LegacyGT.com

Quiet 3" exhaust? Do they exist?

Ive been running a cheap, I think I got it for like 300 bucks, catback exhaust from Manzo and I put in a $20 resonator myself, sloppy job, clamps and leaks. So I want to get rid of it, not because it sounds bad, it sounds awesome and is quite quiet considering how poorly I installed it. The issue is the fitment, its obvious quality control wasn't a priority and isn't aligned properly, its one of those things that you keep staring at cause it annoys you lol. 

I could just pay someone to make the aesthetic adjusts but at that point, why not just get a new one. 

Anyone make a 3" exhaust that is super low decibels? Sound is the number one reason for speeding tickets, its like "hey i'm coming down the road, get your radar gun ready" lol 

I think you've learned...nothing is cheap when it comes to what your asking for.

I would go to a few exhaust shops and see what they can do for you. 

Again, the stock mid-pipe and custom fit magna-flow knock off mufflers, from the Y joint back, from a small local shop was $500 back in 2013, that was still great when I sold the wagon a year ago.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I ran 3” Perrin mid/Y to stock muffs for many years and that was really civil, maybe too civil for most people. Switched to that set up with ProDrives muffs and while it’s definitely louder, everyone at the track always comments that “your wagon is so quiet” 😬

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

I think you've learned...nothing is cheap when it comes to what your asking for.

I would go to a few exhaust shops and see what they can do for you. 

Again, the stock mid-pipe and custom fit magna-flow knock off mufflers, from the Y joint back, from a small local shop was $500 back in 2013, that was still great when I sold the wagon a year ago.

If its quiet and fits right I am willing to pay versus the amount of paying someone to just fix what I currently have. If I have to pay 500 bucks to fix it, I would rather pay 1000 for a new exhaust. And tbh, here in my area, there aren't many custom shops if any near me. its more so just change the part, custom is far and few around here. 

That $1000 + amount is what your heading for. maybe ask google for exhaust shops near you.

There's at least three exhaust shops plus older car repair shops near me.

I still have the 3" open mid-pipe from the ProLab Tuning $300 exhaust in the garage. It also didn't fit well, I used screw type clamps on the exhaust hangers to pull the tips more centered. Those mufflers were loud.

Even the Q300 exhaust on the Spec B got too loud over time. 

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Google is a liar, everyone is a liar. People say they do exhaust work, and when you get there its Mavis Discount service. Trust me I have searched google, and google doesn't tell you if the shop uses a welder, just says "exhaust repair" meaning they cut ur old junk out and put in new bolt on stuff. 

25 minutes ago, shralp said:

I ran 3” Perrin mid/Y to stock muffs for many years and that was really civil, maybe too civil for most people. Switched to that set up with ProDrives muffs and while it’s definitely louder, everyone at the track always comments that “your wagon is so quiet” 😬

Can't seem to find the perrin mid and y pipe but I did find one by nameless.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com/2005-2009-legacy-gt-midpipe/

Is this similar to the Perrin? Why did you go to the aftermarket mufflers over the stock? Does the bigger muffler pipes do anything performance wise? 

Check Fujitsubo.  I have the nameless 3" mid and y with Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers.  They fit a little odd in the rear bumper cutouts (makes the rear look cross-eyed) but they're quiet under most normal driving.

I have a couple sound clip vids in that thread.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tehnation said:

Can't seem to find the perrin mid and y pipe but I did find one by nameless.

https://shop.namelessperformance.com/2005-2009-legacy-gt-midpipe/

Is this similar to the Perrin? Why did you go to the aftermarket mufflers over the stock? Does the bigger muffler pipes do anything performance wise? 

The Perrin mid/Y hasn't been around for years, I put mine on in 2008.  The main reason at the time was less restriction but civil as a daily driver that I was starting to take the the track as well.  Once the car started leaning way more towards track in about 2015, I swapped out the OEM muffs for the Prodrive ones.  At the time Cobb Surgeline mentioned that having 3" to stock muffs was fairly inconsequential power wise given I was just at Stg. 2 power levels (VF-52).  Maybe leaving a HP or two on the table.  

