LegacyGT.com

My new toy has arrived! AEM Intake

Mblock66

Well it came in the mail today and it looks like a really nice piece of equipment. I asked for red but I guess Chrome is all they have right now.

Anyway I am off to get protuned tomorrow so we will see what this sucker has in it. As a full Cold Air Intake setup it should be a bit more productive then a short ram and it should be a tad bit quieter too. Also the AEM setup has an oil free filter setup!!! So I need not worry about that like some of the K&N guys are. (Not that I think the oil is even a problem)

Can't wait till 1pm tomorrow!!!

http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/Mblock66/Intake1.JPG

http://my.prostreetonline.com/album/Mblock66/Intake2.JPG

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the puddle thing is a total rumor fear. I had an AEM on my Acura CL and it went FAR down the fender and i drove through many puddles and it was NEVER an issue. Hydrolock won't happen. You need to completely submerdge the entire filter for that to happen.

That would be like driving into the ocean with this unit haha.

the CAI effect will not be as great on a turbo car that is for sure, but I would still rather grab cool air and reduce the scream of it by it not being a short ram. THose are LOUD.

Oh and it also only cost $180 shipped so why not get a CAI over a short ram for 75% of the cost! :)

Post the results..I am interested in seeing improvements in HP/TQ

Unfortunatly I won't have numbers since I won't be on the dyno tomorrow. I am only getting street pro tuned tomorrow and then going back to the dyno for some tweaks in about a month.

i dont understand the cai on the turbo car thing....isnt that what the IC is for?

but at least you got some sweetz stickerz

Yes, but if you can reduce the air temp into the turbo, the air temp out of the cooler will be even lower.

Don't forget to fit the plate holder and the stickers, that's where the real power gains are.

That's funny i came from an acura cl as well. i had 3" ground clearance and an aem cai although i switched to the v2 and one thing i learned is i prefer a short ram on a i4 anyday. dont know about an h4 turbo though. the short ram was so much better for daily driving low-mid power and sounded nicer. deeper growl. mblock i'm goign to have to see your car. my cousins live in white house.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Didn't AEM invent/engineer a piece that made water ingestion less likely? Is that included with your kit, Mblock?

Yes, they call it the CAI Bypass Valve. I had it on my '95 SE-R and it was a total POS. Lasted about a month before it broke in half. It was so poorly designed that when you punch the gas, air started coming in through the flaps on the valve.

I also do think that hydrolocking your engine with a CAI is highly unlikely.

i had a 95 accord that was lowered 2.25" in front and 2.5" in rear and it ingested water.

o the price we pay for that "slammed" look:lol:

thats why im springing for coilovers for my LGT (hopefully Zeals :icon_bigg )

hydrolocked my last car with an aem cai in a puddle. i wouldn't say it was really deep, but it wasn't shallow either, maybe 5 inches. ran through it on a rainy night and could even tell there was a puddle there...oooops. a buddy of mine did the same thing in his civic hatch with gsr motor, the puddle he hit was only about 3 inches deep at most, but he hit it high in the rev range, and destroyed 2 of his connecting rods and pistons.

Matt...try to install it just before the tune otherwise your car WILL def. be running lean.

I installed my Perrin Big MAF the day before my Protune, car would barely idle. Threw non stop cels for running lean. Get to your appointment about a half hour early & install it there;)

I say it's good for @ least 10hp with the Tune;)

Did you get that Top mount yet?

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Matt...try to install it just before the tune otherwise your car WILL def. be running lean.

I installed my Perrin Big MAF the day before my Protune, car would barely idle. Threw non stop cels for running lean. Get to your appointment about a half hour early & install it there;)

I say it's good for @ least 10hp with the Tune;)

Did you get that Top mount yet?

Do you have any dynos of before and after the tune with CAI?

Many of us would like to know some numbers.

For those of you claiming he might have problems with water, I think this CAI takes in air from around the same area as the stock system. It just blocks off an area under the hood to keep temps down. I am fairly sure it does not go down in the fender.

Archived