LegacyGT.com

New to the site and new owner of a 42k mile 05 Outback XT MT

Hey All. I am new to the community. I bought a 2005 Outback XT when they first came out way back in the day and recently got back in the game. I sold it years ago, but just acquired another 2005 Outback XT Limited with a 5MT. Black with tan interior and a whopping 42k miles! Bought it from original owner. Bone stock, Immaculate in and out and just took to local shop for a state of the union to what needs to be done next. Looking forward to being part of the community.

• Like 2

Hey! Welcome. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot less traffic here these days.

Sounds like you hit the jackpot with the car.

Although your low mileage you should consider changing the timing belt pullies, tensioner and water pump.

Mainly due to the age of your belt and the other items are good measure since your in there.

Likely this unit hasn't had the banjo bolt filters removed so back track and read up on those. There are two in the system.

Cheers and nice to see there are gems still out there. 

Welcome, and nice score on that!

I thought I’d found a low mile example at ~90k miles a few years ago. Jealous. Enjoy one of the last and best turbo wagons made that aren’t full of cameras, touch screens and that you can still modify if you wish. :)

Definitely less action here, but people still check in, and there is lots of expertise left going around.

Also, there *may* be 4 filters if you count the OCVs, but you’d have figured that out if it’s something you want to take on. Plenty of other ‘reliability’ things lots of people do, but you may well be familiar already.

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the suggestions. It is currently at the local Subaru shop getting a new timing belt, pulleys, water pump ,etc.  Will also change the plugs, brakes and repair a blown right rear suspension.  I Knew there would be the usual issues for a 18+ year old car so all good.  Since it is all stock I think I may just keep it that way at least for a while.  Can always make changes but harder to go the other way sometimes.  Ill check on the banjos.  Cheers

Edited by subietuesday
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

:) The one item I will suggest regardless is get some new anti sway bars on this unit. The stock one's are anemic at best. The Whiteline set placed on mine at stock height transformed the car. Also there are some braces out there from AVO (possibly others) to help stiffen the rear mount points to the body mount point.

It can still be "stock". ;)

• Like 1

Thanks!  I appreciate the suggestion.  The car should be out of the shop in the next few days.  Lots of things new/replaced including timing belt, rear shocks, front and rear brakes, spark plugs, wheel bearings, rear diff reseal, etc.  all just standard maintenance items (a car with only 42k miles is still 18 years old it turns out).

• Like 2

On 10/9/2023 at 3:39 PM, kzr750r1 said:

:) The one item I will suggest regardless is get some new anti sway bars on this unit. The stock one's are anemic at best. The Whiteline set placed on mine at stock height transformed the car. Also there are some braces out there from AVO (possibly others) to help stiffen the rear mount points to the body mount point.

It can still be "stock". ;)

Biiiiig old +1 to this. Easy and relatively inexpensive swap. I did plenty lots to my LGT, and some other suspension tweaks, but nothing transformed the car like the sway bars + the best set of tires that made sense for me given my use case.... You can do solid endlinks, or not. Easy to let that stuff get carried away, but yeah, sway bars.

• Like 1