LegacyGT.com

My new toy has arrived! AEM Intake

Mblock66

Do you anticipate any problems with water?

I don't think there will be a problem with water, since the fender well area is covered. In order for it to hydrolock, the whole cone filter has to be submerged, and I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm lucky to not to have to worry about it too much. I live in sunny CA :icon_bigg ...

For those of you who missed the other thread, here are some pics of results of stage 2 before and after the AEM install with protune.

111310309_caidyno002.jpg.349bcdf02c63ebf7de57554453b5c64d.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not exactly true. The temperature of the air going into the motor reaches an asymptote, namely ambient temperature. The intercooler already gets the air pretty close to ambient when the car is moving. The good thing about a cold air intake is when the car is not moving or the intercooler is heat soaked. It also helps flow a little bit.

If you have an intercooler that can reduce the charge air back to ambient, then it is 100% efficient. The best you can get with an air to air cooler is about 15 - 20 Deg C above ambient. Water to air coolers are more efficient and can get lower temps.

Well, I ordered a AEM yesterday, and upon hearing it is quiet and has a very low filter location, I ordered a K&N Typhoon kit today.

So, I will have 2 intakes, and prob. will install the K&N, I'd be rich if my OCD didn't get in the way so much!:icon_bigg

OK as promised here are the pics. Sorry for poor quality but it is night out.

Thanks very much for posting the pics... the install looks awesome!! :icon_mrgr With the pics and the description of the sound and the dyno charts, I'm sold!

"I love the feel of wind in my face and boobies against my back." - BMW motorcycle rider

I would have been too untill I saw the test conditions in the chart below. THat is a big temp diference! Here that change in ambient I feel like I did a re-tune.

Still need to see that same test done with SIMILAR conditions between tests.

Don't get me wrong, I love the intake setup just not the result and as stated, a shop or someone with access to both intakes should do an objective dyno test. both done before testing and both afterwards with individual re-tune!

I see how clean my engine bay is and I see how dirty behind the bumper gets so I'm to guess that it will get dirty in a heartbeat.

If you have an intercooler that can reduce the charge air back to ambient, then it is 100% efficient. The best you can get with an air to air cooler is about 15 - 20 Deg C above ambient. Water to air coolers are more efficient and can get lower temps.

I only said that ambient was the asymptote, meaning the temperature never reaches it, but approaches it.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I would have been too untill I saw the test conditions in the chart below. THat is a big temp diference! Here that change in ambient I feel like I did a re-tune.

Still need to see that same test done with SIMILAR conditions between tests.

Don't get me wrong, I love the intake setup just not the result and as stated, a shop or someone with access to both intakes should do an objective dyno test. both done before testing and both afterwards with individual re-tune!

I see how clean my engine bay is and I see how dirty behind the bumper gets so I'm to guess that it will get dirty in a heartbeat.

Am I not readind the dyno right? Looks like a good drop in ambient and a great HP/TQ increase. Red is with the stock airbox and blue is with the AEM...

Yes, but such gains can be had with drops in temps. Try running my car here and take it to NY and run it there. It will be faster as the weather gets colder.

So, gains could not be as big as the chart says if the weather wes the same

Edmund,

I am usually always around the basking ridge area and could meet up anytime really. It would be tough for me to get up to wayne with getting back to work and all tomorrow. But believe me unless she is REALLY picky this would pass the wife test.

My GF didn't even hear it

• 2 weeks later...
Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd add to this one. I installed my AEM intake on my Legacy yesterday, it's stock except for a custom cat back, resonator-less with 2.5" y'ing to 2.25" and DNX mufflers, fyi. Well, anyways. I do think it sounds nice, not over bearing, with the radio on, can't hardly hear it, unless you are really getting on it. As far as performance, I'd say I gained a little, and I mean a little. Maybe a little throttle response, and some gain at higher rpms', but not a ton. I never did the intake silencer-removal mod like some guys, so I did notice quite a bit of noise increase. Just thought this would help. I also have a K&N coming next week, so I'll give that a try, and sell which ever one I don't like. I wish I had more to say about it, it looks good, and sounds good. Just my $.02

I don't think there will be a problem with water, since the fender well area is covered. In order for it to hydrolock, the whole cone filter has to be submerged, and I don't think that's going to happen.

I'm lucky to not to have to worry about it too much. I live in sunny CA :icon_bigg ...

For those of you who missed the other thread, here are some pics of results of stage 2 before and after the AEM install with protune.

i hope your not serious, lookslike the filter is low enough to suck in water, the whole filter does not need to submerged for you to suck up water...

i have know a lot of people in socal, thinking they are not going to suck anything up, because is doesnt rain a lot in socal, and needed a new engine after the rainy season.

get a bypass filter, and have piece of mind

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Yeah, it is a concern of mine also, the filter is pretty far down into the fender.

But, I've never had a problem with my open element on my Airaid, just for a comparison, maybe cars are different though:

http://tinypic.com/ka1sgo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
It isn't loud at all. I took mine off until my tune though

It is way way quieter then all the short rams

So, pass the wife test?

Cruising on the highway w/o radio do you notice it?

Where did you get yours from again?

I wonder if it is similiar to AVOs CAI?

Archived