LegacyGT.com

ECM 2024 planning thread

boxkita

5 hours ago, SubOperator said:

We should do a group buy on new SBs. My wagon's engine needs new head gaskets soon but with the mileage on this original motor I need a new SB too.

Duh.

if such an animal exists as a group buy of new SBs lets go for it! Just passed 265k on what i strongly believe is the original SB

Now where is the "getting ready for the meet" thread so I can fire off questions on tiny detail type questions of what to do? @JmP6889928 get ready, cause I'll have a vf40 for your magic to be worked on once I pull it

• Like 3

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 hour ago, jaylew said:

if such an animal exists as a group buy of new SBs lets go for it! Just passed 265k on what i strongly believe is the original SB

Now where is the "getting ready for the meet" thread so I can fire off questions on tiny detail type questions of what to do? @JmP6889928 get ready, cause I'll have a vf40 for your magic to be worked on once I pull it

+1

Someone start calling dealerships. I want an RA block in the parts stash as well. 😃

My local gives me a 15% discount because of my old-ass car(s) and that I send people their way a little.

I have been tempted to go in and ask nicely before ordering anything if the discount applies to ya know… anything. If they said ‘yes’ then immediately order an RA SB. Hah!

• Like 1

Ok... No BS, if you want SB's I can get them.  BUT your "maybe 10-20" buyers is NOT a group buy on sb's.  You are not going to get a great price from a dealership.  They make 95% of their profit on parts, not car sales.  They buy the parts at a mark up and then mark them up again.  The trick is going direct to Japan.  I can get you SB's at 50% off, but I need a minimum of 100 buyers. 

Thats how the big boys do it.  I have seen cargo containers of SB's delivered.  I have gone in on the buys.  5k short blocks, 10k water pumps, orders like that.  You need to fill a 30ft Conex box with short blocks to get a real discount. 

• Like 1

mmmm @m sprank  that is a steep number of SB's haha. I just see the price is generally $2100. I plan to keep a stock set up in the end so tuning will be simple(ish)

@KZJonny 15% is decent (if the starting price is similar to what I see). I'll have to call local dealerships as well to see if they are willing to help keep an old LGT wagon on the road haha

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

3 minutes ago, jaylew said:

mmmm @m sprank  that is a steep number of SB's haha. I just see the price is generally $2100. I plan to keep a stock set up in the end so tuning will be simple(ish)

@KZJonny 15% is decent (if the starting price is similar to what I see). I'll have to call local dealerships as well to see if they are willing to help keep an old LGT wagon on the road haha

Do it. Don't ask, don't get.

I don't buy everything from my local dealer, clearly. However, I am there and they know me a little. One or two guys know my car, even tho it's never on a lift in their service bay.

I had a chat with their service advisor, and asked if there was any loyalty discount for driving old Subies. He said especially since my car(s) predate the dealeship, and they don't stock much for cars they never sold +more Subarus on the road makes them look good they do a little discount on parts for people like me. Keep the goodwill flowing, and that % of Subarus beyond X years old still on the road high for their ad campaign, presumably...

As far as @m sprank's offer, I really wish I knew enough people or had enough money and space to warehouse that number of short blocks. Hah! I do not, but dang! half price short blocks sounds awesome. Maybe if we all buy 2? Same investment, twice the reward? 🤪

9 hours ago, KZJonny said:

You need someone to ah... fluff your pillow as well? Anything else we can all do to accomodate? 😉

I'm pretty sure a pillow fluff would be an extreme step up. Not trying to be a grumpy bastard as I mostly don't remember much about setting up the bivy sack the first night. sleeping in the surbuban the 2nd night was a major step up. A pillow fluff? does that include the chocolate mint too?

8 hours ago, JJBerk said:

The guy who slept in his car 'cause he couldn't figure out his tent is worried about which direction the windows are facing???

Yeah , I'm pretty sure I can find a lake facing room after the contact high I'm expecting to get. 3 of us sober couldn't figure out the tent in the daylight without resorting to youtube.

Im pretty Im going to be happy not sleeping in a vehicle this time.

• Haha 2

15% off on a SB is good.  I am still in contact with one place that makes BIG order direct from Fuji.  But I would need to by a lot to get in.  More money than I could get my hands on and more inventory than I would want to deal with. 

But I remember being "baller" enough a shop to get in on the buys and pick up a Uhaul full of SB's, water pumps, oil pumps, etc.  From the driveway of the REAL BALLER SHOP OWNER who had multiple Conex boxes stacked like his own port of entry.

• Like 3

I got a dozen sb from a shop in oregon that was shutting down. he offered me anything I could fit in the pickup. when i mentioned sb, he took me outside to a truck size trash container filled 2 layers deep with sb.  he had already dumped an entire container earlier in the week. closed decks, semi-, regular, intakes, exhausts, just piles of stuff. My wife was giving me the death glare by the time we left.

