from the Renaissance Convention center.  At some of the stoplights, the waiting was time extensive as left turn traffic played out at every corner.  I can see how idling time at stoplights in the bigger cities can be significant.

Your comments on retirement and environmental concerns are likewise appreciated.  Let's leave something for our grandchildren to enjoy.