A recent mishap at the track has rendered my 15 yr old Perrin set up DOA so I just purchased the Nameless mid/Y from a forum member and will be hooking that up to the Prodrives.  Can let you know what changes it makes in the exhaust note, if any. 

• Like 2

Shameless plug: seeing as you're here in NY, if you see something you like on Yahoo! Auctions I can ship a midpipe+mufflers for about $350 from Japan. Here is an HKS Super Turbo catback penny auction that has the Helmholtz Resonator I and @Infosecdad will soon have. I expect my next container to arrive April/May '24, though.

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Read the muFreight.com link and used google chrome translate feature, works really well actually. For anyone else looking, 1000 yen is like $6.70, so $100 bucks is like 15,000 yen, to put in better perspective. 

Where is the pickup location in NYC? 41-25 Kissena Blvd., Suite 120, Flushing, NY 11355?

The HKS is what 2.5" it looks like. But this is a good resource to have, lots more aftermarket options in Japan vs the USA. 

• Like 1

Enlight offers a nice service. However, depending on how you want to do things - you can go custom like I did.

I'm running an Invidia catless downpipe that has a GESi G-Sport cat welded in but the catback itself is a custom setup with two 2.5in Varex mufflers (VMK10-250). This way I can have a quiet exhaust and go reasonably loud if need be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shralp said:

The Perrin mid/Y hasn't been around for years, I put mine on in 2008.  The main reason at the time was less restriction but civil as a daily driver that I was starting to take the the track as well.  Once the car started leaning way more towards track in about 2015, I swapped out the OEM muffs for the Prodrive ones.  At the time Cobb Surgeline mentioned that having 3" to stock muffs was fairly inconsequential power wise given I was just at Stg. 2 power levels (VF-52).  Maybe leaving a HP or two on the table.  

A recent mishap at the track has rendered my 15 yr old Perrin set up DOA so I just purchased the Nameless mid/Y from a forum member and will be hooking that up to the Prodrives.  Can let you know what changes it makes in the exhaust note, if any. 

How did the setup work for oem mufflers and 3" mid/Y pipes? Are the flanges the same size even though the pipe diameters are different? 

Yup! That's my office and my warehouse (read: storage room) is in the same building. I can probably deliver it to you myself on a weekend drive. I can measure my midpipe to confirm but I think you might be correct about the diameter. The USD-JPY conversion is very nice right now. In either case I'm just broadening up the options, looking forward to your results whichever direction you choose!

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Have you considered looking for an spt and have the upstream flange changed to 3”?  Nice and quiet along with factory fit.  I run one with a cobb catted dp and holy headers.  The car sounds great and it’s quiet when i want to be. 

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

11 hours ago, Tehnation said:

How did the setup work for oem mufflers and 3" mid/Y pipes? Are the flanges the same size even though the pipe diameters are different? 

Yup flanges mate up but it just necks down to 2.5 for the OEM muffs

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Code said:

Have you considered looking for an spt and have the upstream flange changed to 3”?  Nice and quiet along with factory fit.  I run one with a cobb catted dp and holy headers.  The car sounds great and it’s quiet when i want to be. 

spt?

24 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

spt?

Subaru Performance Tuning (SPT), it was an OEM option that is pretty quiet; I don't think they still make them.  You would need to find a used catback.

Depends on how you define "quiet".

The STI Genome is pretty "quiet" compared to most of the HKS options, and definitely quieter than Inivida or Nameless

• Thanks 1

One thing to keep an eye on is that the mid-pipe might go to 3", but after the Y for the mufflers it's usually a pair of 2.25" or 2.5" pipes.

Just depends on where the measurement is.

You're right on the BORLA, it's 2.5" down to a pair of 2"

I've been happy with Megan OE-RS. From my searching of the net it is the quietest aftermarket exhaust for these cars. It's full 3" stainless steel from the down pipe back. I have an invidia catted dp. I needed to replace the rubber isolators when I installed. I think the system can be had for right around $1k