LegacyGT.com

Stock turbo/aftermarket blanket

So, after installing the PTP turbo blanket, and snugging the stock heat shield over it(which there is absolutely no room between the two, I think I might want a heat shield that fits a bit more loosely. 

I'm kinda not super comfortable having that heat mass stuck right in there. I need a bit of airflow, between the two and my worries might have been justified as I just blew a water hose going from the expansion tank to the turbo. Now I know that's probably pretty common, but at this point I'd feel better with a loosely fitting heat shield or even removing the heat shield altogether. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone recommends a certain type of heat shield? Like the SPT, Grimmspeed or whatever. Or has run into a similar problem and found a solution? Thanks!

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT

If it makes you feel more comfortable having an airgap between the two, then use any of the above aftermarket heat sheilds. Whichever you can find on sale or used for a good price.

I very much doubt the heater hose blowoff is related, since the whole point of putting a blanket on the turbo is to keep the heat mass in the exhaust side of the turbo. Lots of folks running them with or without heat sheilds. My whole "system" is wrapped in either DEI Titanium (up pipe) or blankets (turbo and downpipe). Keeps the engine bay nice and cool, and once everything is warmed up, that little VF40 spools fast. 

At that point, the heat sheild is nearly unecassary, but it's still a bonus to keep thing (power steering hoses?!) from getting too close or rubbing on the turbo + blanket. End of the day, they're cheap, and someone would probably like that heat sheild to stay stock...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

So, after installing the PTP turbo blanket, and snugging the stock heat shield over it(which there is absolutely no room between the two, I think I might want a heat shield that fits a bit more loosely. 

I'm kinda not super comfortable having that heat mass stuck right in there. I need a bit of airflow, between the two and my worries might have been justified as I just blew a water hose going from the expansion tank to the turbo. Now I know that's probably pretty common, but at this point I'd feel better with a loosely fitting heat shield or even removing the heat shield altogether. Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone recommends a certain type of heat shield? Like the SPT, Grimmspeed or whatever. Or has run into a similar problem and found a solution? Thanks!

I actually use all three.

I have a turbo blanket under the stock headshield, under an SPT head shield.  

Been working great for 65k miles so far.

As KZJonny said, I don't think the two events are related.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the SPT shield and put it on. So far so good. Although, it’s being held on by one bolt. The bolt closest to the TMIC. The only other bolt it could secure to is the bolt closest to the passenger fender. And unfortunately that hole has a cracked off bolt inside it from the P.O. I also have been noticing a rattle which I assume is coming from that side.

Now, my question is: How would I extract that broken off bolt? 

It doesn’t look like there’s any room to get in there. Do I have to drop the downpipe? Take it off, drill it out, etc? I guess I’m not sure if it’s a hard job or not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

I've used the gold foil for many years. Even have some on the hot side of the tmic.

DSCN8158.JPG

DSCN8344.JPG

So what am I looking at? The Downpipe? Sorry, I don't have any diagrams handy. 

Also, what foil is that? Sorry, just a little confused here...

that's the gold heat reflecting foil on the inside of the OEM heat shield. You can also so the gold foil/tape on the underside of the tmic.  On the Spec's DP I have a clamp on metal heat shield, down at the cat. I can post a photo of it later when I'm on the PC.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=11221&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1838-001&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoK2mBhDzARIsADGbjeqKbMTWLGeiPaOF9wkNbMho2XPahDk8iWvCpVbjWUKBVlr-lyAVMXQaAklCEALw_wcB

DSCN9753.JPG

DSCN9751.JPG

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

12 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

that's the gold heat reflecting foil on the inside of the OEM heat shield. You can also so the gold foil/tape on the underside of the tmic.  On the Spec's DP I have a clamp on metal heat shield. I can post a photo of it later when I'm on the PC.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=11221&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=1838-001&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoK2mBhDzARIsADGbjeqKbMTWLGeiPaOF9wkNbMho2XPahDk8iWvCpVbjWUKBVlr-lyAVMXQaAklCEALw_wcB

Nice! I'll grab some of that when I dive into the bolt extraction process, and gold tape everything. Any advice on broken bolt extraction? Or is it just a matter of taking things off and doing it on a bench. I was hoping someone else ran into that same problem, and might have an answer. It looks like a right angle drill attachment might work? But seems like a long shot. Oh well... 

The turbo res coolant hose loves to grow a big zit and pop.  Nothing new.  I replaced that coolant hose with every engine build. 

Dont overthink it.  I ran poop loads of cars with PTP blanket,/OEM heatshield/aftermarket heatshield.  Even my own.  But if it makes you feel better, do whatever. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Max Capacity said:

that's the gold heat reflecting foil on the inside of the OEM heat shield. You can also so the gold foil/tape on the underside of the tmic.  On the Spec's DP I have a clamp on metal heat shield, down at the cat. I can post a photo of it later when I'm on the PC.

DSCN9753.JPG

DSCN9751.JPG

Great idea! I’m going to order some. How much do I need? 1 foot? 2 feet?

Also, it says the tape requires an air gap of 1mm to the heat source. I definitely know there isn’t that much of an air gap between the blanket and stock heat shield. But there is an air gap between the stock shield and SPT shield… thoughts?

I'd say 1sqft should be fine. The tape is made to be used by itself. So maybe just put it where you have space.  It also may be overkill...I just ran the gold tape inside the OEM shield.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

7 hours ago, Jolbaru_LGT said:

Great idea! I’m going to order some. How much do I need? 1 foot? 2 feet?

Also, it says the tape requires an air gap of 1mm to the heat source. I definitely know there isn’t that much of an air gap between the blanket and stock heat shield. But there is an air gap between the stock shield and SPT shield… thoughts?

Honestly, and with respect…. If you’ve done a blanket and 2 sheilds… stop spending your money. You’re good.

Unless you are flogging the living crap out of the car/engine/turbo, that’s all the insulation you’re going to need.

A little gold tape on the intercooler won’t hurt anything, but if you’re on stock TMIC, I’d start saving your pennies for something better than stock. You’ll see bigger/faster drops in temp and less pressure drop with a freer flowing IC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Honestly, and with respect…. If you’ve done a blanket and 2 sheilds… stop spending your money. You’re good.

Unless you are flogging the living crap out of the car/engine/turbo, that’s all the insulation you’re going to need.

A little gold tape on the intercooler won’t hurt anything, but if you’re on stock TMIC, I’d start saving your pennies for something better than stock. You’ll see bigger/faster drops in temp and less pressure drop with a freer flowing IC.

Since I’ve gotten this car, my middle name has been Overkill 🤣 but you are correct. I’m happy with this setup I’ve got, but I’m willing to listen… what kind of an intercooler are you talking about? 

Look for a Grimmspeed tmic, they are not cheap, but they are easy to install and remove when needed. Back when GS was thinking about it, they came on here and asked us what we wanted in a tmic. They filled all the request with their great product. I did buy two of them.

I even met Matt when they were at the Wicked Big Meet years ago.

DSCN7057.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

^
this.

If I am going to spend your money, then agreed with Max…

I will, however, put my money where my mouth is:80487164-D131-4269-8D83-07C1AFE0A8AF.thumb.jpeg.37a3884d19f76d40464fe829920a5dca.jpeg

But then I’d need a new Protune, correct? And honestly what are the benefits? More hp? Reliability?…

I don't think you need a Pro Tune if you already have a custom tune... KZ may know for sure. I may have had my Tuner do a quick street tune but tit was a long time ago.

I do know for an exhaust change, after the turbo you don't need a tune once you have a tune for the 3" Dp.