LegacyGT.com

ECM 2024 planning thread

boxkita

On 4/23/2024 at 10:37 AM, jaylew said:

@KZJonny That is on my radar. My current top options are

This manual X5 cause its cool and can tow 6k lb (though im not a fan of crossover/suv's)

An 08/09 outback in manual is also on the table cause I have so many spares from the GT that its "easy" to get running.

An E91 manual awd bmw wagon. I am familiar with that platform and could be good

I am considering an AWD toyota siena just to keep things odd as that could be a solid winter skiing car

I have seen a 2014 outback with the 6 speed, but I am totally unfamiliar with that FA engine platform and reliability.

BMWs should be plenty around Boston... As for Sienna keep in mind that last generation's AWD is electric motor in the rear that's only active up to 30mph.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On 4/24/2024 at 11:13 AM, jaylew said:

back to the regularly scheduled meet conversation... @SubOperator when do you plan on heading out for the trip?

Our plan is to head out on Thursday and start back Sunday. Will be in 2 cars as last year - BRZ and LGT. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Beer list time?

All.  Bring everything that fits. Skip all general necessities and pack more beer. 

Duff brand too. Must have Duff, and donuts with sprinkles, and a liquid filled bowling ball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, boxkita said:

idk who brought the Aligash white but I'd have another of those.

Isnt @KZJonny working on a special ECM 24 beer? Or was it he was emptying the warehouse again?  :)

I'll bring some beer to share, no worry. ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, SubOperator said:

Our plan is to head out on Thursday and start back Sunday. Will be in 2 cars as last year - BRZ and LGT. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Ok, if there is space I may ask to catch a ride (can take the conversation to texting). I was leaning towards this option if possible but now my wife and I just picked up a rescue Malamute last week that we are working through some separation anxiety  so we'll see how she is doing in a few weeks, this might be the nail in the coffin for my ability to attend this year  :(.  On topic of ECM (throw back to swag from last year's meet), @JJBerk thanks for the branded travel dog bowl, came it clutch!!!

dog bowl.jpg

• Like 3

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Teddy will be about 8 months old meet time. We checked into boarding (he has been  there since yesterday while we celebrate Mary's b-day at Great Wolf Lodge).  For what they charge, I need to build a kennel and start a new business.  So, chances are our pup is attending. 

I will hit up Brian for a sticker/art update this week.  I can order tees too if people want.  Might need to "share" the cost some this year. I "probably" overspent last year.  

• Like 2

Ah man!! I really wanted to see your wagon coal-rolling around Watkins Glen. ;)

9 minutes ago, jaylew said:

Ok, if there is space I may ask to catch a ride (can take the conversation to texting). I was leaning towards this option if possible but now my wife and I just picked up a rescue Malamute last week that we are working through some separation anxiety  so we'll see how she is doing in a few weeks, this might be the nail in the coffin for my ability to attend this year  :(.  On topic of ECM (throw back to swag from last year's meet), @JJBerk thanks for the branded travel dog bowl, came it clutch!!!

dog bowl.jpg

• Haha 1

If i roll coal too much, I might throw a piston through the block from detonation.

Amending the sticker would be hilarious! Each year there is just a number given out to cross off the last years date. Perpetual 2345678 etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

I have launched my fair share of aluminum across tracks, roads and parking lots.  Lol.  

Shot piston and valves out the exhaust pipe once too.  Who knew it was "battle" race day.  Shrapnel in your face.  I was racing desert on a quad. 

Launched a piton right through the block, through the fender (not the hood and it was a Toyota 4 banger), across the street throwing sparks as it skipped. Frigging fireworks. Pedestrians were scambling.

Had a crank separate and open an exit in the block.  Never found the other half that crank????

Had 5th gear cut through the housing like a band saw. Watched the gear exit from the rear view.  Actually got her into 2nd and finished with one gear, no oil and no engine or trans left.

I have more too.  I pay to play. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, jaylew said:

Ok, if there is space I may ask to catch a ride (can take the conversation to texting). I was leaning towards this option if possible

@jaylew I'll give you a ride no problem, we might end up going a little slower than last year since I do not want to push the engine too hard - it was pushing coolant last year when we were going 85 mph on the highway.

Just need to work out the logistics of meeting somewhere.

@boxkita I believe we brought the Aligash last year, will keep this in mind... I also need to bring that JDM mirror for @KZJonny, along with some bumper clips etc.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Thanks 1

Construction manual labor.  Guess I am not 16 anymore.  Slower but like the tortoise I keep moving.  Gives me new respect for @KZJonny and his garage build.

Interior build out progress on the She Shed.

Gonna need that week at Finger Lakes to recover.

20240430_155942.jpg

20240430_155951.jpg

20240430_160004.jpg

20240501_153316.jpg

20240501_165134.jpg

• Like 7

13 hours ago, boxkita said:

@m sprankwhat's black plastic on roof?

Rafter vents. Vented eaves through rafter vents to vented ridge.  Going to be cathedral ceilings. This should allow ventilation and reduce the risk of condensation as there will be no attic.  I actually permitted my project. Doing it by the book. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Rafter vents. Vented eaves through rafter vents to vented ridge.  Going to be cathedral ceilings. This should allow ventilation and reduce the risk of condensation as there will be no attic.  I actually permitted my project. Doing it by the book. 

Makes sense now. I know what they are, but around me, you usually just install them at the bottom a little, to keep insulation from falling in to the eaves and stopping air flow... Maybe 3-4 feet.

Feeding into a ridge vent + cathedral ceiling makes sense that youd have them go up the whole way.

Edited by KZJonny

1 hour ago, Enlight said:

I thought I posted something a few days ago but I guess not - turns out starting a new business keeps one busy! In any case, I'm super looking forward to seeing everyone again (and bringing @KZJonny his orders!).

Congrats on the new business!

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Makes sense now. I know what they are, but around me, you usually just install them at the bottom a little, to keep insulation from falling in to the eaves and stopping air flow... Maybe 3-4 feet.

Feeding into a ridge vent + cathedral ceiling makes sense that youd have them go up the whole way.

Yes sir.  Standard is 48" when a standard lid is used.  I had to research for the proper use with cathedral ceiling. I had to make eave baffles with 1" foam too and seal those with expanding foam.  So air can only go up the vents.  We routinely have winds over 40mph so it's code to seal for blow through.  

R-11 floors, R-13 walls, R-15 ceiling.  OSB for wall and ceiling panel.  She wants flooring too.  Gonna rent it out as an ADU when she graduates to recover the costs, LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1