LegacyGT.com

Quiet 3" exhaust? Do they exist?

On 11/22/2023 at 2:38 PM, GearJamr said:

Check Fujitsubo.  I have the nameless 3" mid and y with Fujitsubo Wagolis mufflers.  They fit a little odd in the rear bumper cutouts (makes the rear look cross-eyed) but they're quiet under most normal driving.

I have a couple sound clip vids in that thread.

I have full nameless catback to a set of STI Fujitsubo legacy muffler and it is very quite doing 75mph. I can send you vids, but on the dyno and wide open they scream. it cost me about 1300 2 years or so ago.

3" to 2 x2.25" works cause the volume is increased going to two 2.25", so no flow restriction. 

The megan racing looks good, looks like its not made anymore. Would have to find new old stock. 

https://www.shutokoengineering.com/product-p/midpipe-slg05-mr-abe-slg05-v2.htm

Is this the one your talking about? Looks good, has a silencer as well.... hmmm I just gotta find someone who has it. 

I got the Quad tip version. This one appears to be in stock? https://prestigeautolab.com/products/megan-racing-stainless-quad-tips-oe-rs-exhaust-kit-for-subaru-legacy-gt-2005-2009?pr_prod_strat=use_description&pr_rec_id=8d7ae8462&pr_rec_pid=8333502546199&pr_ref_pid=8333502611735&pr_seq=uniform

Looks like there are two versions. The link you posted is single tip per side and seems to be a little closer to end of the bumper which I would prefer. Mine are recessed a couple inches. Not the end of the world. A JDM bumper would remedy that problem 😀 

20231125_102540.jpg

20231125_102609.jpg

Edited by Captain Redbeard
  • Like 1

https://prestigeautolab.com/products/megan-racing-v2-stainless-tips-oe-rs-exhaust-kit-for-subaru-legacy-gt-2005-2009?pr_prod_strat=use_description&pr_rec_id=05905362c&pr_rec_pid=8333502611735&pr_ref_pid=8333502546199&pr_seq=uniform

Now a days all these companies drop ship, and a lot of times they don't update their website. I will contact them to see if they have it physically in stock. I like this kit, good price, and ticks all my boxes, has resonator, single exhaust tips, full 3", and has a good price. 

I mean, hey, it's not 3" all the way through, but I love my Borla. On my wagon I did have to have Surgeline weld longer exhaust tips on it. They cut the tips off, welded some pipe on, then welded the Borla tips back on. Sounds the same, but way less boomyness in the cabin from the exhaust being fit for a sedan and not a station wagon. 

I really strongly recommend the Borla. It genuinely isn't loud. If you have the windows up, it doesn't even give you a ton of Subaru rumble which is a frequency range that is just quite loud. You have to seriously rev the car out to get my car to a point where it will do hearing damage to someone right behind it. You don't get maybe 5000 RPM in my car in this video before the mic dials the gain back a bit so it doesn't clip the audio.

Oh, and power? I made 322 WHP on this dyno when my 1050X injectors were installed to supplement the VF52 at 19 PSI. I'm sure it's not a huge restriction unless you have some STI location turbo and a FMIC and plan to make well beyond what I'd consider a daily drivable level of power. 

Edited by Pleides
  • Like 2

I'm at 360 whp, and just put in flex fuel kit to break 425 whp, and still plan to make more mods in the future, ie bigger turbo, much bigger turbo. So rather than doing things twice, I just want a full 3" system that can accommodate any mods in the future. 

It does sound nice and quiet but I just want to be future proof. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, Tehnation said:

I'm at 360 whp, and just put in flex fuel kit to break 425 whp, and still plan to make more mods in the future, ie bigger turbo, much bigger turbo. So rather than doing things twice, I just want a full 3" system that can accommodate any mods in the future. 

It does sound nice and quiet but I just want to be future proof. 

Which flex fuel kit?  The COBB?   I bought the COBB flex fuel kit.  When it was going to finally get installed they couldn't because GREENSPEED came out a month before.   Now its just sitting in a box after months of promises from COBB to support the LGT platform...

On 11/22/2023 at 7:23 PM, Enlight said:

Shameless plug: seeing as you're here in NY, if you see something you like on Yahoo! Auctions I can ship a midpipe+mufflers for about $350 from Japan. Here is an HKS Super Turbo catback penny auction that has the Helmholtz Resonator I and @Infosecdad will soon have. I expect my next container to arrive April/May '24, though.

How does it sound with the Helmholtz plumbed in?   You can import other things as well from Japan?  I'm also just a few miles away from you.