LegacyGT.com

Stock turbo/aftermarket blanket

I defer to @m sprank in these matters, but yeah. Cooler air charge = less chance of knock and longer engine life.

Less pressure drop through the IC means your turbo isn’t working quite as hard to hit boost targets, etc… faster recovery times with the larger cooling area of the bigger IC.

Not saying you need to get one at all. But, at 15-18 years old, the plastic end tank stock IC’s are probably approaching a point where they begin to fail, and they are known to let go where the aluminium crimps hold the plastic, especially at the turbo side.

Just that if you’re looking to find a place to spend more money, there wilL a lot more gain (for a lot money) with an upgraded intercooler….

Cylinder 4 cooling mods are cheap, and the results from testing show they do help spread out heat better throughout the heads, which is also good if you are worrying about heat causing you problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I might have gone overboard, but I completely covered the hot side of the TMIC in two layers of the gold stuff, and the backside of the turbo expansion tank and also the hot part of the backside of the engine cover. One top layer for the cooler side of the TMIC, and that's it!

One sheet did all that, and I feel it was totally worth it. I didn't do the inside of the stock turbo heat shield, because a blanket and stock heat shield along w/the SPT shield is probably enough. That bracket wasn't budging, so I just bought a new one for 9 bucks. The SPT shield actually bolts on solid now. So that's all good.

Yes, that's a brand new stock TMIC(upgraded version) and SS mesh from Pegasus, with the bulletproof mod. I'm fairly happy with it now, and it totally solved the heat buildup that I was getting. With the engine cover on, it just looks stock and clean. 

image.thumb.jpeg.7a8f4225833c8db469ea4d129cc3962d.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4abdac3e66a9e95397d555ddb506dbd7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.398300bb5ee8e86c9d7c9ce700459628.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.042cf2743cc0d73a9c22221d45d2a44a.jpeg

image.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b4cefa1f79b6b0d87f9139ea98edf5f0.jpeg

Edited by Jolbaru_LGT
  • Like 3