I had to buy a large tarp to cover the pickup bed to get it all home. Race wagon parts were stacked about 4 feet above the cab. Washington has very strict load tiedown laws.

• Like 2

The "used" parts containers were at his shop.  I lost count at a dozen.  If it was in one of those containers I could have it free.  Thats were I found the sb for my Forester, lol.  Raping those containers kept my 10.5:1 engine build cost down to about $1500.  Took me a year to collect all the parts though. 

• Like 2

Are the dates on the first post the updated ones?  Really trying to talk the wifey in to making the drive for the weekend.  May even be able to talk the son and DIL in to coming if we can drive on Watkins.

Was able to get the driver side actuator, but did have to pull the cluster, AND had to have someone skinnier than me to reach it.

AND put an axle-back on the Ascent...that biotch is louuddd.  Much louder than any of the videos posted, foresee traffic stops in the future.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:27 AM, m sprank said:

All I see are those mileage numbers in your sig. 

I "think out loud" man how do they keep them going without a rebuild, I never made it past 100k with an EJ.  The shot from the peanut gallery hits me "It was downright frightening sitting passenger with you at the wheel".  What/when I reply to the wall.  "Like, from the moment I met you until you owned the shop and Mary was born" laughs back at me from out of sight.  I dont recall any of that I retort.  "The road is my racetrack, I pay taxes and they built it for me, hmmmmmmmmmm.  You were that asshat for so long".   I love you too!

All those had the HG done, way past 100K though. My LGT at 178K, Tribeca at 155K, 05 NA OB at 198K. 2010 OB I do not recall but when the TOB went I did the HG also, simply because the engine was already out.

I have now got rid of engine hoist and engine stand. Hoping wagon's engine lasts another season before I have to deal with bubbles in the expansion tank.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

ECM 2024 - Keuka Lake, NY

House rental reserved for: June 6  2024 @ 4pm - June 13 2024 @ 10am (Weekend is 7/8/9)

405 miles from home. Hope wagon is in good enough shape to make it there and back home.

Need to figure out the dates and whether boys are looking to attend so we can get the math figured out.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 6:40 PM, m sprank said:

Ok... No BS, if you want SB's I can get them.  BUT your "maybe 10-20" buyers is NOT a group buy on sb's.  You are not going to get a great price from a dealership.  They make 95% of their profit on parts, not car sales.  They buy the parts at a mark up and then mark them up again.  The trick is going direct to Japan.  I can get you SB's at 50% off, but I need a minimum of 100 buyers. 

Thats how the big boys do it.  I have seen cargo containers of SB's delivered.  I have gone in on the buys.  5k short blocks, 10k water pumps, orders like that.  You need to fill a 30ft Conex box with short blocks to get a real discount. 

That's not my territory, if I can get 5 or 10% off on SB from my dealer that would be great. They give me 20% on small-ish orders but SB is a different kind of animal.

A coworker is offering a built long block from his totaled 06 LGT, but a) he's not sure if timing belt jumped, and b) engine is in the car still. Not sure I am in the shape, physical and mental, to pull the engine on the driveway in this weather.

• Like 4

I will hit up Byron again.  He never replied to my first.

Its official.  Wife and daughter say he is coming to ECM.  So far the ladies prefer the moniker "Teddy", I vote "Pedro".  Me thinks I am losing this battle. 

Ricky.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

for those of you having issues getting cars ready, a Ken Block car is on bring a trailer. It's been a well-loved car it's whole life and should easily make the drive to the meet.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-subaru-2-5-rs-rally-car/

As an owner of a previously jumped subaru racecar, I can attest to the robustness of such a car.

E940164D-5B36-4D45-BD8D-8B3B6CC33874.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2023 at 8:22 PM, boxkita said:

for those of you having issues getting cars ready, a Ken Block car is on bring a trailer. It's been a well-loved car it's whole life and should easily make the drive to the meet.

As an owner of a previously jumped subaru racecar, I can attest to the robustness of such a car.

I almost scraped enough pocket change to put a bid above current $66K USD but shipping is outrageous:

image.png.10e0ce62a2541974cf251599b96051e7.png

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2023 at 6:22 PM, boxkita said:

145k wasn't enough for the reserve. good luck to seller. it's going to need work to get to the price they want.

seems like one of those crappy na car ads "i know what i have". :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's a much more realistic choice of car from BaT for @m sprank to come to ECM2024:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-subaru-legacy-3/

image.png.2b8fe372a184a022cf256d7c8f50da97.png

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Here's a much more realistic choice of car from BaT for @m sprank to come to ECM2024:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1998-subaru-legacy-3/

image.png.2b8fe372a184a022cf256d7c8f50da97.png

Love the colour and the wheels. I would not be a happy camper with the RHD and 4eat….

But! That would at least definitely least make it to the ECM!! 

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2